serious question about rpm

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

saintdagon

Club Guest
Hi everyone,sometime when my car is not moving,the car rpm will jump to around the 1.5-2.0 mark,den after a while,it will move back to the normal range 0,50 mark,may i knw what causes this?btw my car is e36 318i auto,m42 engine it tink?thk to all the sifus in adavce,cheers

Hi Bro,

I'm not to familiar with M42 but I used to face similar problems with my M50. In my case, the clip/rubber that holds throttle cable in tension is broken and causing free play to the throttle body thus not settling properly when idling.

I'm not too sure whether a M42 has an ICV (Idling Control Valve). If it has, maybe it's worth having it checked/cleaned.

Just sharing.

Cheers.

saintdagon;581531 said:
Hi everyone,sometime when my car is not moving,the car rpm will jump to around the 1.5-2.0 mark,den after a while,it will move back to the normal range 0,50 mark,may i knw what causes this?btw my car is e36 318i auto,m42 engine it tink?thk to all the sifus in adavce,cheers

i eperienced similat scenario. Sometimes, when I accelerate till 3000-4000rpm, and if I stop my car soon after that (due to traffic light for example), the RPM idle at around 1500, but for about 10 seconds only..is that normal, any body knows? by the way mine is MANUAL...tq

Top Bottom