Rear Fog Light

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
NumberTWO said:
hehehee....damm "sui" ...

But seriously, only one (on the right) saja laa.. the other side kosong one, maybe someone took the bulb away!!?? :D
mine also 1 bulb only, initially i think like u coz the other side is empty as someone forget to assemble it, but after checking with my mechanic, he say its manufacturer that way, so nothing wrong with it

it's the current EU regulation.. Rear foglight would be lit on the driver's side to indicator the position of the driver in extreme weather...

US spec E90/91/92's have their rear fogs deactivated. BMW NA have this thing against rear fog lights. Mini owners had to launch an aggressive petition campaign to get them offered (now a $150 option).

However, some e90 drivers found out that by retrofitting a Euro spec light switch (dash light switch) we are able to activate the rear fog lights. The Euro switch has an extra button and plugs right in. This simple mod cost $45 plus 15-20 minutes installing (prying interior trim and swapping out the switch).

EU / world spec E90s have the rear fogs on both sides. They use the same bulbs for the adaptive brake lights i.e. when the rear fogs are on, the adaptive brake lights are off. These are extra brake lights not the main brake lights. They supplement the main brake lights in hard/emergency braking (esp when ABS kicks in)

The rear fogs can be turned on independent of the front fog lights. I love them a lot, they come in handy when backing up the car, especially when you have dark tints on your rear glass. I've only used them a handful of times in very heavy rain/mist and medium fog. Might come in handy this winter though.

dscn3279_edited.jpg

On the E90 here in Msia I think we have the Euro lights as well. The rear fog lights are on both sides not just one side. The adaptive brake lights are housed inside the brake lights using 2 bulbs. (both comes on when emergency braking)

Just sharing

Danc: the adaptive brake lights and rear fog lights uses the same bulbs. Adaptive brake lighting is deactivated when the bulbs are in use for rear fogs....

KL2DC said:
Danc: the adaptive brake lights and rear fog lights uses the same bulbs. Adaptive brake lighting is deactivated when the bulbs are in use for rear fogs....

KL2DC,

Not for our model here. The rear fog light is seperate and stays on with or without the emergency brake lights. The brake light housing has 2 bulbs. Anyone else can confirm this?? Let me try and get a photo just to confirm.

danc said:
KL2DC,

Not for our model here. The rear fog light is seperate and stays on with or without the emergency brake lights. The brake light housing has 2 bulbs. Anyone else can confirm this?? Let me try and get a photo just to confirm.

Danc, are you sure. Is it not as per the attached pic in my earlier post? My understanding is this is how it works in EU markets. The wiring is standard that is why we US spec owners are able to activate this function by retrofitting the Euro light switch.

KL2DC said:
Danc, are you sure. Is it not as per the attached pic in my earlier post? My understanding is this is how it works in EU markets. The wiring is standard that is why we US spec owners are able to activate this function by retrofitting the Euro light switch.

KL2DC,

Yup just confirmed when I braked and look at the back of my car. Here is a pic from a brochure that shows the adaptive brake lights attached. Notice that the rear fog lights are not on in this pic. (Sorry for the poor quality pic)

I also noticed that was the difference when I was looking through the user manual for the US version as compared to the manual in Msia.

danc said:
KL2DC,

Yup just confirmed when I braked and look at the back of my car. Here is a pic from a brochure that shows the adaptive brake lights attached. Notice that the rear fog lights are not on in this pic. (Sorry for the poor quality pic)

I also noticed that was the difference when I was looking through the user manual for the US version as compared to the manual in Msia.

Curious and interesting!

I thought that applies for all E90s. I have blacklines on mine and those are universal OEM parts. I assume the wiring is the same as a simple retrofit of the euro lightswitch activated the rear fogs. This was confirmed by some european members.

Personally, I've never seen the adaptive brake lights go on (aside from when the rear fogs are on). Even in hard driving convoys. My understanding is that one has to really stomp on the brakes to the point where ABS engages for these to come on.

Just to add to the list: my 2001 E46 (pre-FL) has only 1 rear fog light, at the driver's side.

My ex-Alfa 156 (model year 2000) had 2 rear fog lights though. I suppose the 1-fog-light EU regs came into effect after the year 2000.

Really? really have this EU reg after year 2000? i wonder how chevrolet optra UK can lepas. uk spec is same spec i drive in malaysia, build by GM in Thai. Ada 2 fog-light on both side. Good to switch it on when people following dekat-dekat. sure they lari cannot tahan. sapa suruh ikut dekat2 !! :):)

wglee said:
Just to add to the list: my 2001 E46 (pre-FL) has only 1 rear fog light, at the driver's side.

My ex-Alfa 156 (model year 2000) had 2 rear fog lights though. I suppose the 1-fog-light EU regs came into effect after the year 2000.

KL2DC said:
Curious and interesting!

I thought that applies for all E90s. I have blacklines on mine and those are universal OEM parts. I assume the wiring is the same as a simple retrofit of the euro lightswitch activated the rear fogs. This was confirmed by some european members.

Personally, I've never seen the adaptive brake lights go on (aside from when the rear fogs are on). Even in hard driving convoys. My understanding is that one has to really stomp on the brakes to the point where ABS engages for these to come on.

Yup KL2DC,

Strange to see diff config for diff markets. I myself have not seen the 2nd bulb light up but when I step on brake I can see that in the brake housing only the outer bulb lights up the inner one stays off. I read that the adaptive braking comes on when either the ABS is engaged or when the yaw/pitch sensor detects a servere decelaration and will then activate the second bulb. Stomping hard on your brakes while the car is at stand still does not activate it.

So was thinking abt the blacklines, that means the rear fog lights are set up like in the US or the blacklines here in Msia follows our setup? I remember seeing someone getting the blacklines from AB, cant rememeber who....

danc said:
So was thinking abt the blacklines, that means the rear fog lights are set up like in the US or the blacklines here in Msia follows our setup? I remember seeing someone getting the blacklines from AB, cant rememeber who....

I suspect only wiring differences...the adaptives should be as they were....

Top Bottom