need help! e36 cannot start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

burn

Club Guest
seriously need help from the seniors!first time happening n tumolo is a public holiday! oops means today since it is 12.49am. just don't know who to call since i hav never encounter any problem! decided to hav my car service in segamat by end of this month but tonight, all of the sudden, the car couldn't start, after a few second, i try again n still no go.during starting time, engine is cranking but just won't start!im stayin in OUG, old klang road, is there any mechanic i can refer around this area. dare not call a normal mechanic since they are more specialize on japs car. :beaten:

could be fuel pump... try knok knok on the fuel pump and try starting again...

Bro I dont want to scare you away but if your engine is a M40 model it could be timing belt broken! That is what happened to my ride last year. If your car doesnt shake or vibrate while you start and you feel the engine very loose when you crank it confirm it is the timing belt. The remedy for this problem is, get a second hand head set and change it because most of your valves will be bent. It is not worth it to refurbish or repair back the engine because you will have to change all the valves and do a top overhaul. Another possibility is your air flow meter or controller which is a black box located at just beside the air intake filter box. Try knocking it because the valves inside it may freeze or jammed. For the fuel pump, you have to dismantle your passenger seat, unscrew few nuts and listen to the pump at ACC mode. Dont crank it. If you hear the motor moving, then it is not the fuel pump. The fuel pump is located below the passenger seat right behind your drivers seat. The last possibility is your distributor. This is quite complicated. What you have to do is, take out your plug cable and short it to any metal found below the hood. Crank the engine. If you see sparks then your distributor is working. Try changing your spark plugs. Thats is all I know. I hope that these procedures can help you find the fault. Good luck!

his car is 1997 318i leh.. (see the side bar).. so it's definitely not M40....

try checking the crankshaft sensor.

of course check got petrol in the tank..

hi big thanks fabian, vladd n jarance!
went to heritage at OKR but close, so went behind my condo, a newly car service centre open recently. took a young mechanic to check the car and was surprised to see what he was doing. he know where to check first!
it is what i hav read thru this forum, what to check first!
1. firstly trying to hear something near the driver side
2. secondly, checking the fuse box on the engine
3. thirdly, checking the oil pump on the right hand rear side
4. then fourthly, take out the fuel pump and jump start it until dry, then put it back
first start, engine firing
mechanic told me since the fuel pump is working, then it is no need to change it!
but decided to change it my end of the month, just incase.

shopname - CSL HOSPOWER tyre n autocare centre
location - tmn industrial bukit OUG
mechanic - kwong
repair cost - RM55 outdoor service

many thanks again for the support n advise! :yes:

Originally posted by achtung!@Nov 2 2005, 01:34 PM
bro ive xperienced this before..check your crank sensor...
hi achtung! thanks for the reply, but the culprit was a fuel pump on the right handside! got it change for rm535! hey thanks for the info, might as well change the crank sensor next month b4 it kong out! the old ones can use as a spare. just incase! since always travel a lot in the wee hours... :eek:k:

Top Bottom