Overhaul N46 how much the cost?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
The yellow light appear when I driving at nite hav to send to workshop the next day n check, so before I send in I hav to top up the engine oil before I go. The mach told me visual no oil leak so might b the piston ring problem n if yes I need to over haul it. They said since this is the 1st time I need to monitor another 1000 km see how much it less then only they check n confirm again. So I just ask the worst case happen how much I need to spend.

wsonny;782577 said:
The yellow light appear when I driving at nite hav to send to workshop the next day n check, so before I send in I hav to top up the engine oil before I go. The mach told me visual no oil leak so might b the piston ring problem n if yes I need to over haul it. They said since this is the 1st time I need to monitor another 1000 km see how much it less then only they check n confirm again. So I just ask the worst case happen how much I need to spend.

This seems to be quite common for eng oil loss issue. if i remember correctly, correct me if I am wrong, using semi synthethics or slightly thicker viscosity eng oil should solve the problem .It has been discussed in the e90 thread. Try browse the forum e90 threads to find more info. goood luck my friend

full overhaul is a very expensive job bro!
Parts alone will set you back around RM4k! Labour should be around RM2k-RM3k.
1)Head gasket
2)Valve cover gasket
3)Conrod bearing
4)Piston ring
5)Crankshaft bearing
6)etc.....

Changing engine would be a much cheaper option. If you really want to save cost, you can try sourcing for a N42 engine. Should cost you around RM3k++(depending on your negotiation tactic). If I am not mistaken later e46 (2004 & above) also use n46, but the difference is there is an engine oil dipstick which is a better if you ask me :p.

1. What's the error code?

2. Can u see sludge through the oil filler cap? Oil change every 10k? Fully synthetic?

3. Wet/oily exhaust tail pipe?

4. Mileage?

Let‘s not assume worst case scenario.. in fact worst case scenario is dispose it off.. :4:

No wet exhaust pipe, no leaking on engine part. Mayb I try to change the engine oil n see

this is a common issue with the N42/46 engines...mine consumes every 1000-1500km. I just top up. Problem is the valve seals which worn out. If my car idles too long, puffs of smoke can be seen occasionally. Anyway try changing to thicker oil like 5w/50 which I am doing this coming sat. Hope it slows down the consumption.

Do you mind to share which mechanic are you referring to?

But if you want a practically a new engine then a rebuilt is the way to go but more expensive as mentioned by gimli than changing with a used engine from chop shop. I prefer rebuilt and went through it early this year but be prepare make your wallet slimmer

I haven't done the valve seals replacement yet, hoping to delay unless really need to...coz my engine just 105k km la......just changed to 5w-50 penzzoil synthetic...will monitor and see if it helps with the oil consumption. Stay tune!

Top Bottom