Retrofitting an E90 320i sports (2008)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerdude

Club Guest
heya guys...does anyone know anything or source where i can confirm the complete list of retrofitting options on the 320i(CKD) sedan? i asked the parts guy (who is supposed to have the info on his computer) at AB glenmarie and he looks at me like i'm from Mars. i would in the future maybe add some options like GPS if possible or whatever else, who knows? i do know our malaysian ckd models don't have some internal wiring that's needed for some of the options, that's why i need the info.i am sure there are many like me who own basic models and would like to add optional features like power seats or power mirrors etc etc...anyone here with any experience? thanks in advance.

You should have started with 325i sport as a base.. now its going to cost u more, minus the 6 potter and iDrive.. if u decided to take the OEM equipment path.. :(

>astroboy: i'm not really gonna go the full works like idrive and such. just the small stuff like maybe power mirrors. happy with the 320 actually. its a family car. reserving the POWER trip when i get the second car for myself :)
>randy/tkw: thanks for the pointers. will check the links. are they applicable to malaysian CKD units?

ok i have a specific question: can i retrofit power mirrors (that fold automatically) on my E90 320i sports 2008 model? SA in AB glenmarie told me cannot, but what does she know rite? i hope someone can confirm can or cannot? i read how one guy in the US did it for his car, but the car had the wiring already from factory. i dunno if my car has the necessary wiring. tried googling but no answers. the parts guy at AB glenmarie is clueless. i suppose i should ask BMW Germany direct?

or, has anyone here on the forums done it?

thanks guys

Bro there is this place near Sunway College called Motorsports Division. There is one of our very old members , Marco there. PLease do visit them and mentioned ur from the forum,... I believe he will be able to answer all your queries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :smokin::rock:

hey man thanks for the info :) As a matter of fact i was at motorsports last week with another friend to look at rims..didnt occur to me to ask Marco about the mirrors. i think i will give him a call tomorrow :)

silly. a 2000 e46 model has auto folding mirrors and mine doesnt :(

Modifying our E90 especially the electrical component is a pain in A. The on-board ECU is checking every damn thing down to the tail license plate lights. If we fit in a set of low wattage LED bulbs for our license plate lights, an alarm will trigger to signify their's a fault as irregular power consumption is detected (maybe a bulb failure). The retrofit license plate LED lights kit comes with a resistor to increase the wattage of the fittings to make the LED to consume more wattage as a conventional bulb to fool the on-board computer.. see how troublesome it gets!?

And a warning to those DIY fanatics, do not poke your test light around in an E90, it will deploy the airbags!! Use a proper voltmeter instead!

okay i just spoke to Marco from sunway and according to him its possible to retrofit M3 (current model) power folding mirrors to an e90 sedan with some rewiring. :) the only prob now is i will definitely void my warranty on the car. :( well, at least now i know its possible. i havent asked him on the details tho. will post any further developments ...

oh ya, just got my shark fin fitted to my car :))) done at AB glenmarie. total cost 187.31 inclusive of painting, install and parts.
took about 30 mins to install.

bimmerdude;331544 said:
hey man thanks for the info :) As a matter of fact i was at motorsports last week with another friend to look at rims..didnt occur to me to ask Marco about the mirrors. i think i will give him a call tomorrow :)

silly. a 2000 e46 model has auto folding mirrors and mine doesnt :(

Hello!!!!! a 2000 Toyota Camry has folding mirrors...!
AB/BMW Malaysia is running a SCAM.
Someone I know just bought a 7 series, and the mirrors don't fold...

astroboy;331618 said:
Modifying our E90 especially the electrical component is a pain in A. The on-board ECU is checking every damn thing down to the tail license plate lights. If we fit in a set of low wattage LED bulbs for our license plate lights, an alarm will trigger to signify their's a fault as irregular power consumption is detected (maybe a bulb failure). The retrofit license plate LED lights kit comes with a resistor to increase the wattage of the fittings to make the LED to consume more wattage as a conventional bulb to fool the on-board computer.. see how troublesome it gets!?

And a warning to those DIY fanatics, do not poke your test light around in an E90, it will deploy the airbags!! Use a proper voltmeter instead!

i think you are refering to the LCM (light control module) that checks almost every single light emmiting devices on-board...the LCM basically sends a pulse/signal to the load and depending on the load impedance it 'sees' if there is any changes to the load impedance...to check for blown blub or LED required different type of signals...so if you replace the bulb with LED then the impedance is different and during checks the LED will flicker due to the pulse from the LCM...a simple remedy to the error message is to add resistor as astroboy recommended to match the impedance but the flicker requires some supression circuit...

another thing is...using test light is a big no as it is a low impedance test method that loads the circuit that might cause problem to high impedance circuit especially digital circuits...a multimeter must also be used with care as its input impedance is not as high as a digital circuit impedance so it might also cause problem with the circuit or digital bus if u have no idea wat you are testing on...

to DIY on bimmer's electrical and electronics components...the very first thing to get is the BMW WDS (Wiring Diagram System/Schematics)...

just some info...:top:

Top Bottom