Rear Windscreen Rubber Seal Crack - Easy Solution!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wolverine95

Club Guest
Just to share with u guys, hope this could help somebody in here...So the rubber seal around my E60's rear windscreen was cracking. I brought my ride to some windscreen shops, and all of them told me that they need to remove the windscreen to replace it. Not satisfied, I surfed the net and found some DIY advice on replacing the front windscreen of an E39 rubber seal.Heck, why do I need to risk windscreen removal just to replace a rubber lining? So I went to Bavarian Auto and bought the damn rubber seal. Feeling adventurous this morning, I started the DIY job in my porch. Guess what? It only took me 30 minutes to complete the whole thing! Damn, this thing is so easy! I think it is designed in such a way to make ways for easy replacement!If anybody needs more info, will be happy to share the details.:)

wolverine95;524665 said:
Just to share with u guys, hope this could help somebody in here...

So the rubber seal around my E60's rear windscreen was cracking. I brought my ride to some windscreen shops, and all of them told me that they need to remove the windscreen to replace it. Not satisfied, I surfed the net and found some DIY advice on replacing the front windscreen of an E39 rubber seal.

Heck, why do I need to risk windscreen removal just to replace a rubber lining? So I went to Bavarian Auto and bought the damn rubber seal. Feeling adventurous this morning, I started the DIY job in my porch. Guess what? It only took me 30 minutes to complete the whole thing! Damn, this thing is so easy! I think it is designed in such a way to make ways for easy replacement!

If anybody needs more info, will be happy to share the details.

:)

Great!...you must be one adventurous feller huh :rock: 1 man show sommore....will be of great help, if you could post some photos and your own DIY write up for sharing among fellow members...we'd really appreciate that :)

Thanks.

Any tips for front windshield? I did my rear one at MSpeed for RM180. How much did you buy the seal from Bavarian Auto? Yes, rear looks easy enough form the way Ah Meng did it (but I wouldn't do it myself!), but for the front, he said need to remove the windshield. So if anyone knows how to do it another way, let me know.....

(Post Report) - Rubber Seal Replacement - DIY

sorry, i didn't take any photos as i was doing the job cause i didn't think it would work.. anyway, here's some guide, re-tracing my steps with post-work photos: ( If the photo attachments didn't work, pls look at my public album..)
A.) Tools I used:
1.) Plier
2.) Tooth Brush
3.) Car Wash

B.) The Seals
Consists of 2 pieces:
1.) C-Shaped piece with thin, mild metal C-clips to hug the windscreen edges on its 3-sides: both sides (left & right) + top side.
2.) Straight piece covering the bottom windscreen edge (underneath the boot lid)
Note that the ends of the C-shaped piece is tucked underneath the bottom piece.

picture.php

C.) The Removal
1.) Open up your boot lid
2.) Gently lift off the end of the bottom seal, just enough so that you could pull out the end of the C-shaped piece
3.) With a plier, or similar tool, Gently pull out the C-shaped rubber away from the windscreen. Carefull not to leave rubber parts underneath the glass...
4.) Pull out until top edges and all the way to the other end

picture.php

D.) Cleaning The Slots
Using some car wash liquid, use a tooth brush to brush away any dirt or rubber remaining, especially underneath the windscreen edges / slot. Big chunk of left-over rubber from your old seal could hamper slotting in of the new seal!

E.) Installation of New Rubber Seal
1.) Starting from the top edges, just push in the new seal into the slot
picture.php

2.) The thin, mild C-clip would easily slide into position, and hug the edge of the windscreen glass (given that the slot is clean and free of rubber left-overs!)
3.) Make sure the top edges & the top section are properly tucked in, before finishing up all the way to the ends
4.) Your finger pressure is enough to do this
5.) Finally, open up your boot lid, lift up the bottom piece ends and tuck in the C-shaped ends in place.

DONE!

Sorry, for the front, I hv no idea. But it does look more complicated with the hard pieces on both sides. But I think it should be able to be DIYed. Maybe just need more time.
I bought the rubber piece at RM103. SO I guess I save RM77, ehh? Good enough for a quick dinner with the missus...:)

fuiyoo.congrat..at least i got some info..my car also need to change that rubber..the workshop asking me around rm300 to change..

Top Bottom