run in for new engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

willie

Club Guest
guys, i remember that in our old forum, there was a link about the run in for the new engine, any idea what is the link????

Only thing I think for newer BMWs is to:

1) First 1000 KM drive gently, not redlining it too much. Maybe once or twice redline a week.

2) After the 1000KM, drive it very hard. Redline as much as you like. Dont worry the engine can take it. Its built strong, unlike some rival makes.

Done.

PS: Make sure the engine temp is operating temp before driving it hard. ie Temp guage is 12 o"clock position. Mostly 10 mins after moving off from cold.

Originally posted by 3er@Jul 19 2005, 12:03 PM
Dont be a wuss. Just floor it!
yaya, that's what i read from one of the website in the old forum.... telling us not need to scare, just floor it.... but guys, any idea what's the link ah???

Hi 3ER,

Thats actually very true. Modern engines are made to very close tolerances and does NOT need any break-in. Just make sure the engine TEMP is up to "Operating Temp" before flooring the car.

This is the reason why I held off buying an E30M3 becuase it takes almost 3 times longer to warm the engine to operating temp as compared to M20 or M50 engines. I think the engine Oil routing in the S14 engine maybe a bit convoluted due to its complex design. Besides, at higher rpm redline, the S14 engine really need the right temp before being pushed hard.

I do that with my BMW all the time. Its fun to drive it hard as it should.
:yes:

Top Bottom