Need advice on BMW 535i experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

smugams

Club Guest
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I used to own 2014 F10 528i M sport couple of years back but sold it due to long term work placement abroad. Now I am travelling within Asia so its time to get a car again. I am deciding to go for 535i with 6IL twin scrolled turbo version. Most likely 2011 version. Anybody have experience with this spec? The things to look out for and maintenance wise? Any advice here will be much appreciated!

Lovely n powerful car to drive. Sweet inline 6. 300hp car......strikes the right balance.

Since its gonna be an 8 year old car, things to look out for:
1. the N55 engine - muted engine, limited possibility to push further unlike the N54
2. HPFP - if its a local spec car, possibility it failing is very high. cost rm3.5k++ a pop to fix
3. adaptive sussy - might need to renew
4. make sure u change all fluid, including ATF
5. various wear n tear - plastic & rubber parts, seals, gaskets, sensors

Get urself a good mechanic who understand the car i.e. mechanically n electronically.

Might want to refer to my post here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/index.php?threads/f10-parts-service-cost.40840/

Lovely n powerful car to drive. Sweet inline 6. 300hp car......strikes the right balance.

Since its gonna be an 8 year old car, things to look out for:
1. the N55 engine - muted engine, limited possibility to push further unlike the N54
2. HPFP - if its a local spec car, possibility it failing is very high. cost rm3.5k++ a pop to fix
3. adaptive sussy - might need to renew
4. make sure u change all fluid, including ATF
5. various wear n tear - plastic & rubber parts, seals, gaskets, sensors

Get urself a good mechanic who understand the car i.e. mechanically n electronically.

Might want to refer to my post here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/index.php?threads/f10-parts-service-cost.40840/

Thank bro Gen! I am looking for a fully loaded UK import model. Shortlisted a couple of em and going through the spec. I will put aside some fund for the wear and tear repairs. Yeah I agree with you, 8 yrs car and mostly should be above 100k KM. I tried the 528i 3.0 without the turbo version but it was quite sluggish in low rev...almost felt like the car is overweight. On high rev it was ok but still felt the car not really performing. That is why I decided to go for the 535i instead. Read a lot of good reviews online. I will test drive one soon to see how it feels. Thanks again bro for the pointers. Please share any advice available here.

Thank bro Gen! I am looking for a fully loaded UK import model. Shortlisted a couple of em and going through the spec. I will put aside some fund for the wear and tear repairs. Yeah I agree with you, 8 yrs car and mostly should be above 100k KM. I tried the 528i 3.0 without the turbo version but it was quite sluggish in low rev...almost felt like the car is overweight. On high rev it was ok but still felt the car not really performing. That is why I decided to go for the 535i instead. Read a lot of good reviews online. I will test drive one soon to see how it feels. Thanks again bro for the pointers. Please share any advice available here.

Always a pleasure bro. Yes the 535i strikes a wonderful balance between power n comfort (to me la personally...) UK spec units are excellent specimens, but unfortunately, do not believe the odo reading, as almost all the time, its been tempered with... sigh.... oh and another thing, if u get a unit off a dealer, insist on a 3rd party warranty provider (Warranty Smart, Ezy Care etc....) for peace of mind. I got to claim replacement of my HPFP & ECU thru warranty. Otherwise it wld cost a bomb!

Mind sharing the unit ur eyeing?

Always a pleasure bro. Yes the 535i strikes a wonderful balance between power n comfort (to me la personally...) UK spec units are excellent specimens, but unfortunately, do not believe the odo reading, as almost all the time, its been tempered with... sigh.... oh and another thing, if u get a unit off a dealer, insist on a 3rd party warranty provider (Warranty Smart, Ezy Care etc....) for peace of mind. I got to claim replacement of my HPFP & ECU thru warranty. Otherwise it wld cost a bomb!

Mind sharing the unit ur eyeing?

Thanks again bro Gen! Damn would you belief it, the dealer actually sold it now to a cash buyer? I put 5k deposit to hold the car but since I am abroad now cannot sign any agreement. They sold it bro! But that one is used car not UK spec. I am in contact with a private seller now with UK spec. Will update you once we can get a deal agreed. Will be back in first week of Dec to hunt for a car if I cannot close a deal soon. If private seller I will just take to the a bmw dealership to do a 360 inspection. May cost me around 600-800RM but probably it is worth the money. What you think?
How much will the HPFP or ECU would cost to replace? just curious.
I better start reading on some maintenance specific to the 535i. When I had my 528i MS 2014 LCI, it was all good under warranty and no repair done as the car was all good mostly used for long distance between Penang and KL. I really enjoyed that car. F10s are nice which is why I am willing to go back to same model but with a little more grunt under the hood.:)

Hope I can share the good news in a couple of weeks if I do get it. ;)

Thats shitty bro. Hopefully the next unit is a gem, a far better deal compared to the dealer's. Yes, do take it for an inspection. It'll be able to tell u the full record (if it was maintained by an authorised SC, n more importantly, the actual mileage!! To me, its money well spent. Did that to my ride before sealing the deal too. managed to shave off a few thousand ringgit after the inspection due to wear n tear items.... hahaha

HPFP cost approx rm3.5k new. ECU cost approx rm8k++ new, excluding programming.

u'll b grinning fm ear to ear with that Penang-KL drive......

all the best in ur search bro!

Hi Bro Gen! after reading the online reviews of the N55 (535i 6IL Turbo) and N52 (528i 6IL NA), I am a bit uncertain with the reliability of the N55 engine. Some saying its is better than the N54 (twin turbo) but not as reliable as the N52 non turbo version. What is your take in this as you own a 535i N55 right?

I am thinking long term usage (mostly highway drive PG-KL) and I don't wanna be stuck with very unreliable motor and turbo charger parts. I need to think about this again. I know if I get the N52 it is much cheaper and probably the easiest to maintain but maybe I wont get the chance to really have fun on long distance drive if I want some power. On the other hand I also don't want to frequent mechanics due to unreliable engine performances.

I have 2 weeks to decide as I have a potential seller for the 535i and also found some nice 528i 3.0 with N52 out there.

Hmmm I am really thinking hard now as I do not want to worry about this anymore after I commit to buy. For now, it is still not too late.

Would appreciate your input as you have used 535i N55 I hope.

Thanks.

Hmmm..... where shall i start then? The opinion that i will share is purely based on my experience, and conversations with fellow owners (of various models/engines).

N54 - most potential in terms of modding n increasing of horsepower. for hardcore petrolheads, those with a heart condition (or pocket condition, stay away. heard someone had reached 700whp after expensive mods.2 turbos (twin turbo) n depending on luck, some had to rebuild their turbos (well they did max the car out). oh not to forget the injectors!

N55 - revised/upgraded fm the N54. better designed with single turbo with twin scrolls. supposed to eliminate lag (if not mistaken). some parts were upgraded/redesigned like HPFP, turbo. limited/restricted potential (max 30% up) to safeguard engine (bear in mind the same engine was used in earlier versions of the M2, but different tuning of course). effortless climb when u put the pedal to the metal. my ride is already 9 years old. no turbo issues. changed HPFP

N52 - naturally aspirated (N/A) inline-6. gives u the signature BMW note. no turbo, means lesser parts. stock, does not produce as much horses as the turbo siblings. theoretically, 'easier'/'cheaper' to maintain due to non-existence of those pesky turbos.... but u'll b staring at the butt of those 2 above. i hv a buddy with an N52, he's having much more issues than me, as the previous owner 'neglected' it. he just changed HPPF

based on the above, the only difference is the presence of turbo on N54 & N55. If u take that away, maintenance of the engine wld b more or less the same across all 3 engines. Dependent on the year u choose, there r still wear n tear items that u need to change. on this note, suggest u get a car with full service records (since u found a potential seller, easier to scrutinise). in long run, with how u described ur gonna use the car, i foresee u'd kick ur self in the behind for not choosing the N55. remember this mantra "u wanna play, u gotta pay". maintenance is of utmost importance. i change engine oil every 7.5k km, changed wear n tear items before they fail..... preventive

Importantly, find urself a mechanic who knows the engine or what he's doing.

to sum it all up, it depends on how u take care of the car........ and LUCK!

p/s come for teh tarik when ur back, we can story long long one.....

good luck!!

Hi Bro Gen! A fantastic insight into the options. Truly appreciate your advice here. I have come to a conclusion now:

N54 with all the mod options is definitely not my cup of tea! I am not that adventurous or power crazy!! The most I would wanna to do to the stock engine would be an upgraded air-intake and exhaust system.

N52 sounds ok but that lame engine response from my first test drive is still putting me off. And just for a virtual reliability sake I may compromise a lot of performance of the twin-scrolled turbos. Like you nicely put, there is no huge difference in maintenance anyways. If I can get a well maintained car and continue to do PM then it should be bearable.

N55 has ticked all the boxes now in that respect. I think 300hp plus a little extra with upgraded air intake & exhaust will be more than enough for me. Like you said again, the maintenance and reliability is our luck getting a good used car and also how we carry out PM during our time with the car.

At last decided!! N55 it is!! I cant wait to get my hands on one and test drive. Looking forward for that "teh Tarik" session with you bro. I will have a very resourceful 535i buddy to start with.
Once again thank a lot bro Gen!
:):):):):)

Congrats (an earlier one tho...) on ur decision bro..... well guess u already have plans for the car. Im on K&N filter, engine revs smoother. its like a relieved n cleared blocked nose...... butt dyno says it added a few ponies.... exhaust? come.... lets go down that road..... come ... come....

All the best again in ur quest bro!

Congrats (an earlier one tho...) on ur decision bro..... well guess u already have plans for the car. Im on K&N filter, engine revs smoother. its like a relieved n cleared blocked nose...... butt dyno says it added a few ponies.... exhaust? come.... lets go down that road..... come ... come....

All the best again in ur quest bro!

HI Bro Gen!

I almost home now. Flying back this weekend. FYI, that UK spec car is actually an SE version and not the M Sport which I would have liked a lot more. He advertised as MS but it is not when I checked it. He just upgraded the bodykit and interior trims plus MS steering wheels.

The main concern here is that the car does not have these code in its VIN:
S223A - Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S229A - Dynamic Drive
S2VAA - Chassis & Suspension setup "Adaptive Drive"

Does this mean it is riding on standard BMW suspension? Does this also mean it wont have the adaptive drive controls like Comfort, Comfort +, Sport, Sport+ and Normal? I am trying to find out what does BMW actually put on UK SE version if they dont have all the above options?

I read that the EDC is highly recommended for a good bmw driving experience. My last F10 528i had EDC as it was M Sport CKD package.
Is it possible to upgrade into the EDC later from BMW? or is the normal damper from BMW with some aftermarket coilovers options will do just fine?
After all this research about this car, this is one thing bugging my mind right now. Would appreciate if you can share your wisdom on this topic. Thanks bro! o_Oo_Oo_O

HI Bro Gen!

I almost home now. Flying back this weekend. FYI, that UK spec car is actually an SE version and not the M Sport which I would have liked a lot more. He advertised as MS but it is not when I checked it. He just upgraded the bodykit and interior trims plus MS steering wheels.

The main concern here is that the car does not have these code in its VIN:
S223A - Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S229A - Dynamic Drive
S2VAA - Chassis & Suspension setup "Adaptive Drive"

Does this mean it is riding on standard BMW suspension? Does this also mean it wont have the adaptive drive controls like Comfort, Comfort +, Sport, Sport+ and Normal? I am trying to find out what does BMW actually put on UK SE version if they dont have all the above options?

I read that the EDC is highly recommended for a good bmw driving experience. My last F10 528i had EDC as it was M Sport CKD package.
Is it possible to upgrade into the EDC later from BMW? or is the normal damper from BMW with some aftermarket coilovers options will do just fine?
After all this research about this car, this is one thing bugging my mind right now. Would appreciate if you can share your wisdom on this topic. Thanks bro! o_Oo_Oo_O

Welcome back bro! ahhh...... yes, most of these UK spec car are the SE variant. And very true that upon arriving our shores, the car importer/dealer wld quickly change to Msport kits, most of the time leaving the interior as is. sighhh...... one in a while a genuine unit wld pop up.

Yes u are correct. its on standard BMW sussy. basic. Well in the UK/Europe/US, the buyer can spec out the car to their fancy. means, each tick of the box wld add to the total price of the car. they can choose any option they want or not, including having EDC or basic sussy. Not like here, where we are at the mercy of BMW Malaysia, having chosen every spec for the Malaysian market.

having EDC means more electronic components, i.e. more part, i.e. more additional cost to maintain (if shit happens). Some like it mechanical, but there are those who loves driving technologies. some even rely on it. its a matter of preference. I do love the EDC, but with a bit of tweak.... hehehe

Retrofitting EDC? i dont think u would want to go down that route, as its a very messy conversion as it involves wiring, control modules, coding, and not to forget the suspensions itself (last checked all 4 adaptive sussy is approx RM10k-12k total, excluding labor n other cost). Strongly suggest u find a unit that already has it installed. So far, ur the only guy i know who wants to go to EDC, whereas most of the guys i know are reverting to aftermarket in place of their EDC. Aftermarket? yup, some on Bilstein B12, Titan, KW v3 etc..... Some renowned makers like Bilstein also offer EDC-type suspension, but its a separate system on its own, n does not interface to the BMW iDrive (if u dont already hv EDC). For me, i used to run Bilstein B12 in my e46, n it was superb! (personal preference ya, n also the wife approves.... hahahaha).

Welcome back bro! ahhh...... yes, most of these UK spec car are the SE variant. And very true that upon arriving our shores, the car importer/dealer wld quickly change to Msport kits, most of the time leaving the interior as is. sighhh...... one in a while a genuine unit wld pop up.

Yes u are correct. its on standard BMW sussy. basic. Well in the UK/Europe/US, the buyer can spec out the car to their fancy. means, each tick of the box wld add to the total price of the car. they can choose any option they want or not, including having EDC or basic sussy. Not like here, where we are at the mercy of BMW Malaysia, having chosen every spec for the Malaysian market.

having EDC means more electronic components, i.e. more part, i.e. more additional cost to maintain (if shit happens). Some like it mechanical, but there are those who loves driving technologies. some even rely on it. its a matter of preference. I do love the EDC, but with a bit of tweak.... hehehe

Retrofitting EDC? i dont think u would want to go down that route, as its a very messy conversion as it involves wiring, control modules, coding, and not to forget the suspensions itself (last checked all 4 adaptive sussy is approx RM10k-12k total, excluding labor n other cost). Strongly suggest u find a unit that already has it installed. So far, ur the only guy i know who wants to go to EDC, whereas most of the guys i know are reverting to aftermarket in place of their EDC. Aftermarket? yup, some on Bilstein B12, Titan, KW v3 etc..... Some renowned makers like Bilstein also offer EDC-type suspension, but its a separate system on its own, n does not interface to the BMW iDrive (if u dont already hv EDC). For me, i used to run Bilstein B12 in my e46, n it was superb! (personal preference ya, n also the wife approves.... hahahaha).

Hi Bro Gen! Thanks for the feedback bro. After some brainstorming and browsing more online chats regarding the BMW sussy, I have take a decision to not overly rely on the EDC now. Like you said, car this age may cost me a lot more to maintain the EDC which could fail after 100k KM depending on how the car has been driven in the past. And to be honest after a couple of months of hunting, I simply cannot find any UK spec with EDC and it is hard to come by. Plus I am also thinking it is going to be mostly highway drive, the stiffness of the suspension can be tuned with an appropriate upgraded passive dampers and coil overs later on if I don't like the standard BMW sussy. I really don't know until I take this car for a spin.

I know the bmw different driving mode without EDC still controls the steering feel, transmission shift rate and throttle/rev response. So that should be ok I think for now. I have decided now that EDC should not be the deal breaker here until I test drive the car.

Thanks again bro for your advice! I am counting days now to test drive that car and hopefully can seal the deal. Wish me luck bro!!
:):):)

i searched for the right one for 2 years.......... to hv all the right box ticked....... all the best bro! take ur time n enjoy the journey.....

i searched for the right one for 2 years.......... to hv all the right box ticked....... all the best bro! take ur time n enjoy the journey.....
Hi bro Gen! I finally got the chance to test drive the 535i UK spec. Waaahhh blew me away! so powerful and smooth :) But then after I take to my mechanic to check, found some oil leaks between the GB /flywheel/ engine mounts underneath. Also my mechanic confirm the car engine has been recently overhauled (a few months ago). Then the seller said he did do some engine servicing and to change the piston rings but his mechanic knows more. After asking his mechanic, he confirmed that the engine undergone full overhaul a few months with some internal wear/tear parts replaced. So the car should be good for another 100k miles. Hmmm I wonder why he did not share this info earlier! Suspension is just standard but he used M sport coils which is not working that great together. Also sussy coil mounting plate issues. Car had no accidents. Apart from that some minor electrical and GPS non-synch error codes. My mechanic trying to work out the costing for the sussy replacement and etc and also want to check the oil leak further. Tomorrow going to meet the seller again to discuss. Do you have any experience with ezcare warranty? I am thinking of taking this warranty for 2-3 yrs for peace of mind but I am not sure how good is their services and efficiency when you actually make a claim. Plus they only been around for 5 years now. So I am a bit skeptical about it.

So all in all it is still not 100% confirmed purchase as yet. If the seller willing to drop the price to compensate then it might be a good deal. The interior is good and there are room for some improvements with detailing.

Will keep you posted with outcome. I think I should be able to finalize this car if all goes well within next week. Just hope nothing major with this engine overhaul & oil leak issue. Got me a bit more concerned now!

o_Oo_Oo_O

That's great news bro! Different feeling rite?

The flywheel oil seal leak is pretty common in BMWs, not only the 535i. Almost all that i knew who owns the roundel will face this issue sooner or later, so its not a biggie. Over time, the seals hardens (all over the engine bay mind u......), and leak wld ensue. Labor intensive job, albeit the relatively 'cheap' replacement part. Guess, the seller just want to see how genuine a buyer u are, and then only he'd share these important info with u bro. Since we're on that note, managed to get copies of the car's maintenance records? easier for u to see what needs to be done next. Yes i do agree. Overhaul means the engine is on newer parts, most wear n tear items replaced. peace of mind for another 100k of sheer driving pleasure. non-Msport sussy might set u back approx RM4-5k excluding labor, or lesser.

I didnt use ezcare. Instead, i subscribed to WarrantySmart for 2 years, paid approx RM3.8k for the tenure. Claims need to be done at their authorised workshops. Honestly, i had a pleasant experience with them. Managed to claim my ECU on my 2nd year in. Was told that electrical current back-flowed into the ECU, frying it. With any warranty service, they will take time to investigate each case. Mine was settled in 6weeks, from claiming to approval to a few fittings/testings until finally resolved. Here's what i have learnt with these warranty companies, they will attempt to repair it first. If failed, they then replace it with a used part. If it still fails, reconditioned part will be used. And if it is still stubbornly fail, only then will they replace it with a brand new part. Need to be patient. in the end, i got a brand new RM8k worth of ECU. if u ask me, it was well worth it!

All the best bro!

Hi BroGen & others following this topic,

Just to share here, I am a proud owner of a 2011 F10 535i SE UK spec and thoroughly enjoying the experience so far. It was well worth the wait and hunting for months and finally I am convinced I got the best deal out there. The car comes fully loaded with comfort access, all-round soft close doors, 4-zone climate controls, sunroof and many upgraded parts. One of the highlights were the the Armytrix exhaust system. It is simply an awesome experience on highway blasts. Really love this car and hoping to maintain it well for years to come. Hope we can arrange some time to meetup when I am in town next. Will contact you on WhatsApp. Once again, thanks for all the valuable advice and pointers during my search for this gentle beast! ;):D

Hi Bro Gen,

Just bought 535i 2011, it is such a beast. I have questions if you mind to share. I plan to upgrade to valvetronic exhaust, is that advisable? Would it make the system mass, like engine n stuff?

And how about remappng the ecu to increase the hp and tork. Is that okay?

Hi Bro Gen,

Just bought 535i 2011, it is such a beast. I have questions if you mind to share. I plan to upgrade to valvetronic exhaust, is that advisable? Would it make the system mass, like engine n stuff?

And how about remappng the ecu to increase the hp and tork. Is that okay?
Congrats bro!! She'll surely put a smile on ur face each time u floor it. First thing first, suggest u to change all oil n fluid. just in case :)

Valvetronic exhaust is purely up to u bro. Yes it does bring the garang sound at a push of a button, making ur ride more pronounced. I dont see why not. Pretty safe mod. Lost of ppl have done it. Dont think it wld add any horses tho. If u live in a condo complex, the valvetronic surely helps not to wake up the neighbors in the morning hehehe.....

Remapping depends on how aggressive u want it to be. Suggest u go for a map that is within tolerance, so u wont be getting those pesky check-engine-light (CEL) warning. A 'safe' mapping would get u up to 20% more HP, with a max of 30% torque. ur ride is already a 300hp/400 torque car. If u want to go much more aggressive, hardware also needs to be changed/upgraded (DP, intercooler, intake, recommended to change brakes, etc.). Have to put more into maintenance.

If i were u, i'd remap first, then only exhaust... hehehe

Top Bottom