Should I buy Z4 or 350Z?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hey Stud..........u're one humorous due. Best of luck to your final decision...be it a 350Z or Z4.

And yes, 1st+ point to choose a Z4 is the soundproof of the convertible is unbelievable compare to the 350z convertible.2nd+ point is u hav us the Z's gang to go TT with...lol!!!!

Stud_Daddy;350718 said:
Ok, thanks. I need to know how much spare change I need to do all this when/if I buy the Z4.

front is straight swap...

the rear light is different, u'll need the facelift bumper as well.....

Hey Stud, I can't say much - a Bimmer is a totally different league comparing to other car, name it continental or japanese. it stands on it's own - non comparable to others! period...

bmw4eva;349764 said:
Wow, that would be a hard choice for me too. But after weighing the pros and cons, I'd go with the Z4 2.5.

Though the 350Z is slightly quicker and faster, neither one is really blisteringly fast. However, I choose the Z4 simply because of its rare factor.I see a lot of those 350Zs running around in Klang Valley.When was the last time you saw a Z4 on the road? If you don't mind upgrading the Z4 slightly to the 3.0 liter version, the performance will be similar to that of the 350Z.

If choosing the 350Z means the maintenance is cheaper, think again.The Z4 basically has the suspension of a 3 series(plus its engine and gearbox), so parts interchangeability(and hence availability)is better.The 350Z shares its engine and platform with the FM cars(notably the R35 Skyline, which is a very rare sight in Malaysia).Except for a few Murano's, do you see any other Nissan car with a 3.5 liter V6? Parts for the 350Z will definitely be harder to get, and won't necessarily be cheaper, either.

Of course, I'm always biased towards BMW's anyway.But from a neutral standpoint, you can't go wrong choosing either the 350Z or the Z4. Btw, I think the opinions of the people who favors the 350Z are also the people who are biased towards Japanese cars, anyway.

That's my 2 sen.

Totally agree with this one bro. RARITY is the keyword if u're spending some 300k on a two seater...I wouldnt wanna be driving something I can see all over the roads.

Lols.... STud_daddy... tat was hilariously written. Got me in stiches and wanting to get my ass waxed too. And btw, ur list of wanna-do's are eerily freakin similar to mine too. Incidentally, I added another item on da list which includes makin out with the top open in my roadster (with my ass waxed N tattooed first). lols.:rolleyes::stupid:

Stud_Daddy;350723 said:
Hey man thanks for your inputs; I appreciate it. Your English is fine, I understand everything you said. But don't apply for The Apprentice.

There are a few things I've always wanted to get in my life.....get a heated toilet bowl, get a tattoo, get a double-jointed gymnast girlfriend, get circumsized, get my hair long, get a monkey, get guitar lessons, get a 3some, get allagappa's secret curry powder recipe, get my ass waxed........... AND get a sports convertible.......don't care even if i'm driving through the lalat infested roads of Sungai Lembu on a steamy hot Malaysian afternoon........must have convertible. Plus it will be my second car. My daily slave car is my trusty Wira.

So I've definietly set my mind to buy a "convertible" sometime next montha nd nothing else.........right after I get my ass waxed. I recently (unwillingly) discovered at the Pearl View hotel spa that the absolute ugliest sight in the whole world is the rear view of a naked, semi-hairy man bent forward.

By the way, Sungai Lembu is is kaw. parlimen Permatang Pauh.....about 5 minutes from where I live.

Done!!! I have convinced him to move or to the dark side!! hehehe!!!

stud,

since u've decided on the Z4, here's my personal tips on buying one...i wrote this checklist after much research and before I start my own search. Sorry if my english is not so good....

Start from outside;
Headlights – Xenon? check condition, are they pitted? Faded? Cracked? especially the foggies coz they sit way too low
Bodywork – straight?, flush on edges, no scratches, stone chips, if u have the paint depth analyzer, even better....can easily tell if the car had any accident before, even a minor one haha
touch the paint...the paint still smooth? (bonus), if not...need the detaling job....this is not important, but it's good to have
Tires – even wear, expiry date, thread left, run flat? I hate the RFTs because of its tramlining characteristics. If the car has normal tires, to me it's a plus...but pls make sure the mobility kit is at the back
does it have the rain sensor? (another plus to have)
Chrome exhaust tips? the stock exhaust is too small & dull looking
Front & Rear windscreen no scratches, cracks
Is the car tinted? Brand?

Sit inside;
Check seatbelt tag...it will tell the production date. some cars the dealers have cut this tag
Check all switch…one touch works, central locking, bonnet & trunk release
Seats – leather, electric memory (a plus), sport bucket (major pluses), heated (not needed but hey it's a bonus). So far, I've seen 3 types and my order of preference...sport bucket, normal leather, fabric.
Interior trim – check the center console for scratches, faded. This car dont have space to put coins etc....so the center console is the easiest place to keep keys/coins, hence it is subject to scratches
Is the rear view mirror ok? on some cars, the green liquid on the mirror surface (i think for auto dim) tend to spoil.....not cheap to replace
Steering – MF? (another bonus to have)
Check CD changer catridge at the center storage...make sure it's there
Count the speakers….hi spec cars got 10, normal got 6 only

Start engine;
See all warning lights, any peculiarity?
Mileage? Auto or manual roof? (I prefer auto, some likes manual coz they are worried about the motor), test it to make sure its working (6sec to drop, another 6 to bring up) Wind deflector (nice to have, good for topless cruisin') SatNav? (another bonus)
Check all lights working, switches functioning, aircond blowing cold air

Open the hood;
Hear the engine, detect any leakages
Check VIN no....straight log in to realoem.com to verify production date against the reg card (if u have 3G la & within coverage haha)
When the engine turnes off, check the dipstick, see the color and level

Pop the trunk;
look under the carpet for sign of accident
check if tool pouch is there
if the car has wind deflector, make sure the storage brackets are there on the inner surface of the boot lid...
check the carpet, it should look very new...hey, it's a roadster...not to ferry stuff around

if u have found 'the' car, bring it to your trusted mechanic to check the genuine mileage & undercarriage....dun trust the odometer :top:

good luck bro!!!

shaifulo;351039 said:
stud,

since u've decided on the Z4, here's my personal tips on buying one...i wrote this checklist after much research and before I start my own search. Sorry if my english is not so good....

Start from outside;
Headlights – Xenon? check condition, are they pitted? Faded? Cracked? especially the foggies coz they sit way too low
Bodywork – straight?, flush on edges, no scratches, stone chips, if u have the paint depth analyzer, even better....can easily tell if the car had any accident before, even a minor one haha
touch the paint...the paint still smooth? (bonus), if not...need the detaling job....this is not important, but it's good to have
Tires – even wear, expiry date, thread left, run flat? I hate the RFTs because of its tramlining characteristics. If the car has normal tires, to me it's a plus...but pls make sure the mobility kit is at the back
does it have the rain sensor? (another plus to have)
Chrome exhaust tips? the stock exhaust is too small & dull looking
Front & Rear windscreen no scratches, cracks
Is the car tinted? Brand?
ffice:eek:ffice" />:p> :p>
Sit inside;
Check seatbelt tag...it will tell the production date. some cars the dealers have cut this tag
Check all switch…one touch works, central locking, bonnet & trunk release
Seats – leather, electric memory (a plus), sport bucket (major pluses), heated (not needed but hey it's a bonus). So far, I've seen 3 types and my order of preference...sport bucket, normal leather, fabric.
Interior trim – check the center console for scratches, faded. This car dont have space to put coins etc....so the center console is the easiest place to keep keys/coins, hence it is subject to scratches
Is the rear view mirror ok? on some cars, the green liquid on the mirror surface (i think for auto dim) tend to spoil.....not cheap to replace
Steering – MF? (another bonus to have)
Check CD changer catridge at the center storage...make sure it's there
Count the speakers….hi spec cars got 10, normal got 6 only
:p> :p>
Start engine;
See all warning lights, any peculiarity?
Mileage? Auto or manual roof? (I prefer auto, some likes manual coz they are worried about the motor), test it to make sure its working (6sec to drop, another 6 to bring up) Wind deflector (nice to have, good for topless cruisin') SatNav? (another bonus)
Check all lights working, switches functioning, aircond blowing cold air
:p> :p>
Open the hood;
Hear the engine, detect any leakages
Check VIN no....straight log in to realoem.com to verify production date against the reg card (if u have 3G la & within coverage haha)
When the engine turnes off, check the dipstick, see the color and level

Pop the trunk;
look under the carpet for sign of accident
check if tool pouch is there
if the car has wind deflector, make sure the storage brackets are there on the inner surface of the boot lid...
check the carpet, it should look very new...hey, it's a roadster...not to ferry stuff around

if u have found 'the' car, bring it to your trusted mechanic to check the genuine mileage & undercarriage....dun trust the odometer :top:

good luck bro!!!

Thanks for the detailed tips. I think I'll need to be a little patient before I can find the right car.....probably several trips to KL before I find a good unit........ but I tell you if I find a facelifted (clear lights) version that fits my budget I will be willing to compromise on some of the specs you highlighted above.

If anyone here comes across any Z4 for sale do let me know.

facelift ones will be 06 & above models. except at those big authrized dealers, I've not seen a single facelift Z4 for sale by the grey importers. I think 200k wont get u this version

shaifulo;351052 said:
facelift ones will be 06 & above models. except at those big authrized dealers, I've not seen a single facelift Z4 for sale by the grey importers. I think 200k wont get u this version

But I just found one 2005 facelift that sold for RM220K in KL. The salesman told me that if the buyer's loan doesn't get through, he will call me in a couple of days. Its also on Motor Trader.

Stud_Daddy;351053 said:
But I just found one 2005 facelift that sold for RM220K in KL. The salesman told me that if the buyer's loan doesn't get through, he will call me in a couple of days. Its also on Motor Trader.

05 would not be a facelift one, probably upgraded light with amber erase/delete, the bumper will still be the old one w/ round foggies. the kidney grille wud be graphite...just like our friend eymc's car

shaifulo;351059 said:
05 would not be a facelift one, probably upgraded light with amber erase/delete, the bumper will still be the old one w/ round foggies. the kidney grille wud be graphite...just like our friend eymc's car

Correcto....:)

'06 ones have LED lines rear lights + new front & rear different bumpers.

Dude, if you plan mods for the car then the 350z should be your choice. If you plan to keep it neat and clean, then the Z4 is the way to go.

On another note, I heard the 350z is about to be replaced by the 370z, whereas the Z4 should still have another good 1-2 years left. There should some official pictures circulating around the Internet. Try googling Infiniti(nissan in the States) 370z.

Cheerios.

Go for the Z4. Its a BMW. Its iconic. 10 or 20 years later, people would still say the Z4 is an iconic car, but not many would give a second look on the Nissan 350Z (like many of the old Japanese sport cars). Personally, the Japanese sports and sedans have always been looking up or follow the BMWs, Mercs, Porsches, etc. I love my E46 now, but maybe soon, I may change it for a Z4. I'm thinking since I already have a family MPV (no need to worry about ferry-ing family members), Z4 is a good choice, it is kind of a "selfish" vehicle (2 seaters), but sure its more exciting to drive around.

Will keep you all informed soon of my new decision and puchase.

Check out Chris Bangle's description of Z4 design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzfCF0-Lv0

krazer;351450 said:
Dude, if you plan mods for the car then the 350z should be your choice. If you plan to keep it neat and clean, then the Z4 is the way to go.

On another note, I heard the 350z is about to be replaced by the 370z, whereas the Z4 should still have another good 1-2 years left. There should some official pictures circulating around the Internet. Try googling Infiniti(nissan in the States) 370z.

Cheerios.
actually hamai, i think i read somewhere z4 stopped production... could be wrong cos i lazy to google up a sauce...

edit: ok, i googled it
http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/07/24/bmw-z4-to-stop-production-in-august/

Top Bottom