My E60 stalled...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ck318ci

Club Guest
Ok.. I have a stock standard E60 523I which is maintained solely by PML Sg.Over my 10 months usage,The car has broken down twiceFirst was the radiator leak leading to overheating. Car was towed back to BMW and the bill came up to 2k plus SGD.Then, found a big puddle of oil 2 months after that ( To be fair, BMW noticed a "small" leak then and wanted another 2k to rectifyI sent the car to a BMW garage and got it all sorted, Changed all the O ring. Clean out the cylinder head, Changed Gasket etc etc FOR 800 PLUS inclusive of another oil change.Car has been behaving quite well all these while until..Came back Monday from oversea after leaving the car 3 days in the basement carpark. Car started well and did a 40 km round trip to a friend's house. 30 mins later, I could crank up the car!Called up the AA and they said the battery was fine, it was the starter motor that got jammed. Bro and sis, have you guys encountered anything at such?Solutions? this car has serve me well for the past 10k km but with all these hiccups, is making me thinking hard to replace her.ck

ck318ci;648094 said:
Ok.. I have a stock standard E60 523I which is maintained solely by PML Sg.

Over my 10 months usage,

The car has broken down twice
First was the radiator leak leading to overheating. Car was towed back to BMW and the bill came up to 2k plus SGD.

Then, found a big puddle of oil 2 months after that ( To be fair, BMW noticed a "small" leak then and wanted another 2k to rectify

I sent the car to a BMW garage and got it all sorted, Changed all the O ring. Clean out the cylinder head, Changed Gasket etc etc FOR 800 PLUS inclusive of another oil change.

Car has been behaving quite well all these while until..

Came back Monday from oversea after leaving the car 3 days in the basement carpark. Car started well and did a 40 km round trip to a friend's house. 30 mins later, I could crank up the car!

Called up the AA and they said the battery was fine, it was the starter motor that got jammed.

Bro and sis, have you guys encountered anything at such?
Solutions?

this car has serve me well for the past 10k km but with all these hiccups, is making me thinking hard to replace her.

ck

I feel your woes bro .... those wear n tear things are sometimes a real pain in the "rear". We hv to accept and deal with it as and when required ... but other than the actual "wear n tear" thingy, your ride should pose no issue bro. What year model are you driving?

Got the car towed to a BMW workshop to fix the starter motor. Works great for one day
Day 2. Drove to work as usual ( 10 mins drive) Car started to jerk violently on waiting for the traffic light then stalled! Started the car and it drives normally
This happened again on the journey back home from work....
Second time in a day!
this occurs for the next two days and is getting worst and worst. Before the car stalls, The idle was erratic, Up and down.
Took the car back to the same workshop, thought it could be a throttle body, o2 sensor...

Check with diagnostic machine, the culprit lies in the Crankshaft sensor.
I have traded in my car for a brand new F10. Delivery was said to be 8 weeks but now the car cant be driven

Any bros have this problem before? I dont want to be an expensive fix as I will be collecting my new car in near future.

This by far has been the most problematic cars I have owned....

ck

ck318ci;650529 said:
Got the car towed to a BMW workshop to fix the starter motor. Works great for one day
Day 2. Drove to work as usual ( 10 mins drive) Car started to jerk violently on waiting for the traffic light then stalled! Started the car and it drives normally
This happened again on the journey back home from work....
Second time ..........."....
This by far has been the most problematic cars I have owned....

Roll of the dice bro. Happens to people sometimes. However, there so many E60 on the road these days with different sets of problems. Either there are not many that had posted their complaints or yours being the first few of its kind with that "stalled engine" issue. Pm me if your problem persist.

Cheers.

my car.. more headache..
Told was the crankshaft sensor and gonna cost me about 400 SGD to fix. So I waited for 2 days as the garage didnt have stock.
At the end, I couldnt take it and sent it to my regular BM garage where I have serviced the car. The guy did the diagnostic test and told me the same. Said needs replacing. Left the car there for a day and got a call and said it was fix. So happily I went and the car stalled just outside his garage. After paying 80 SGD( happy for a while and thought was a cheap fix compared to 400 quoted).
The car need not be towed for the third time as it was just the junction outside the workshop. So had it driven back and left it there for a week. He worked on a few things and called me said this and that need to be fixed if not cannot be driven.
So, I told him fix what required and cut the cost to minimum as my car is already sold.

Bill came a week later was a whopping 4k! Sing dollars
I will itemised the parts here later for bro to verified

I feel disgusted and felt i was the kambing being chopped, in the mercy of this garage. I hope what needs to be sorted are sorted out.
Dont really have the confidence in the E60 and I am now taking MRT to work. The car is only used for short journey to run errants.
Ocassionally feel the car might have minor jerks ( or maybe I am too sensitive) if stuck in a jam for some time.

All in... the E60 experience has turned from good to sour....

Waiting for the F10 to arrive...

Bro CK, how old is the car? I mean, what's the manufacturing date?

Oct 2005. I am the second owner
81k km when purchased. Currently 90k
Had history check with Performance motors. Full service with them.

CK,

If the car is stalled and cannot crank at all. This is worth a try, unplug the wire harness to the engine oil level sensor, start the car. If it can start, change the oil level sensor.

IanDaddy;658178 said:
CK,

If the car is stalled and cannot crank at all. This is worth a try, unplug the wire harness to the engine oil level sensor, start the car. If it can start, change the oil level sensor.

The car start and run ok now. Is just aint too confidence in taking the car to long journey work.
Stalling > 10 times and tolled to garages 3 times in a week is a tough pill to swallow.

ck318ci;658156 said:
my car.. more headache..
Told was the crankshaft sensor and gonna cost me about 400 SGD to fix. So I waited for 2 days as the garage didnt have stock.
At the end, I couldnt take it and sent it to my regular BM garage where I have serviced the car. The guy did the diagnostic test and told me the same. Said needs replacing. Left the car there for a day and got a call and said it was fix. So happily I went and the car stalled just outside his garage. After paying 80 SGD( happy for a while and thought was a cheap fix compared to 400 quoted).
The car need not be towed for the third time as it was just the junction outside the workshop. So had it driven back and left it there for a week. He worked on a few things and called me said this and that need to be fixed if not cannot be driven.
So, I told him fix what required and cut the cost to minimum as my car is already sold.

Bill came a week later was a whopping 4k! Sing dollars
I will itemised the parts here later for bro to verified

I feel disgusted and felt i was the kambing being chopped, in the mercy of this garage. I hope what needs to be sorted are sorted out.
Dont really have the confidence in the E60 and I am now taking MRT to work. The car is only used for short journey to run errants.
Ocassionally feel the car might have minor jerks ( or maybe I am too sensitive) if stuck in a jam for some time.

All in... the E60 experience has turned from good to sour....

Waiting for the F10 to arrive...

Greetings bro, your predicament seems never ending and I sincerely do feel for you. Frankly and honestly, when we knw so little abt parts, engine or wht not, YES, we can easily be the goat on a chopping block :(:(:(...

From a stalled engine to sensor problem, the amount you paid for a minor glitch is indeed unacceptable. My e60 has been with me for abt 5 yrs now and I hv "tortured" the car to the max. It has clocked 298K and it had stalled once but cost me only abt 2 hrs of waiting and NOTHING more. It wud not start due to indication on the display showed that my transmission was in a locked mode! I managed to get it started awhile later and hold on to the pedal for abt 30sec to do a manual reset of the ECU. That happened to me abt a cpl of mths ago and till this day, not a single issue with the car.

I had suspected the ECU Had gone crazy for awhile due to condensation developed during a very heavy downpour the very same day. Lesson learnt is that during any down-pour, avoid driving to puddles at high speed and never leave the car stationary in the rain for a long period of time.!

My honest opinion bro, when buying something that is costly, try to get as much info or knowledge abt it. It really pays to learn and understand the dynamics, the electronics, the function of the car as much as we can....as for me personally, if anything happens to my car, I will take the trouble and effort to be by "her" side before any Dick, Tom or Harry does anything to it.....

The UDMs are all good cars but if we take to understand and learn of it's mechanics (and Electronics), it will definitely be one Passion worth investing/spending.... :top:

good advice bro..

We have gone through about 8 BMWs in the household from the E36 era.
All UDMs like you said are great. But as the car get more complicated in terms of computer software, it is much more difficult to learn about the complexity of these machines.

I am sure a lot of E60s are robust, reliable car but perhaps I bought myself a lemon...

The F10 is going to be brand new and this will be by far the most complex BMW I have owned. Will take up your adivce and try to learn as much as i can about this new beast.

ck318ci;658318 said:
The car start and run ok now. Is just aint too confidence in taking the car to long journey work.
Stalling > 10 times and tolled to garages 3 times in a week is a tough pill to swallow.

Hi bro, i can feel your pain. Thank God you never lose faith in BMW, let's hope ur F10 will be wonderful!

ck318ci;658372 said:
good advice bro..

We have gone through about 8 BMWs in the household from the E36 era.
All UDMs like you said are great. But as the car get more complicated in terms of computer software, it is much more difficult to learn about the complexity of these machines.

I am sure a lot of E60s are robust, reliable car but perhaps I bought myself a lemon...

The F10 is going to be brand new and this will be by far the most complex BMW I have owned. Will take up your adivce and try to learn as much as i can about this new beast.

Don't let past experience hamper your spirit. All the best for the F10!

Top Bottom