Replacing the Battery

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
t2ribena;421793 said:
brader...u use the wrong ohm's law la...

Yes V=IR but R is load/resistance and it is in ohmic value and not watt...

watts is Power and it is express by the equation, P=IV, so based on your example,

55W = I x 12V, rearranging you will get,

I= 55/12 = 4.58A

next your assumption on the battery current ratings and the alternator is also not correct ler...when u use a 40Ah battery with a car with 90Ah alternator it is ok as the charging current depends on the battery, in fact with higher current availability the battery will charge up faster...the only thing is that when u use smaller battery for say 40Ah, when ur car requires 80Ah let say for ICE show off without engine runnning meaning alternator not running, ur battery will be fully drain in 30min...

for the starter, 300W translate to current rating of about 25A...so battery that do not have enuf charge may be too week to supply this as the inrush current for an induction load could be as high as 6 times the nominal currrent...in this case when u start the starter motor, it could require up to about 150A of current!

the 12V system in cars has reach its limit actually versus the cables thinkness since the electrical and electronics grows trumendously in cars...in EU they have been talking about 48V as it offers better solution to the current needs but till now no one (car manufacturer) is starting it yet...

Nice write up.. Actually the starter can draw a current of 200 Amp for cranking.

In terms of power, the higher the voltage, the lower the current will be draw for the same power rating. Again using Power = Voltage x Current theory.

however, 48V means 12VDC X 4 numbers of battery in series or 1.2 VDC X 40 cells. Even if you reduce the current drawn, you still need to compact 40 cells into 1 battery bank. The reason that it is not picking up is because there is no place to put 4 nos of 12 VDC battery in the engine compartment or the boot.

In addition, most electronic like cmos & IC are operating at 5 VDC or 3.84VDC. Imagine you have to put a lot of voltage regulators to regulate the 48VDC to 5 VDC supply for all these component to work properly. It will be a nightmare for car manufacturer and battery manufacturer.

We distribute Varta Battery

mini_jeff67;122662 said:
Need to replace my battery - :getyourfactsright: $$$$ :(

Other than the ori one from AB (RM780, donno if this includes installation!), what other options can I consider?

Was quoted Victorite (or something like that), which is a sealed, maintenance free unit for RM310 - anyone tried this before?

Thanks!

Hi Bro,

My name is sirlim, our company are the distributor for Varta battery made in Germany. Varta battery is the OEM manufacturer for BMW battery.

Pls do not hesistate to contact me ar 012-2977610/012-2255152

We are able to quote u wholesales price specially for the members.

Thanks

sircooper;430365 said:
Hi Bro,

My name is sirlim, our company are the distributor for Varta battery made in Germany. Varta battery is the OEM manufacturer for BMW battery.

Pls do not hesistate to contact me ar 012-2977610/012-2255152

We are able to quote u wholesales price specially for the members.

Thanks

Hi Sirlim,

Can you quote for me for E90LCI 90ah

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

Finally my turn to change battery.. GP Atlas DIN100.. Out go the original battery.. Bought the car in December 2007.. Car assembled July 2007.. Battery date stamp on the tip of negative terminal says 1307, 13th week of 2007 (April).. So I may not have own the car for 6 year.. Not until December 2007.. But the April2007 battery is 6.5 years old. Sign of weakness in cranking.. The battery window no more green indicator.. Change it for prevention to avoid eembarrassing moment of flat battery in a shopping mall car park at 10pm on a holiday..

astroboy;848758 said:
Finally my turn to change battery.. GP Atlas DIN100.. Out go the original battery.. Bought the car in December 2007.. Car assembled July 2007.. Battery date stamp on the tip of negative terminal says 1307, 13th week of 2007 (April).. So I may not have own the car for 6 year.. Not until December 2007.. But the April2007 battery is 6.5 years old. Sign of weakness in cranking.. The battery window no more green indicator.. Change it for prevention to avoid eembarrassing moment of flat battery in a shopping mall car park at 10pm on a holiday..

DIY ? Heard the car need to coded before putting a new battery especially if replace with a different type and amp of battery. BTW, what is the price of the battery ?

- - - Updated - - -

astroboy;848758 said:

DIY ? Heard the car need to coded before putting a new battery especially if replace with a different type and amp of battery. BTW, what is the price of the battery ?

The car was plugged with the diagnostic equipment at all time during the battery change procedure. I paid RM650 for every thing. Further research revealed that the battery can be purchased at around RM500. so the labor cost me about RM150 for the 30 min jobs.

changing battery is a very simple procedure la. no need to register/re-code/or whatever.

Just make sure to remove the key from the ignition when changing the battery. BTW DIN100 battery should cost you around RM420 (Bosch).

whoever told you that should be striked out.. never should touch your car again!

cg;848759 said:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

whoever told you that should be striked out.. never should touch your car again!

cg;848759 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Top Bottom