Seven months on...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bruce_Z

Club Guest
Its been abt 7 month already on my f30 328i. Sharing some views of the car since this F30 is turning out to be quite a different animal than my previous e90:- Variable sport steering: im still getting used to it. In comfort mode its slightly too light, while in sport mode the wieght seem artificial and not so easy to modulate in high speed turns. Still missing the e90 steering feel...50/100- The standard passive suspension: nice for slow and town driving, given the continuous road constructions eveywhere. Not so good when im in the mood for spirited driving. When in sport mode, the combination of its softness plus the variable sport steering artificalness, is not so encouraging. M performance could be the solution for this...50/100- The N20 engine: loving it. As a former owner of a mk5 gti, im struck of how similar the n20 feel to the that engine, but offcourse this one is faster accelerating. A small turbo lag is still there tough, and i can never seem to get 6.3/100km. No biggie since im quite heavy footed...100/100-8 Speed sport auto: great. Who needs M-DCT or DSG if autos are as fast as this?... 100/100- Driving experience modes - Need to have a user configurable mode, somewhere between comfort and sport whrevwe could select and change the car chassis setting. Id pick sport steering setting, comfort throttle/gear settings, and sport suspension setting as the default drive mode,..70/100- Ecopro mode: good. Liked the fact that i could extend the fuel range when im in traffic crawls. Wished that more extreme measures included inthe future like cylinder deactivation, etc...80/100- Auto start stop: happy with it. Ive learned to regularly switch it off in traffic crawls and it works well when at traffic lights. Good to know that the car us trying to help save fuel and reduce pollution when not moving. But could be better if there is a variable start delay setting..e.g. It would work better in traffic crawls if the ASS delays activation by abt 2 seconds after the car stops...80/100- Stereo: hmm..must say that the sound quality seem to be getting better. Is this the electronics/speakers now "burned in" or my ears adjusted to them? Not sure but enjoying it more nowadays...70/100- Connected drive: More needs to be done here. the basics given are too small. Need Bmw Assist & Bmw Remote which sadly is not retrofittable, it seems. Would love feature to send gps destinations to the car fromm googlemaps for e.g. But loving the fact that at least i can listen to web radio stations when 3G is working, and the Bluetooth connectivity is good..50/100- Sound insulation: so-so. Kinda weird, since at slow-mid speeds, it can be bothersome, but high speeds its more or less the same as the e90s. Dont think this is gonna change, so have accepted this "character"...50/100- Driving in small spaces : this car feels bigger than the e90. I tend to be more cautious driving in parking lots, etc, since the front seems longer (actually it is by 4 inches overall). Always ended up with more space infront of the car when parkingdue to this. Using the visual front PDC helps a little bit....80/100- The key fob: is toooo big. To fit in my pocket. I also now think its a bit weird that i have to use the fob to open/ close the doors but do not need it to start the car...the fob is half-half in use. Comfort Access should be standard, then it will be complete...80/100- Others: no place to properly drive this car "to the max"...waiting for BMW to upgrade their driver-training e90 325i fleet for the Intensive Driver training school to the f30 so we can really push the envelope and find out the limits...heh heh...;)Joy overall nevertheless :)

I don't deny the car is nice to drive. Overall, I have no complaint about the capabilities of the car.

The mains killers are quality and reliability. I am going to send my F30 328 to workshop next week for the 6th round this year. My air-con broke down this morning.

Maybe, I am the most unlucky owner for this model. So far, my W204 only went in workshop for the same number of visits but for the past 4 years - mainly for routine services.

ongss;808087 said:
I don't deny the car is nice to drive. Overall, I have no complaint about the capabilities of the car.

The mains killers are quality and reliability. I am going to send my F30 328 to workshop next week for the 6th round this year. My air-con broke down this morning.

Maybe, I am the most unlucky owner for this model. So far, my W204 only went in workshop for the same number of visits but for the past 4 years - mainly for routine services.

Yeah must be frustrating if you re always in and out of the workshop with a new car.Frm my experience though, these issues will eventually be resolved. Just stay calm and keep the pressure.

This is more like it. Well done bro n i bet ur having fun!!

gendong;808115 said:
This is more like it. Well done bro n i bet ur having fun!!

Bro gendong, I heard all the issues for 2012 F30 is gone in 2013 models. Now you can proceed with booking lah!

thanks for the rating. i like it when the owner himself pointed out the pros & cons of a car based on experience. good for me if i am considering to buy one.

tIANcI;808160 said:
No place to really drive the F30? Jom Sepang! :)

Thought abt it, but too sayang to trash my own car...the last time i took my own car was when i had the e46..after like 20 laps, the tyres melted and the brakes were literally smoking, so better wait for the driver training cars :)

Bruce_Z;808196 said:
Thought abt it, but too sayang to trash my own car...the last time i took my own car was when i had the e46..melted the tyres, and the brakes were literally smoking, so better wait for the driver training cars :)

Last time you pushed darn hard, maybe take it much easier? Hehehe

An update:

Its now passed 8k on the clock:

- Car went in the SC last week.Got the steering rack replaced. Seem to have fixed the front right knocking noise. But still early days...will be monitoring how this works out in the longer run.

- A problem has came up, with the driver side power window. The auto up has stopped working. It also wound down 1/3 by itself when i wound it up..i wound it up..it comes partially down..this only happend a few times in the last few days before the auto up stopped working...hmm. Looks like another visit to the SC coming up again in the next few weeks...

Patience is a virtue.....and you are a very patient man...... :top:

Bruce_Z;809861 said:
An update:

Its now passed 8k on the clock:

- Car went in the SC last week.Got the steering rack replaced. Seem to have fixed the front right knocking noise. But still early days...will be monitoring how this works out in the longer run.

- A problem has came up, with the driver side power window. The auto up has stopped working. It also wound down 1/3 by itself when i wound it up..i wound it up..it comes partially down..this only happend a few times in the last few days before the auto up stopped working...hmm. Looks like another visit to the SC coming up again in the next few weeks...

i feel your pain bro..... i just got my car back from the SC last week.... now making appointment to SC for this week to go back in.... and its not yet the 1st service... :D

lazzydogg;810033 said:
i feel your pain bro..... i just got my car back from the SC last week.... now making appointment to SC for this week to go back in.... and its not yet the 1st service... :D

Well..this power window issue has magically disappeared by itself. The auto up is back on and no more ghostly self half-wind downs...thinking whether i still should send this car in next week.

Bruce_Z;810669 said:
Well..this power window issue has magically disappeared by itself. The auto up is back on and no more ghostly self half-wind downs...thinking whether i still should send this car in next week.
Yes you should, worse case scenario is that while you are not in your car, your window magically comes down. Downright invitation to thieves!

Bruce_Z;810669 said:

Hi bro, your window winds up and comes down automatically due to the anti pinch function. Misalligned rubber seals around your window frame might be the culprit as i experienced this before on my civic fd. I tried lubricating the seals with some silicone spray and the problem was solved permanently. hope this helps..:p

Mavik;810672 said:
Yes you should, worse case scenario is that while you are not in your car, your window magically comes down. Downright invitation to thieves!

I spoke too soon..its intermittently happening. Yes it will go in next week.

honey282;810684 said:
Hi bro, your window winds up and comes down automatically due to the anti pinch function. Misalligned rubber seals around your window frame might be the culprit as i experienced this before on my civic fd. I tried lubricating the seals with some silicone spray and the problem was solved permanently. hope this helps..:p
yes, happened on my previous car, mechanic lubricanted it an it was fine

Bruce_Z;808196 said:
Thought abt it, but too sayang to trash my own car...the last time i took my own car was when i had the e46..after like 20 laps, the tyres melted and the brakes were literally smoking, so better wait for the driver training cars :)
heard the tarmac eats up tyres. But it'll be the place to have some.fun drive ;)

Bruce_Z;810808 said:
I spoke too soon..its intermittently happening. Yes it will go in next week.

Well, my ride came back from the SC with new power window motor installed. Seems that the motor was faulty. Another claim in.

While i was there, i noted that there is an "offer" for the m aerodynamic kit at 12.8k, vs 16.7k original price, installed. Add-another 8k and youll get the m performance stuffs added (the carbon fibre bits)..hmm need to find more mullah ;)

Top Bottom