Remote central locking

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BimmerDan

Club Guest
This just happened to me. My key remote on my central locking is not working. I'd like to think it was because I drove in a heavy rain for 2 over hours and water may have gotten into the central locking unit and causes this short-circuit. Otherwise it could be central locking unit has reached its life-span. Anyone had this experience before? Thank you...

No such thing that water seep into the car after u drove for 2 more hours in heavy rain. Check the windshield seal bro. Do u change the key battery recently?

is the red led on the key lighting up bright?if it's dim then a battery change is due...errr.....the key battery aaa....not car battery

Thank you the prompt reply.

Just did a quick check with my spare key and everything worked in proper order. So chances are, the key battery could be needing a replacement. However, to further narrow down the probable cause, isn't it true that key is needed to correlate with the immobilizer system to enable the turning over of engine. if the battery is expired then will the engine still turn over?...well I was able to turn over the engine.

The battery mainly use for the remote function but car start or not is because the transporter inside the key.

Yours is the square or diamond type? Both are using different type battery.

I'm assuming you're referring to the steel tip of the key? Its square in shape with cuts within.

BimmerDan;632757 said:
I'm assuming you're referring to the steel tip of the key? Its square in shape with cuts within.

He's referring to these:

Resizeofe46bmw-keyS.jpg

Either

a) square type or

d) diamond type

If spare key works, it means there is nothing wrong with the GM5 module which control the central locking.

Just change the battery of the key that is not working within 60 seconds. If you do it more than 60 seconds,
you may need to re-syn the remote key again.

You still can start the car even though the key cannot open the door by remote.
The starting of the car is controlled via the EWS module.

BimmerDan;632846 said:
Thank you all for the sound advice. I shall have the battery replaced.

If later you have spare key which cannot start the engine then you can find me.

BimmerDan;632846 said:
Thank you all for the sound advice. I shall have the battery replaced.

If you know abit of remap ECU pls give some info. I am preparing to research for remap ECU.

tweiboon;632849 said:
If you know abit of remap ECU pls give some info. I am preparing to research for remap ECU.

Sorry I have zero knowledge of ECU let alone remapping it but good luck with your research and thank you for your kind offer on the key reset.

The last time my key fob started to act intermittently, i realized it must be my remote key fob battery that's coming to its end of life. To my surprise, when i inserted my key to start the car, i had a "GONG" alarm and the following appeared in my cluster....

REMOTE%20KEY%20BATTERY%20priority%202%20warning.jpg

....just so f***ing cool what BMW engineers could think of....just about everything!!!

And i NEVER KNEW my E39 had this feature....honestly i thought i knew so much about E39 but not everything after all...it just catches you with new features at times....and you go like...."shite....i didn't know that"!!! just when i had that alarm message :D

bimmerhlic, seems like my car is not the same spec with yours. You have high end cluster!

bimmerholic;633171 said:
Yupp...high end clusters have texts output...

Mine's CBU GERMANY.

I thought we have the same spec car last time ..:4:

Top Bottom