Run flat tires vs Comfort tires

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Wolfdire

Club Guest
I'm wondering what are the other advantages of run flat tires compared to comfort tires besides been able to movea certain distance when it's flat but my SA informed if the distance travelled under such condition is long,the tire is as good as gone,with the ability of the car to detect the tire pressure loss at the earliest sign,wouldn't it the same for comfort tires?and say if the detection is not been noted by the owner,wouldn't changing the spare and be able to save the affected tire better than losing it completely by forced driving to the nearest tire shop?not to mention the premium price we need to pay for noisier tires..would like to hear fellow brethrens opinions..

yes and no.

run flat tyres have superior handling properties.

my take is:

get run flats:
- better handling
- no road side repair issue
- lasts longer

get comfort tyres:
- quieter ride
- cheaper cost

Jenny I have no experience in run flat tires but if both under same driving conditions how much longer can it last as compared to comfort tires?

..i have had RFT's..diched it in a heartbeat..car was performing like an elephant in egg shop..loads of vibration of all kind, not to mention horrid handling with some weird noise soon as you cross 100km/h...
..after installing Michelin PS3, vibrations gone, handling excellent, sharp and precise, and no bloody 'wwwuuoououuuuoouummm' sound when you reach 100 km/h...screw RFT's..

Wolfdire;781926 said:
Jenny I have no experience in run flat tires but if both under same driving conditions how much longer can it last as compared to comfort tires?

my guess would be around 20% longer.. but its just my guess, i'm looking for the article that backs that up. i read it some time ago.

if you like attacking corners and stiffer "feel", run-flat is the way to go.

if you are a city goer, maybe normal tyres will do.

F30;781967 said:
has anyone dumped their rft for normal ones ?

I have ... I regret doing it in terms of the handling. I like how hard the RFT walls are ... but then, I got much more comfort now la.

_M_;782408 said:
Here's some background literature:
http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/bmw-run-flat-problems.php

I'm sticking with stock rft for now.. guess i'm not that sensitive.. plus unlike Ecc0's Z4, the std F30 rides higher so perhaps the tyre sound is not as prominent & annoying.

Agree...Our malaysian spec F30s are fitted with std suspension. With this setup, even with the standard RFTs the ride is already quite soft...and even a little floaty at high speeds. putting in non RFTs will make it worst, not to mention increase the safety compromise that you unnecessarily take for no good reason at all...

Ecc0;781973 said:
..i have had RFT's..diched it in a heartbeat..car was performing like an elephant in egg shop..loads of vibration of all kind, not to mention horrid handling with some weird noise soon as you cross 100km/h...
..after installing Michelin PS3, vibrations gone, handling excellent, sharp and precise, and no bloody 'wwwuuoououuuuoouummm' sound when you reach 100 km/h...screw RFT's..

which car are you using the normal tyres on? if E90, it makes sense.

Top Bottom