Satria 1.6 vs GTi

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Slide

Club Guest
Can anybody here tell me what the differences are between the two cars?What have the Lotus guys done to it to make it handle so much better than the standard Satrias?My sis has a 1.6 and it's really really bad, so to keep me busy until i find an E30, i wanna try and make the car handle better. Anybody have any ideas and who would be the guy to see to do the work?Cheers.

Silde, talk to Adian and the Proton motorsport guys. Isn't the Satria GTi a 1.8? Else, Alvin can take you to his mech who knows how to prep rally-spec Satria. So he should knows a thing or 2 about imprpving the handling of the satria. In fact, I was told he has a Satria rally car for sale.

The GTI chassis is heavier than 1.6 body shell. That's the obvious clue. Maybe the shell hardened from the factory.

For the engine, the mechanic at Powerzone.COM.MY told one of my friend that the 4G93 installed in Satria GTI have semi race cam and stronger engine internals.

Satria R3 pwned Satria GTI

Originally posted by bazet@Jun 16 2005, 10:50 PM
The GTI chassis is heavier than 1.6 body shell. That's the obvious clue. Maybe the shell hardened from the factory.
shoot, i was hoping that it would be something like the suspension, which i could just buy off the shelf and bung on the car!

Shock, spring rates, anti roll bar is different as well. I remembered that the rear suspension design and mounts are similar to the Mitsu EVO III on the GTi, unlike the 1.6.

take a lot of things into consideration, my friend had a 1.6 satria he lowered his ride with all them stabilisers and what not. and he always take sharp corners. after some time found out that his driver side frame crack. he covered the crack and sold the car. that's what i saw la. he said maybe it because the frame is not stiff or something. try ask around first la before you make any decision

Slide,
Apart from the engine, interior and exterior upgrade, the gti's suspension has been tuned to get a good balance of handling, ride and steering. This is achieved by tuning and replacing the suspension components below:-

1) shock absorber
2) springs
3) anti-roll bar, arb drop link & bushes (anti-roll bar connected to the strut)
4) front and rear lower arm and its bushes (stiffer)
5) tyres and wheels (Michelin MXF sport & 16" wheels)
6) steering rack (ratio)
plus
setting the vehicle ride height

Therefore, if a normal satria 1.6L wants to achieve the same R&H performance of the Gti, u need to change every components above as well as the engine. If u use your std engine, the weight difference will effect your r&h performance. This is because the gti's suspension is tuned to match the 4g93 engine and all of its components.
Even if u change the gti's tyre, u will not get the R&H characteristics set by Lotus.

So it's not that simple after all.... i was just hoping to be able to upgade the 1.6 and make it handle a bit better, i went round a bend and the damn thing hit the curb!

It looks like my sis will just have to live with it, sounds like way too much work and it's not as simple as i had hoped it would be.

Thanks so much for all the info guys, knew i could count on all of you to know.

Cheers.

The GTI suspension is not the same as the 1.3/1.5/1.6. The arms are different as well and not to mention the floorboard and chassis as well, they look the same but they are in fact different. You cannot get GTI parts and just bolt them on thinking they will work as well as a factory built GTI. I had previously few years back a race prepped 320bhp Satria and I did the work myself so if you're asking whether they are the same, I will say NOT the same. You can improve your 1.6's handling but It won't be on parr with the GTI.

If you're looking to improve the 1.6's handling to its maximum extent, yes it can be done but don't expect to buy el-cheapo stuffs. So question is, how much improvement and what kind of improvement are you looking at?

Originally posted by musclehedz@Jun 17 2005, 04:12 PM
The GTI suspension is not the same as the 1.3/1.5/1.6. The arms are different as well and not to mention the floorboard and chassis as well, they look the same but they are in fact different. You cannot get GTI parts and just bolt them on thinking they will work as well as a factory built GTI. I had previously few years back a race prepped 320bhp Satria and I did the work myself so if you're asking whether they are the same, I will say NOT the same. You can improve your 1.6's handling but It won't be on parr with the GTI.

If you're looking to improve the 1.6's handling to its maximum extent, yes it can be done but don't expect to buy el-cheapo stuffs. So question is, how much improvement and what kind of improvement are you looking at?
Yupp. Agreed with MH.
Improving your car's handling is a bit subjective because you can improve it to a race car level (but it will not be a good car on the road) or just slightly better than the std car.
I think if the car is for your sis and u just want to improve it slightly, just get a good aftermarket shocks and springs for a start.
Depends on your budget, you can get the premium ones (koni, tein, eibach, etc) or the locally made ones (APM, Kayaba, Hot Bits, etc).

Not going to be too fussy with this car, i just want it to handle better. How much better? not to race car standard la, the car will still have the same 1.6 auto and i don't intend to mess about with the exterior or pass it of as a GTi.

I am just shocked at how much it understeers, and how with a little bit of a cross wind the car seems to just skip 2-3 inches to the right or left. Not to metion what happens when some thing bigger and faster blows by.

Will after market shocks, springs and roll bars cure all this? Will buying GTi stuff work ? but the looks of things it wont fit, right?

Don't buy gti stuffs, buy aftermarket shocks,springs and anti roll bar for a start.

Originally posted by Slide@Jun 17 2005, 05:04 PM
Not going to be too fussy with this car, i just want it to handle better. How much better? not to race car standard la, the car will still have the same 1.6 auto and i don't intend to mess about with the exterior or pass it of as a GTi.

I am just shocked at how much it understeers, and how with a little bit of a cross wind the car seems to just skip 2-3 inches to the right or left. Not to metion what happens when some thing bigger and faster blows by.

Will after market shocks, springs and roll bars cure all this? Will buying GTi stuff work ? but the looks of things it wont fit, right?
I get what you mean, you just want the car to be able to sweep corners at 100km/h without any fuss.

As for cross winds, one of the reason is the car is light.

You can't do anything about the chassis and the arms. So what leaves you is the following.

- Absorbers
- Springs
- Anti-roll bars
- Strut bars
- Lower tie bars
- Suspension bushings
- Rims and tire size
- Camber and toeing
- Tire pressure

Start by lowering the suspension and playing with the camber and toeing and tire pressure.

If you're up to it, get a fully adjustable coilover else get eibachs coupled with gas shocks. Konis are good but they are hard. Eibachs are more 'supple/forgiving' than some other harder once. A fully adjustable shock is the best as it will give you near total ajdustment of pre-load, damping, rebound, ride height. With these, you can tune them the way u want until you're satisfied. I still have a full set of fully adjustable konis somewhere in my pile of junk. If I can find them, I'll let you have them and you can fit them on directly, no mods needed.

Next you will need struts/ties, get ALL 4..front/rear,top/bottom. You can also add in a 4 point brace front top/bottom if you want instead of a strut/tie.

Finally, the important factor...the camber and toeing adjustments and tire pressure, how they are setup will/can effect the cornering ability of the car. The shocks wil only do so much of ABSORBER/REBOUND whereas the characteristics will be determined by these adjustments. I can point out a few reputable ppl who can do them for you. EON Motorsports can fine tune it for you as well. YS Khong is also another person who can do this for you.

Of course the rims and tires is also another factor like the height of the tire sidewall, the thinner the less flexing during corners, etc..

And than again, there's also foaming the chassis. There's also pros and cons in this if you decide to do it. It's very effective in 'tightening' up the car. This I'll leave it to Lee and The Necessary to elaborate it to you as they have discussed this in the other thread.

All those factors play a role in determining the best handling that can be achieved.

Originally posted by Slide@Jun 17 2005, 03:44 PM
So it's not that simple after all.... i was just hoping to be able to upgade the 1.6 and make it handle a bit better, i went round a bend and the damn thing hit the curb!
Er - upgrade the driver? :)

look like gti is a very good handling n performance car.can anyone here tell me what is the market price for years 2000.

Originally posted by clockwork@Dec 1 2005, 09:56 AM
look like gti is a very good handling n performance car.can anyone here tell me what is the market price for years 2000.
You should be able to get a decent one for 42-43k :)

test drive my cousin gti last night.wow.....very powerful n handling super.end up one 328 come from behind but i speed up n cabut :D

Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 2 2005, 10:35 AM
If you think the GTi is good, wait till you try the R3; that is one sweet little car!
but all sold out n seldom see one on road,what is the difference between gti n R3?

Top Bottom