Need help, gearbox cant reverse 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

eujinee

Club Guest
guys, need your advisemy udm gearbox today decided not to engage to reverse. i tried restart the car also couldnt work. there is a beep when i engage R so i assume the ECU know the gear at R but it just didnt engage.i called up my mech he said start the car engange D drive for 15 mins and see whether can engage R or not.after i did wat i have been told, it actually work. he said it some clutch issue.. i just wana get 2nd opinion on what actually happen and how much is the cost to fix it.my car is m43b19 odo reaching 320k

quite well known issue I think for some e46 having no (R)everse. It could be just a simple Reverse solenoid switch thats need to replace, few hundreds should do it.

Go to MScope. They are apparently good.

thanks bro...will try get it there....

mind ask what gearbox is my car using???isit ZF or GM????

Happened to my E46 328. The mech replaced the "valve body" in the gearbox, no more prob after that.

eujinee;757248 said:
thanks bro...will try get it there....

mind ask what gearbox is my car using???isit ZF or GM????

this am not sure bro...the older 1.9 could be using ZF. best is to check in realoem.com and cross reference the model number with online sites :)

thanks bro....looking at it..is GM gearbox

A4S 310R = GM 4L30E

after a detail findings around forums to forums.....i think i had a TCC solenoid goes out your locked out of reverse....

i wonder any workshop in kl does this.....any member try before???

try MScope as mentioned, they might be able to sort it out for you.

And since u're on GM gearbox, remember to use Dexron gear oil and not ZF Lifeguard... :)

Iceduke;757500 said:
try MScope as mentioned, they might be able to sort it out for you.

And since u're on GM gearbox, remember to use Dexron gear oil and not ZF Lifeguard... :)

Thanks bro...mind ask where is mscope...??

M-Scope Repairs & Services Sdn.
No. 49, Jalan SBC 3, Taman Sri Batu Caves, Batu Caves, 68100, Batu Caves, Selangor
03-6186-3799

:)

or you may call Ah Wai 016-3375880, very experience guy on BMW, Benz, etc. Just had mine done by him.

Got a problem with my udm this morning, cant go reverse when i engage in R. Went to m-scope as suggested. Initially thought that it is just a simple solenoid valve problem, but instead the foreman told me that for e46 you need to do overhaul, cannot just do parts replacement. He quoted RM8000 for e46 n42b20 engine. So went on driving, engage tiptronic, shift up and down, then tried going reverse and walla! It's ok now. Maybe it will happen again in the future. :(

bro shahrir, hmm why would they recommend an engine change if its just a GB swap? Perhaps they recommend you get a chopped GB instead of repairing as repairing the GB is about that price as well give or take 1k or so.

Why don't you try changing the oil and see first? Could be a clogged auto filter. Or best get a 2nd opinion.

Got mine overhauled, GB now runs and shifts smoothly. Did mine in Sunwaymas, PJ with M-Sport Auto.

always get a 2nd or best 3rd opinion prior to committing to any major repair. As I am sure you guys know there are many mechs who wanna make mega bucks just because we drive the blue and white roundel... just my 2 cent advise :)

Top Bottom