Purchasing a 318i(m) E36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DanPromote

Banned
Hello 3 series owners,I'm in the process of purchasing a 318i(m) E36 (now checking on loan) and wondering if you guys can give me some purchase tips on what to look out for. I've been told that the E36 mostly come in auto (but I'm a manual lover) and also manual gearbox parts are hard to find. Is that true? If anything goes wrong with the gearbox, can it be serviced easily or do I need to purchase a brand new one from BMW? From my initial checking it seems like the body is still in good condition as well as the leather seats. The rear lights have been replaced with the newer edition ones (white signal lights) but one of them has water vapor signs (leakage?). In the engine compartment, my friend also noticed some signs of steering oil leakage as well as aircond leakage (minor ones). The seller said he can replace all worn parts as well as spoilt parts before I get it. He's asking for RM38.5k for a Nov 1993 model (approx 220,000 km on it (quite normal for a 1993 car considering 20k a year as average). Upon checking with some banks it seems like that is a good price, a few thousand below the normal advertised price.I'm a previous owner of a Wira (still own it) & played with lots of modifications to it ie. evo conversion etc etc but now it's time to settle for something more refined and keep the wira for some fun track days. How is the maintainence cost for the e36? If I allocate RM500 a month for maintenance is that enough (not including loan repayment cost and petrol cost)?

1st of all....welcome to abroad ........E36 manual is a fun drive car....RM500/mths????? Nolah...but i think u need to spend a few thousand once u get the car to bring it to tip top condition n after that will be normal oil change service which will cost u less then RM200....BTW the E36 that u wanted to buy izzit the one opposite the UH?

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for your advise, I'm glad that the maintenance is much less than what I expected. I saw the car from PJ's Sunday Mart, it was sold by the buyer's mechanic. Anyway, he said he can do all the repairs to the body or engine before purchase so that's why I'd just like to find out what are the likely worn out parts for an E36.

I won't be doing much modifications to the E36 as I want to make sure it runs properly for a few months first.

welcome to the 3's league.......honoursly, i've never test drive 1.8 before, so dont'n no how true is the 'underpower' claim... but i've tried 2.5 and my ride is 2.8... drivin is irresistable.... :p anyway, u shud know better on what u r lookin for... good luck :D
be prepare with few k's on hand for the first time.... .500/month for maintenance?...nop..that's urban myth.........

I drive a 318i manual... its OK for daily drive...but the clutch is a bit heavy...

underpowered......? Yea maybe a bit... depends on a lot of factors....

Rim size...(maybe should stick to 16" or get really light 17"s)..... Exhaust setup (bullet?? sports box) and Air intake (Maybe Open Pot...).... once you get these factors right... Its quiet OK... can overtake almost anything else except other high powered UDM like manual 325i and auto 328i's... hehehe like Mienoz's hehehe :)

Welcome to BMW Manual bro.... good luck :nyehehe:

i spent almost 10k for the first two months (minus 5k for the nice to have items :p ) and now..... i spend ..errr "0" maintenence cost per month... take good care of the car and u won't have to go to see the workshop everymonth...

welcome...lupa pulak....

hi DanPromote, selamat datang! try get a loan form PB, they give good interest rate, only problem, u must hav good track record on ur whatsoever payment u hav taken loan from. if u r slowing down, then i believe E36 is most suitable for u. lain lah kalau u kaki lanyak, then go for E325 or E328 but prepare for higher comsumption and roadtax. maintenance wise on my E36 is low since i don't do any modifications, but once start to do it, then prepare for :getyourfactsright:

hey there danpromote--- firstly welcome to the club..

Gald to hear that you're into BMW's. anyway there is not a much of worries for a M40 manual...
maintainance view , ummm it depends on what how the car was taken care by the previous owner. as for the millage 220K is kindda alright as my ride too is clocking at 230Km now.

Also it's wise to get a good foreman to look into the car before purchase and also good to have a mechanic that could advise you in a good manner rather that slaughtering you when it comes to services and so on.

the car that was at sunday mart ...if m not mistaken was a silver coloured one... correct me if im wrong here.

all the best and do join us for TT ( teh tarik session ) once ya deal gets through ...

manual ... no need to worry much.. sweet car. :D

lionel, that's good to hear, becuase my friend spends RM1k a month on his alfa 156 and a service including timing belt change costs RM3k... way out of my reach as before this I was also considering the 156 (before hearing its maintenance cost).

mienoz... only 1 foot in the 3s, the 2nd feet waiting for loan.kekke so not really in yet, keeping my fingers crossed. The reason is I don't have a tax file yet (running own business) so it depends on the bank. Previously my proton which cost more than the 2nd hand 3 series was much easier to approve but now it seems the banks are very stringent ( I was told a lot of cars being repossesed in KL more than 1000 cars a month).

PGF - those are later plans will consider the exhaust (if it has a catalytic converter I'll remove that) and add a twin tip exhaust. I don't know why the previous owner changed the lights and also the rear logo to 328i but did not change the exhaust so a bit 'paiseh' coz I know bmw enthusiasts would spot it instantly. Also the rims are stock (I think it's 15in factory rims).

iceman - yea I'll definately get a foreman or mech to check out the car before I confirm. It's a blue/purplish one. I know a 1.8 won't be powerful but that does not worry me most of the time I'm only using it for city driving. Being poisoned by some of my friends but I think it's true, no matter how many horsepower on a proton (previously it was 300+ wheel hp) the chicks will still dig a bmw right? hehehh

DanPromote,

If you are willing to allocate RM500 a month (that's a good RM6000/yr) for maintanence, then you'll be surprised the e36 318 doesn't consume that amount of money (in terms of maintenance). Sure you may need to replace parts from time to time, but don't think you need to cough up RM500 a month. If you are into modification, then it is a different storey. ;)

Tq csquare from everyone's comments I have more confidence on the 3 series now as most of my friends advise me against getting a bmw - ie. usual reaons of being high maintenance and problematic but hearing from actual owners has proven otherwise. The good thing is that the seller has promised to repair any damage and replace any parts that are not functioning properly so I guess I should send it for a thorough inspection before paying.

Originally posted by DanPromote@Oct 12 2005, 04:33 AM
Tq csquare from everyone's comments I have more confidence on the 3 series now as most of my friends advise me against getting a bmw - ie. usual reaons of being high maintenance and problematic but hearing from actual owners has proven otherwise. The good thing is that the seller has promised to repair any damage and replace any parts that are not functioning properly so I guess I should send it for a thorough inspection before paying.
Most of the time your hear these stories is because people get charged too much for the parts and labour. On top of that some people get conned. If you really want 'save' money on maintaining your car, learn more about how your car works this helps when something goes wrong and your mechanics says something and you understand what he is saying. Otherwise he could just say anything and you'd probably agree.

Go and buy the Haynes Service Manual for your car....this is usefull because it explains a fair bit about your car and gives you the basic troubleshooting guide and how to do simple things to your car.

Next, find a good workshop to take your car to (thats the more difficult part) You can get reccomendations from other e36 owners.

Rm500 a month budget you can have a sweet e36 in no time haha.

If the previous owner promised to replace any worn out parts, then please go and get it inspected and when the parts are changed ask to view the old parts just to make sure that it has been done.

there is also a lot of info. on the forum itself, take your time and browse throught it.

Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by DanPromote@Oct 12 2005, 04:33 AM
If u talking about newer bimmer loke E46 or E90 then the maintenance might higher but for E36, i think is not too bad actually..of cause the maintenance sure will higher then Japanese car due to higher price for the parts. But bear in mind the ori bimmer parts car last longer then Japanese parts and end of the day.....It the same ! Somemore for manual, u no need to worry bout the auto gear box which i think will cost a bomb.....So no worry like skar said, find a good workshop to maintain ur car......My advice is change all the wear n tear parts once u get the car....Don't do it one by one cos labour will be charge each time u repair ur ride....Good Luck....
Btw, for 93 (M) @ RM38,500 is a very good deal cos the 92 still selling about 40k-42k at the used car.....

Thanks I appreciate all your comments I get the general idea. My friend has suggested me to visit MPH and read up a BMW buyers guide so I'll go visit and spend some time there. Good to know most of the bmw owners here are a friendly and helpful bunch out there to help a newbie eventhough it's just an entry level BMW.

One thing I noticed about BMW owners, why do some of you guys find it almost a sin if one were to convert the original engine to a Jap engine eg. SR20? Not that I'm considering.. but who knows if the gearbox breaks down one day and I can't find any replacement...

engine mounting for my e36 318i costs about RM100+, whereas that of a Kelisa costs about RM300+ (that's what my mech told me)

Top Bottom