Radiator or aircond leakage?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

masterbimmersjb001

Club Guest
Hi!just owned my E46 Japan spec a month ago.Everything goes fine, but found water leaking during car stopped with engine running.the leakage is gone when engine turned off.there was one time I refilled radiator tank with water after the light blinking (due to dry tank)the prob is due to radiator tank or aircond water flow getting wrong somewhere?

Where is actually the leak? Underneath the car is normal for aircon condensate

zeedo;672252 said:
Where is actually the leak? Underneath the car is normal for aircon condensate

yup.underneath the car.I think that is common too for aircon flow..
but still require another expert's opinion might be something is wrong.

i think i'll experiment to switch off the aircond whilst engine running & see if there's still dropping

Bmw coolant is blue in color, take some sample frm your expansion tank to compare

zeedo;672382 said:
Bmw coolant is blue in color, take some sample frm your expansion tank to compare

all model got same color ka?
mine just bought a month ago..dont know if the seller refill with new coolant..
any difference or not if they put only water?

all cars with aircond will pee water.it's called condensation.to clear doubts,run the engine with the a/c off.if still got pee most likely your coolant is leaking.....bad!get it fixed pronto.

if you want to know yr car coolant color,oopen up the radiator cap and see the kaler la.but don't open when engine hot pulak!

masterbimmersjb001;672458 said:
all model got same color ka?
mine just bought a month ago..dont know if the seller refill with new coolant..
any difference or not if they put only water?

Bmw coolant is blue,available in 1.5l bottle for RM35 at bavarian auto. Some just use water but i prefer to mix it with coolant and do flushing once a year. It can help to prolong water pump, thermostat and radiators life.

moots;672468 said:
all cars with aircond will pee water.it's called condensation.to clear doubts,run the engine with the a/c off.if still got pee most likely your coolant is leaking.....bad!get it fixed pronto.

if you want to know yr car coolant color,oopen up the radiator cap and see the kaler la.but don't open when engine hot pulak!

thats worry me..the water leaked like a pee..hopefully its due to aircond
hahaha..nobody dare to open while hot la bro..haha

anyway do your car air cond still cold or not?if there is any leaking in radiator hose..the tempt of ur aircond are not cold.
n if ur coolant amount reduce,normally it will show in the warning indicator.hope this help.

parc;672813 said:
anyway do your car air cond still cold or not?if there is any leaking in radiator hose..the tempt of ur aircond are not cold.
n if ur coolant amount reduce,normally it will show in the warning indicator.hope this help.

my aircond still cold..function as usual so far. no leaking on the hose.
the warning indicator had shown once..when i opened the cap..yes, the radiator was dry..as solution i just refilled the radiator with water..
i just afraid there'll be something else would contribute to the leakage...if there's none..thank GOD!!

if there is any leakage,normally it will show in the warning indicator.last mnth ive change both radiator hose(my hose didnt leak,but then keras already..)
ur ac still cold, no unusual sound come from compressor n coolant warning indicator didnt show,then i think it is normal.

anyway have u consult any reputable mechanic?just for opinion?

parc;673590 said:
if there is any leakage,normally it will show in the warning indicator.last mnth ive change both radiator hose(my hose didnt leak,but then keras already..)
ur ac still cold, no unusual sound come from compressor n coolant warning indicator didnt show,then i think it is normal.

anyway have u consult any reputable mechanic?just for opinion?

thnx bro for info.
i also think thats normal too..
just worry becoz my previous car never pee water that much..

how evr bro bring ur car to mech to check...guessing thing r not solving....cheersss

Bro, what year is your car? U know your engine code? M43, N42, N46, M52, M54?

Where's the water spot on the ground? at the front bumper radiator area? behind engine near firewall area?

My leak does not even stain the floor. It drips over the cat converter and dries there.. :13:

I'm tracing my N46 coolant lost and found it leak behind the header, a plastic cap with 3 screws.. item 17 below. Haven't got it fix yet.. the leak has stopped and I can see staglites forming around the plastic cap and the 3 screws.. ~Darn.. I just did my oil change and I got a chance to went under the car, this was seen from below. You can't see this from above because the pollen filter compartment has block the way.

It seems the N42 has this Cover Plate too.. anyone have bad experience with this plate? What is this plate for? Is it difficult to replace it ? coz it's very near to the firewall. And the cost if anyone know?

N46, item 17:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...6/browse/engine/cylinder_head_attached_parts/
ODQwMjJfcA==.png

N42, item 17:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...2/browse/engine/cylinder_head_attached_parts/
ODQwMjJfcA==.png

Hmmnn... anyone notice anything different between the two header? It seems the N42 and N46 sharing the same header.. :13:

Top Bottom