Re-tint windscreen

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

LCP

Club Guest
Anyone out here that have removed old windscreen tint to put in new ones? My current ones are peeling off at the edges and also not very effective in reducing heat, must be at least 10 years old or more. What is the labour charge like to remove the old tint? I heard it is a lot of hard work, a lot of sweat, not sure whether involve any blood and tears also :) Also, what is the precaution to observe when removing the tint on the rear windscreen as the heater and antenna elements are there. Also, what the approx prices these days to tint an E36 with Vkool, 3M, etc etc etc... (list the brands pls)? Thanks...

LCP;194098 said:
Anyone out here that have removed old windscreen tint to put in new ones? My current ones are peeling off at the edges and also not very effective in reducing heat, must be at least 10 years old or more.

What is the labour charge like to remove the old tint? I heard it is a lot of hard work, a lot of sweat, not sure whether involve any blood and tears also :) Also, what is the precaution to observe when removing the tint on the rear windscreen as the heater and antenna elements are there.

Also, what the approx prices these days to tint an E36 with Vkool, 3M, etc etc etc... (list the brands pls)?

Thanks...
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/tinting-your-bimmer-t5902.html?t=5902&highlight=tinting+bimmer

i took out my old tint and replace new one, no gurantee they wont tear the heater but they say they will be extra careful. they didnt charge me anything for removing the old tint

Thanks for the advise, I'll be careful... my car is much older...

Got the quotes this morning, inclusive of removing old tint... V-kool 70 all round is RM1.8k, V-kool 70 front and V-kool 40 sides and rear RM2.6k... price just went up in mid January, the authorised dealer here showed me a newspaper advert, will be doing it this afternoon...

V-kool 40 is illegal here in Malaysia, only 43% visible light transmission, but the IR blocking ability is very good at 98% versus 94% for V-kool 70... well I'm taking a bit of a risk, will go for it... Just don't inform JPJ to set up a road block here in the gangster infested inner city of George Town... :D

Specs here... http://www.v-kool.com/solitaire.html

LCP;194248 said:
Got the quotes this morning, inclusive of removing old tint... V-kool 70 all round is RM1.8k, V-kool 70 front and V-kool 40 sides and rear RM2.6k... price just went up in mid January, the authorised dealer here showed me a newspaper advert, will be doing it this afternoon...

V-kool 40 is illegal here in Malaysia, only 43% visible light transmission, but the IR blocking ability is very good at 98% versus 94% for V-kool 70... well I'm taking a bit of a risk, will go for it... Just don't inform JPJ to set up a road block here in the gangster infested inner city of George Town... :D

Specs here... http://www.v-kool.com/solitaire.html
just because of 4% difference u take the risk for something that u know its not legal?

LCP, so how's the tint result? noticeable reduction in cabin temperature compare to the old film ? did the rear heater and antenna got damaged?
mine ( 3M film ) also staring to peel out at the edge of my rear windscreen. Newton quoted less than 2K for their 3M film. but it's a bit greenish colour which I don't prefer. so let me know when you're goign to golden and i can drop by to check out the tint and your ICE. cheers.

Really cool inside now, in fact I would say it is amazing considering the fact that the black leather seats have capability to absorb and store lotsa heat. Cabin temperature after parking for half a day in the sun is now lower than my dark bluish green Satria, that's why just a cheapo but fully legal RM800 tint. The nice thing with the Vkool is the aircon cools very very fast.

The 4% difference between the side Vkool40 and front Vkool70 in terms of IR blocking can be felt... there is virtually very little warmth from the sun through the side windows, but you can still feel a bit of tingling heat on your hand through the front windscreen.

Not sure when going Golden yet... concentrating now on doing up my Satria for the HPC track day...

LCP...did ur heater elements got damage when removing the old tints? mine did the last time they tinted the car. wonder if i need to get a new rear windshield or i can stick new elements.

Good question... visual inspection showed no damage on the heater elements. Also, my radio reception is somewhat better now, so i think the antenna elements also did not get damaged. I haven't used the heater elements yet since I put in the tint... the weather has been hot and unforgiving since then, no chance of condensation since the car is parked in a basement carpark overnight.

LCP i heard there'll be a roadblock tonite somewhere in georgetown .......anyway how's yr V kool tinted ? but today they inform tat basically they r goin for tinted cars hehehehehehe

Hahaha... no worries, car is parked in the basement, sound asleep... Will be driving my gangster Satria around later during dinner time... The Vkool... simply cool, very very effective screen against solar heat... yes, the tint does look a little bit dark, but nowhere near those I have seen on some cars/MPV.

LCP....does the tint affect your smart-tag....when I got my car 2 yrs back it already was V-cooled and my ST could not be read...had to put the window down and stick it outside.....2 weeks back had my windscreen replaced due to a nasty crack.....ST working perfectly now but wahlau.....much hotter in the car now.....looking to tint it again.....any suggestions man.....

Sorry, don't have Smart Tag, only the plain wind-down-the-window-and-stick-it-there Touch N Go card. Vkool uses metal deposition technology on the thin film, so it is very effective in blocking certain wavelength of solar energy, for example, infra red, and this is also the wavelength used for Smart Tag... I still think those idiots should have come up with the RF (radio frequency) or microwave version of Smart Tag instead of infra red which relies heavily on line-of-sight visibility.

Thanks bro.....maybe the organic tint some have advertised might also do the job.....will be checking out some tints soon to c what will suit me......cheers

Actually, regardless whether the tint is metallic or organic, if it blocks the same amount of infra red, then Smart Tag won't work well too. The difference is in the mobile phone reception, the metallic tint attenuates quite a bit of RF at GSM frequencies.

ya smart tag wont work on v-kool!

had to wind down my window everytime to 'hand up' the bloody tag on my previous car. but its really got at filtering the heat. so if u really have to, just remember not to tint the front windscreen (use other film instead)

Can still use V-kool, I heard some people cut a hole on the front tint where the Smart Tag IR transmitter/receiver is located...

IMHO, I think the front windscreen tint is very important as it is a very big area for solar heat to enter the car due to the slope of the windscreen. Even cutting a hole there will cause noticeably more heat to come in.

Maybe, to make it look better, put a similarly shaded but cheaper tint there on the hole... then the Smart Tag can be used again...

Top Bottom