(Possible) E39 owner...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GoldenHawk

Club Guest
Greeting.I'm contemplating the purchase of an E39 and I actually jumped-the-gun with my queries in the E39 section. Thanks to bimmerholic for pointing me here.Anyway, I'm an engineer from Malacca currently employed in Seremban and I just lost my beloved daily-ride. I'm in the midst of deciding if I should go for broke and go after my dream ride or put it off and go for a more 'accepted' option (i.e: local made). Thus, I'd appreciate any feedback here: --> http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?47929-(Possible)-E39-owner-s-dilemma...Again, it's nice to be in the midst of UDM drivers - it's an honour :)

GoldenHawk;739614 said:
Greeting.

I'm contemplating the purchase of an E39 and I actually jumped-the-gun with my queries in the E39 section. Thanks to bimmerholic for pointing me here.
Anyway, I'm an engineer from Malacca currently employed in Seremban and I just lost my beloved daily-ride. I'm in the midst of deciding if I should go for broke and go after my dream ride or put it off and go for a more 'accepted' option (i.e: local made). Thus, I'd appreciate any feedback here:
--> http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?47929-(Possible)-E39-owner-s-dilemma...

Again, it's nice to be in the midst of UDM drivers - it's an honour :)

GoldenHawk,
It's a very good "life's goal or vision" and I have been through somewhat your path too. Don't mean to discourage you or something but be mindful that, the transition from local/Japanese make to European (more than 10 years old) could be "dramatic". Buying is the easiest part BUT it's the service & maintenance and not to mention your commitment of time to visit the mechanics which often gives you the nightmares.

BMW 7833 is spot on, you need to put aside an average RM 500-600 per month for repair, service and maintenance costs.
Read this forum and you will understand,
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?1413-e39-Parts-and-Maintenance-Cost

This is excluding all other "poisonous items" such as rims, bodykits, interior "cosmetics".....etc.

If you have decided to go ahead, suggest you look for the last E39 model year 2002-2003, even the 520i 2.2 litre is adequate for daily run. If you want more 'oomph', then 525i or 530i will be your pick.

All the best!

GoldenHawk;739614 said:
Greeting.

I'm contemplating the purchase of an E39 and I actually jumped-the-gun with my queries in the E39 section. Thanks to bimmerholic for pointing me here.
Anyway, I'm an engineer from Malacca currently employed in Seremban and I just lost my beloved daily-ride. I'm in the midst of deciding if I should go for broke and go after my dream ride or put it off and go for a more 'accepted' option (i.e: local made). Thus, I'd appreciate any feedback here:
--> http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?47929-(Possible)-E39-owner-s-dilemma...

Again, it's nice to be in the midst of UDM drivers - it's an honour :)

Hi GoldenHawk,

E39 is a lovely car. Had a 2001 530 before. Even supercharged it ;-)
Now driving a 525 Touring which is due for scrapping in Dec 2012 (Stupid Singapore COE system ;-()
The car still drives very well and extremely nice IL6 silken sound from the engine. Look for a good example and I am sure you will have no regrets.

Jerman;739619 said:
GoldenHawk,
It's a very good "life's goal or vision" and I have been through somewhat your path too. Don't mean to discourage you or something but be mindful that, the transition from local/Japanese make to European (more than 10 years old) could be "dramatic". Buying is the easiest part BUT it's the service & maintenance and not to mention your commitment of time to visit the mechanics which often gives you the nightmares.

BMW 7833 is spot on, you need to put aside an average RM 500-600 per month for repair, service and maintenance costs.
Read this forum and you will understand,
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?1413-e39-Parts-and-Maintenance-Cost

This is excluding all other "poisonous items" such as rims, bodykits, interior "cosmetics".....etc.

If you have decided to go ahead, suggest you look for the last E39 model year 2002-2003, even the 520i 2.2 litre is adequate for daily run. If you want more 'oomph', then 525i or 530i will be your pick.

All the best!
Thanks for the advice Jerman, albeit being a little discouraging. Looks like my dreams are drifting further... :(

uno;739622 said:
Hi GoldenHawk,

E39 is a lovely car. Had a 2001 530 before. Even supercharged it ;-)
Now driving a 525 Touring which is due for scrapping in Dec 2012 (Stupid Singapore COE system ;-()
The car still drives very well and extremely nice IL6 silken sound from the engine. Look for a good example and I am sure you will have no regrets.
Ooh... I LOVE the touring. Rarity on Malaysian roads. Wish I could find one... I'd snap it up if I get it for a nice price! :p

Not sure about the possibility of exporting it from Singapore to Malaysia. The car is 9 and half years old and the genuine mileage is 102K km. Everything is tip top and original. The car yard in Singapore only offered S$3K for the body. Not sure what they are going to do with it. But it will really be a pity to cut it up. The car has been religiously serviced every 10K km and all wear and tears replaced.

Sg vehicle cannot reg in Malaysia bro.

Indeed sayang to see such nice car to cut into 2 pieces. Anything to demod?

Nothing to demod from my Touring. Everything is 100% original. But I do have a set of original BMW Style 71 forged 2-piece rims at home though.

Top Bottom