New baby is in the house....need help on some indications.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

smilindevil

Club Guest
I really need you guy's help on some indication on my E39 520 year 2001 model with m54 engine. firstly, its the 3 green dashes that come on the dashboard near the obc when ignition is on before starting the engine. Also i notice the engine oil light comes on every time i turn off the engine. The light automatically goes off after few minutes. what could it be? You guy's help is really appreciated.:)
16042011046.jpg

Congrats on your acquisition bro.

Perdana sold already? :p

Btw, those three lights might indicate that service is due soon. My car has similar lights too, only that it will sometimes flash an INSPECTION light in red when service is due.

Hope the E39 gurus will help impart their knowledge soon. :top:

thanks eggie.....perdana still around bro.....service due ah? The car was just serviced before taking it out from the used car dealership.... hopefully its not something major.....and i'm really worried about the eng oil light..

The engine oil light is the one on the most left of the picture? Hmm.

Hopefully nothing serious bro.

The guy who did the oil service didn't reset the service indicator. If he reset it should look like this:

DSCN0103.jpg

The above means the oil has just been serviced. Over time, the number of green dots will become less, and then red dots will appear indicating oil service is needed. However, using the indicator would lead you to change engine oil every 15,000km-25,000 (? not sure) which you might want to change a bit more frequently

thanks for the info bro, since the car is still under the dealership's warranty period, i guess the best option is to bring it back to them to verify the defect.....but i must say this.....the feeling of a UDM.....speechless

Haywire, how come your dash different from smilindevil's? Higher spec ah?

520 and 530 have diff dash i guess... cos the dials for 525 and 520 e34s are different

Iylia H;628320 said:
520 and 530 have diff dash i guess... cos the dials for 525 and 520 e34s are different

Ahh thanks for the tip Iylia.

Never sat in the E34 before. Always thought that the E34s and 32s share the same dashboard since they're both driver-centric too. :p

Iylia H;628320 said:

thanks Iylia H..... i was wondering about that different dashes too....

Bro, share some pics of your E39 la..

Can see from your avatar, but too small. The rims look like M5 ones. :p Kekeke...

Eggie86;628318 said:
Haywire, how come your dash different from smilindevil's? Higher spec ah?

Not my dash la...off the internet. Not from E39. Dash is unimportant here, the message is about the green dots.

Since the question come up, I'll answer anyway, yes there are two version of instrument cluster, theres the LOW version and theres the HIGH version.

LOW OBC

E39_Low_OBC.jpg

HIGH OBC (I have this)

E39_High_OBC.jpg

i think the last batch of e39 520 has the high OBC. I realised this when didn't any car with the door open/close mimic. was complaining to the dealer why its 'fused/burnt' and was informed that the higer spec wants comes in text form. malu

Thanks Haywire,

I was actually hard pressed to figure out the difference between both the High and Low OBC in the pics. Looks very similar for the top part.

Eggie86;628364 said:
Thanks Haywire,

I was actually hard pressed to figure out the difference between both the High and Low OBC in the pics. Looks very similar for the top part.

The difference is in the bottom bit. The low obc would show a picture of a car with open doors to show that the door is open. The high obc would show "DOOR OPEN" in text. High obc is more capable of showing errors in the car. Radia station etc will also show on there.

haywire;628368 said:
The difference is in the bottom bit. The low obc would show a picture of a car with open doors to show that the door is open. The high obc would show "DOOR OPEN" in text. High obc is more capable of showing errors in the car. Radia station etc will also show on there.

Ooh, thanks for the clarification Haywire. :top:

Yeah, I noticed in the first pic of this thread of the image of the car with the doors open. The High OBC must be way better then! :top:

haywire;628376 said:
Wei eggie, you dont work ah?

Hahaha. :vroam:

Multitasking la... Work awhile, then open Chrome, check BMWCM, then close. :4:

Eggie86;628378 said:
Hahaha. :vroam:

Multitasking la... Work awhile, then open Chrome, check BMWCM, then close. :4:

Same here then hehehe. Although I keep a very small window open in the corner of my screen hahaha

Top Bottom