Scratch on Car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
sometimes we just have to accept it as our beloved rides' BATTLE scars .. think of it as giving character to our rides :) like AB so rightfully said...not going for competition maaaa...

etquah;467901 said:
Cant avoid the scratches. You dont scratch yourself, someone else do it for you. I also have some many chips on the front bumper & a few paint chips on the bonnet. Anything can be done to avoid this ?

drive slower on highway :love:
they won't rust. cause its galvanized steel.

astroboy;467866 said:
Sand polishing? Use fine sand paper la.. :p yep, the entire panel will be sanded down to a very thin layer and yes, most of the clear coat is removed in the process. That's why I leave the scratches alone, if my ScratchX couldn't do the job. I just treat it as wear and tear, as long as doesn't rust. My car is not going for any competition ma.. :p

Car detailing center know what to do when it comes to sanding. Do not straight away ask them to sand, they will advise u accordingly. Maybe rubbing compound will do the job, which is a lot less abrasive than sanding.

Look for a reputable one because they have proper technique or instrument to gauge the paint thickness and not simply sand their way down into the primer.. :eek:

Hi Astroboy,

What is ScratchX and where can I buy it?

All shops that carry Meguair products carry the ScratchX. HomeFix in 1U new wing I think got, not sure about ACE Hardware in Ikano and ENEOS though.

ScratchX is a Meguair product, there are other brands as well that will do similar job. They work well in removing swirl marks! :top: Use it discretionary, these are after all abrasive in nature and only use when your regular wax won't do the job.. its a kind of mild rubbing compound, I love the smell.. :love:

scratchx2.gif

etquah;467901 said:
Cant avoid the scratches. You dont scratch yourself, someone else do it for you. I also have some many chips on the front bumper & a few paint chips on the bonnet. Anything can be done to avoid this ?

If you're very particular then you could try and source for what they call a bra(not the ones that hold up 2 puppies).It's some kinda leather or elastic material that you can actually strap it over the front especially when you're traveling long distance.It keeps the the tiny stone chips away.Although I'm yet to see one of these being used here,it's pretty common abroad on some expensive cars.

For us superbikers what we normally do is the have the head fairing and front fenders coated in another thick(but good) coat of lacquer.Infact the front of our bikes look like they were sand blasted after a couple months of use.this is due to the very sticky tires we use and the close riding(dogfights).

Might want to source for the front bras man

Aiyaa... front chip is because lack drivers experience.. :p :D

Who ask u to go "tiong" others... especially Avanza.. and other MPV or even cement trucks.. Stay away la! :D :D

So your windscreen have chips too? Normally if you have serious front chip and windscreen stone marks, that means its high time you need to adjust your trailing distance with other vehicles.

Can consider 3M clear mask and I think if order in bulk from US, its US$0.25 per foot run of 24" wide. The local fellas will slap u with a high price for the job, as high as respray the car.. :stupid:

This is the OEM part:
NTczODJfcA==.png

1. Clear covering, PN: 82 11 0 399 148, E90 HOOD/MIRROR
2. Clear covering, PN: 82 11 0 399 149, E-90 BUMPER

There you go,that's another alternative though I'm sure like what Astro said,our local fellas will make it sound like it's some kinda rocket science and charge you the price of a rocket launch to fix it

Trailing distance would obviously be a factor la but eventually no matter how careful you may get,it's gonna chip.In the past what I've done is wait till it gets pretty obvious and then send it for a respray of the front but you gotta find a paint shop which does a good job la.

What I have right now is just the headlight protective film.Bumper can respray ma.headlights make big hole in pocket.

Guna;468097 said:
There you go,that's another alternative though I'm sure like what Astro said,our local fellas will make it sound like it's some kinda rocket science and charge you the price of a rocket launch to fix it

Trailing distance would obviously be a factor la but eventually no matter how careful you may get,it's gonna chip.In the past what I've done is wait till it gets pretty obvious and then send it for a respray of the front but you gotta find a paint shop which does a good job la.

What I have right now is just the headlight protective film.Bumper can respray ma.headlights make big hole in pocket.

Hi Guna, where to buy the protective film for headlight ? I agree with you, no matter how careful, sure kena. sometimes you are in the next lane about to overtake the lorry also can kena. Nowadays, fi see lorry lari kuat kuat:eek:

Guna;468097 said:

Hi Guna, where to buy the protective film for headlight ? I agree with you, no matter how careful, sure kena. sometimes you are in the next lane about to overtake the lorry also can kena. Nowadays, if see lorry lari kuat kuat:eek:

astroboy;468038 said:
Aiyaa... front chip is because lack drivers experience.. :p :D

Who ask u to go "tiong" others... especially Avanza.. and other MPV or even cement trucks.. Stay away la! :D :D

So your windscreen have chips too? Normally if you have serious front chip and windscreen stone marks, that means its high time you need to adjust your trailing distance with other vehicles.

Can consider 3M clear mask and I think if order in bulk from US, its US$0.25 per foot run of 24" wide. The local fellas will slap u with a high price for the job, as high as respray the car.. :stupid:

This is the OEM part:
1. Clear covering, PN: 82 11 0 399 148, E90 HOOD/MIRROR
2. Clear covering, PN: 82 11 0 399 149, E-90 BUMPER

Windscreen still okay. Go everywhere between KL to Klang / Shah Alam / Damansara / Sunway by highway. Chances very high hit by pebbles. Teflon coating can help? If need stick so many things to keep our car perfect also doesnt sounds right. Might as well park in the house & admire. Sure PERFECT

etquah;468103 said:
Hi Guna, where to buy the protective film for headlight ? I agree with you, no matter how careful, sure kena. sometimes you are in the next lane about to overtake the lorry also can kena. Nowadays, fi see lorry lari kuat kuat:eek:

err...bro,that's a double post(maybe you want to delete one?)

You can actually get it from most leading accessory shops.try and find one that has lots of Beemer stuffs.I got mine from my regular tint shop here.He had to call KL up to send it down.Apparently it's pre cut to the right size in my case the E60.I paid RM 200 for a pair though I suspect it's much cheaper in KL.

It goes on perfectly and you wouldn't be able to tell it's actually there.it's suppose to protect your precious headlights from the much dreaded stone chips we have been discussing here extensively.maybe after a couple years it's gonna look chipped too.Just peel it off and apply new layer lo.Kowtim.best to do it while your car or headlights are new.Faster,faster go get that done ah.

etquah;468109 said:
... If need stick so many things to keep our car perfect also doesnt sounds right. Might as well park in the house & admire. Sure PERFECT

There u go... :D Its just a car.. A little stone chips won't make the car depreciate any more than it is now.. :p :D

.. and it doesn't even hurt the drive-ability of the car.. the best part is, these little chips make your car unique from others.. mine even have birth marks!! :eek:

I've got loads of scratches on my black 325i...thanks to the stray cat that climbs all over my car during the nite. I've yet to catch that bugger...

Will try that eraser method!

astroboy;468150 said:
There u go... :D Its just a car.. A little stone chips won't make the car depreciate any more than it is now.. :p :D

.. and it doesn't even hurt the drive-ability of the car.. the best part is, these little chips make your car unique from others.. mine even have birth marks!! :eek:

I agree with you. By the way, digress little bit form this thread, I want to change my engine oil & filter next week. Called up SC, oil, filter & labour cost RM650. Gila la. Where to go ?

AB any suggestion which shop to go to from Guna's reply ?

No matter how good you try to avoid these lorries...sure will kena chips and sand blasting on the screen...

Better drive in a bubble like this...

et: buy expensive car...must be willing to spend oh... otherwise just bring a few packs of beers (branded) to AB house in PJ...he can change for u... or u read his DIY thread..u may be able to change yrself too

etquah;468165 said:
..AB any suggestion which shop to go to fom Guna's reply ?

Try,

HYPERCOAT ENTERPRISES SDN BHD
30, JALAN INDUSTRI USJ 1/1,
TAMAN PERINDUSTRIAN USJ 1,
47600 SUBANG JAYA

TEL: 603-8024-4594

The are Meguair Distributor. Have many detailing Sifu there. Call them first and have your car inspected before dropping in your car for a job. Give them sufficient time.. great result!

Let me know if you want a slightly cheaper place, which is my friend's tyre shop in Subang. Rachel did her car there and was satisfied.

You know la, one is Detailing Shop, one is tyre shop.. :p Your choice.. :D

Yeah guys,we paid premium price for these cars for one reason,to use it and use it well.I once had a German friend here and he got himself a brand new Merc.That fella will even run over speed bumps like it wasn't there and when I tell him to go easy he says I paid good money for good car and it is suppose to take such abuse otherwise I would have just got a Perdana.

My policy with all vehicle is,take damn good care of them but when it comes to using them,use them well.No need to sayang2 la.Just slap those headlight protectors on and after a couple of years if your front bumpers are chipped,just get them resprayed and the protectors replaced,Done deal,good as new.

At the end of the day when you want to trade in or sell,all this detailing ain't gonna count too much.All they want to know is Make,model,year,that's it.That's when you feel all your effort going down the drain.Been there bro.:rolleyes:

Just came from a bikers sticker shop here..as we all know that we cant save that much on the body to get chipped...i had just put a layer on headlights...Cheap (RM 70) and hope it gets the job done...

No difference since its crystal colour with UV coat(stop the lights to turn yellowish as well)..

Picture for you guys...

attachment.php

I love to stick both mine with yellow protector.. :D .. but wife will ask me to sleep outside for being such an Ah Beng.... :p

Top Bottom