[Newbie] - Suggestion on E36..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

astrone

Club Guest
Assalam and hello to all my UDM members..I'm Wan, I just finished my degree on accounting, now I'm looking for a car, whether to get 2nd hand Perodua Viva 1000cc or BMW E36 325.. hahaha.. Sorry for comparing BMW machine with Perodua, I just have 10k cash and I'm trying to decide what kind of car that I afford to buy.. Most of my degree friends suggested Viva, but most my older friends suggested BMW E36, based on my cash budget.. I prefer to my older friends because they experienced more than mine, I admit.. I'm not really an expert in car, just have basic in motorcycle..My question is:-1) if it possible to me to buy BMW? How about loan ya? 2) how to check whether the machine is O.K or K.O? takut2 lepas beli je, terus break down, sudaahhh...haha3) diesel or petrol engine ya? based on my reading, petrol more stable than diesel.. but how about the performance, consumption and maintenance ya? Sorry for questioning too much, I really need for your suggestions and help.. and for my broken English..haha~Thanks my new friends..

bro... emmmm baru habis grad yer.... biasanye e36 have to buy cash.... bcoz kereta remaja.... or get personal loan... or maybe still have some car finance company can offer... but check with salesman first...

Then standby some pocket money for the car (around rm3k should be enough for beginning)... usually you need to do somethings when get the car... it's will not fully tip top... if just an average market price car.... This is from my experience and survey from this forum...

think twice and make your decision...

I've just completed my degree as well and i opted for the Bimmer straightaway. and a 328 at that (with the ludicrous road tax). not regretting one bit of it.

UnoS - TQ bro.. hahaha.. ingat nak fikir2 lagi, tmbah2 ni first car.. oo,bro duduk di salak tinggi ke? saya di nilai, praktikal di cheras.. tqvm bro..
clovi5 - oo.. the difference is,saya belum ada lagi.. haha.. TQ for your recommendation..

Astrone, if u have strong financial support than go for UDM, but if so so than just take VIVA or MyVI. To get a e36 which price around RM25 to RM35k (in average), u must have at least 15k to 20k for the downpayment, and the balance can pay throughj installment. After that please standby around RM10k for any part replacement. Maybe less as bro unos said he just spend RM3k, but it is depend on individual luck. For me, i spent around RM10k for parts replacement, new paint, sport rim and etc so far after 2 years owning it and my e36 is my secondary car, used only for balik kampung, jalan2 and weekend only.

But my personal advice, be patient, get a job with rm3 to rm4k salary, and go for newer model, e46 or e39 at least.

Hi astrone,

I am in the same situation like you last month.I just graduated last year.I was contemplating between myvi or bmw 325i.Finally I bought the E36 325i.Actually the cost of ownership is same if you compare new myvi (RM50k) and bmw 325i (RM25k).With Myvi = low maintenance but high loan expenses.With BMW = high maintenance but low loan expenses.Example : Myvi operating cost RM200 per month and loan payment RM400 per month.BMW operating cost RM400 per month and loan payment RM200 per month.This is based on my situation.Yours might be different.For me I rather pay for fuel and maintenance rather than paying the banks. Its the best decision ever!

Tips:Try to find bmw sold by direct owner (preferably rich) rather than used car shops.I bought my BMW from a doctor who want to sell his E36 325i because he has too many cars in the house hehe

wslam.Go bmw la. I also graduated n get bmw after 5 months workg.worth it la bro. Viva 1000cc jalan bandar ok la but for long distance or on hiway, too slow. Bonet pun kecik hehe. Get 325i if possible. If car cannot loan, buy cash using personal loan. Keep your 10k standby for maintainance. Ok!

hahaha.. orait2,thanks saz, kitt and ezzo.. xpe, smpat lg nk kumpul,kukuhkan financial..hehe
tqvm all.. nak tanya, antara petrol dgn diesel,mana lagi ok eh? sebab ada juga kawan sy bgtau BMW E36 325 diesel boleh dpt dlm rm19000,cash..
sy xnk tergesa2, cuma nk tmbh pngetahuan sblm mmbeli..
TQ friends...

astrone;708498 said:
hahaha.. orait2,thanks saz, kitt and ezzo.. xpe, smpat lg nk kumpul,kukuhkan financial..hehe
tqvm all.. nak tanya, antara petrol dgn diesel,mana lagi ok eh? sebab ada juga kawan sy bgtau BMW E36 325 diesel boleh dpt dlm rm19000,cash..
sy xnk tergesa2, cuma nk tmbh pngetahuan sblm mmbeli..
TQ friends...

first time dengar e36 engine diesel kt malaysia!!

must be the

BMW E36 325td 2,498 cc 6cyl SOHC 12V Diesel 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp 230 N·m (170 lb·ft) @1900 rpm
Engine M51D25
Year 1991–1996
1996–1998

must be that green 325td.displayed so many times already at mudah.many people advice to stay away from that car because e36 diesel has a lot of problems.engine spare parts also very hard to find in Malaysia.For diesel 3 series, only e46 model and years after has good diesel engine.

astrone, if you in ipoh, try to find kar seng 2nd hand car dealer, i brought mine from him, no regret. in his shop have few units good condition e36 as well e46. if interested search for kar seng in perak at mudah. many car not listed yet in mudah. last time i saw 1 ori manual e36 318

hai bro......find the car that we affort to maintain than that we affort to buy...think wisely..bro....

Quite a few young e36 owners hmm? All coming out of the woodwork now hahaha..
I bought my current e36 after about a year working, so somewhat same situation.

Anyway, a lot of good advice in here and gotta agree that should buy the car that you can afford to maintain rather than the car you can afford to buy. While an e36 can be cheaper than a 50k Myvi after factoring in loans and depreciation (e36 wont depreciate significantly), one thing to note is that the e36 will be financially demanding if things fail one after another, so you will need to have 1-3k cash on standby in case things break (cooling system, clutch/automatic transmission, engine oil leak, gearbox leak, absorber, bushings, tires, etc). Road tax will be RM 874 a year, new insurance can cost a good bundle.

Consider it properly and good luck with your decision!

TQVM bro 2wenty6, yat325, saz, kitt, and bro unos.. im just searching for my own, maybe for next 5 months, after masuk TM, tempat scholars sy, insyaAllah.. as fresh graduate, saya masih kurang ilmu dalam dunia luar sebegini.. hehe.. it's ok, i will think wisely, thank for all advices, appreciated.. hehe.. Road tax will be RM 874 a year?? fuiyoo.. kancil sy baru RM20, kalau xsilap..hahaha.. raya cina baru ni sy test drive kete kwn,mmg ok.. minyak lebih kurang dengan proton waja sy rasa.. ptut la my friend suggest E36.. TQ friends..

nk lg jimat e36 318.. road tax RM278 je sethn. minyak isi RM50 ron 95 easily bole pegi 200-250km (short distance) n 300-350km (long distance) depend on how d way u drive it. no regret at all so far.. :)

318 i can say a good start for beginner in udm like me.its a lerning curve to understand about bmw.if your salary about 2k n below, this would b a great choice in terms of fuel maintenance and spare parts.

many says 318 is a good start for a beginner ..yeppp spot on ..but make sure you could withstand the power bug when the racun kings comes closer to you ....

my entire journey with a slow moo 318 ownership (5 year before ending my HP ) only spent around rm4~5K max for engine parts wear and tear which the highest bill was for a total complete aircond replacment work ( 1.3K )

the rest was mainly on engine lubes etc etc ...as i change my engine oil pretty frequent to keep my engine as healthy as possible ... transmission / axle oil change every year , engine oil every 45 days , radiator flush every 6 months ...belting and hoses every 2 years once ....

best bet is to get a car fully equipted with bodykit , wheels , a good brand of shocks and a reasonable paintwork to last for a couple of years ..it maybe slight costly, but it saves a little when comes to doing it by yourself later on ...unless you're the type that prefers not to mod and keep it stock ...

as for being a powerfreak that can't withstand a kancil overtaking you ..then better get a 6 potter .... 325 or 328 ..usually when comes to parts replacement i don't really see much difference when being compared to an 318 ...

example : 318 alternator -- rm 300
325/318 alternator -- rm400

318 radiator -- rm550
325/385 radiator -- rm 650

318 radiator hose -- rm 60
325/ 328 radiotor hose -- Rm50

318 aircond works ( cooling coil replace etc etc ) Rm 1.2K
325 / 328 aircond works -- RM 1.2 K

QUOTE : the above price is the rough figures from some of the works done past years
so don't tell me that all 318 parts are usually cheap .... so do your maths and you'll see the answer yourself ....

hi ICEMAN, thank you for your info about the gathering.. :)

first bro, if you buy e36, replace the fuel pump first. :). i learnt from my experience..
go for 325 or 328 if credit permitted, as part price, not much different between 318 & 325 & 328.

note : i already drove 318, my opinion is, no power laaa.. for normal drive and touch up for great looking, then fine.. my 2cents oniee.

Top Bottom