Slow in Pick Up

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

etquah

I am having drivng E90 for a month and notice that when i lift the accelarator off when going down hill and find it the pick-up is a bit slow when i step on it again for power. Any old timers E90 can give me advice, is it normal or I have to take back to the workshop for some programming ??:106:

hmmnn... sounds like turbo lag to me.. :p I test driven the GTI Mark V lately, I am so not familiar to it's power delivery manner.

Pedal slowly, the car felt like having hand brake not released. Pedal a little more, power suddenly kick in and push you like a train. By the time the power comes, I scramble to look for the brake pedal and their brake is so grippy.. its a very raw and uncivilised car. Muffler is noisy, road noise and vibration from the stiff suspension and 18" runner is so bumpy over Malaysian road, most of the time keep spotting for pot holes to avoid. So tension driving the car..

Jumping back into my BLM E90, its like sudden found peace, back to civilisation, relax, smooth delivery of power, that's what some auto commentator referred to as "civilised" power delivery.

I'm not sure how retard is yours but adding a Sprint Booster does help improve on the instantaneous response, a lot more jerky and uncivilised, some like it, some don't.

etquah;425206 said:
when i lift the accelarator off when going down hill and find it the pick-up is a bit slow when i step on it again for power.

I don't have a E90, but I believe E90 has built in "level-sensor" (or whatever it call) to sense if you are going up or down hill. Your car will automatically downshift for power or engine break. With that, you need to press you gas pedal a little harder/deeper to gain back the speed.

If you don't like that, try to shifti your gear manually. Going higher gear will make your car "glide" down much faster, but not a safe practice.

Hope this help.

Hmmnn.. have not brought the E90 to Genting, must try one day to see how intelligent is the level sensing or descend control in the transmission works. So far don't feel a thing driving around town, just plain smooth shooting like an arrow and made me keep asking for more :D .. unlike my old Perdana.

Perdana calls it FussyLogic, meaning auto shift lock from upshift if uphill, down shift to engine brake to maintain speed when down hill.

turbology;425367 said:
my E36 equipped with 2 high tech level sensors : ear drum, and left hand :D

that's all u ever need, the rest are pure value add so they can make more money..

etquah: How much is the mileage on your ride? My experience was that in the first 10k kms or so, acceleration was so-so, but after that it starts to get more interesting.

So conclusion is you need to drive your car more to give it higher mileage ;)

racheltoh;425435 said:
furthermore...u were using auto , manual or half&half

True, true, valid point brought up by on only leng lui E90 member (correct me if I'm wrong).. :p

With the half&half mode, the up/down shift is more "sticky", "reluctant", "sensitive", higher rev, fur at your back standing up, standing by for pouncing at unsuspecting prey.

Try use the half&half mode to see if it suits you better. I love it! :love:

Sadly, you're probably correct astro. :D I don't find that it downshifts in D mode when decending a slope if the speed doesn't retard or you don't stab the brakes, so what etquah may have experienced is that he's still in high gear at the bottom of the slope and hence pickup will be poor. In S mode, it tends to downshift more. So if 'half&half' is S mode, etquah should try it.

Frankly, I always thought 'half&half' is a coffee creamer... :p

Schwepps;425537 said:

You are right bro!

51vlrpOUVZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

astroboy;425348 said:
Hmmnn.. have not brought the E90 to Genting, must try one day to see how intelligent is the level sensing or descend control in the transmission works. So far don't feel a thing driving around town, just plain smooth shooting like an arrow and made me keep asking for more :D .. unlike my old Perdana.

Perdana calls it FussyLogic, meaning auto shift lock from upshift if uphill, down shift to engine brake to maintain speed when down hill.

taliking about genting...havent been there since 2004, issit safe to drive our bimmer up there? i meant which hotel has a higher occupancy for civilised occupants to aviod vandalism to our beloved ride?

Spaceman;425578 said:
taliking about genting...havent been there since 2004, issit safe to drive our bimmer up there? i meant which hotel has a higher occupancy for civilised occupants to aviod vandalism to our beloved ride?

you meant the BMW can handle the drive up to Genting or worry abut gearbox wear & tear

GHS;425428 said:
etquah: How much is the mileage on your ride? My experience was that in the first 10k kms or so, acceleration was so-so, but after that it starts to get more interesting.

So conclusion is you need to drive your car more to give it higher mileage ;)

2000 km, guess not enought mileage yet bro

Schwepps;425537 said:
Sadly, you're probably correct astro. :D I don't find that it downshifts in D mode when decending a slope if the speed doesn't retard or you don't stab the brakes, so what etquah may have experienced is that he's still in high gear at the bottom of the slope and hence pickup will be poor. In S mode, it tends to downshift more. So if 'half&half' is S mode, etquah should try it.

Maybe you are right. Next time I will dab the brake & see what happen. You use the manual shift ? a bit lost here.

Apart from Sprint Booster , is there any after market product that boost up the torque and performance?

etquah;425603 said:
Maybe you are right. Next time I will dab the brake & see what happen. You use the manual shift ? a bit lost here.

etquah, at 2000km, you're at the end of the run-in period, so you can step on the accelerator and get kick-downs from now on. In D (auto) mode, just step harder on the accelerator and you'll get a kick-down. If you want a double kick-down, just step all the way to the end and go past it to the 2nd stop - your car will take off like a rocket. In S (sport) mode, you'll find that the gearshifts are more lively anyway and will probably downshift on the way down the slope. You don't have to use M (manual) mode for normal driving - I never use it.

Experiment to find the best way for you to enjoy your UDM. :wink:

Top Bottom