My 1981 E23 735i 5-speed MANUAL! 1 owner since new!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Eggie86;668013 said:
That's a very nice collection of classics your family got there. Haha, E23, W123, W116s... What else hidden gems are there? :biggrin:

Thanks bro. We have quite a few hehe.

But this is a BMW forum so ill talk BMW haha.

Dad used to "kau looi" my mom in 1972 with an E10 2002ti. Then once they got married, bought a white 1977 E23 730 (carb - not 730i) 4speed manual. Used to send me to kindy with that car and people were wondering what BMW is that!

Then in 1981 the 735i came out, so bought ANOTHER E23 (the pictures u see here). The 730 was with the family till sometime in 2006, Dad sold it to a Chinaman in Kuantan. He went mabok one CNY eve and bang a COW head-on on the Kuantan Coastal road... the car was totaled (but he survived) hehe. The latest plate was ABY 9181 when sold. Original plate was "much nicer" hihihii.

So now only left with ONE beemer with the family, albeit a non runner :(

Cheers

Syed

Wow, your dad sure loves his continental rides!

Haha. No worries, many of us here own other marques too, and it's always a great feeling to come across another fellow enthusiast who shares the same passion for older marques, and not always confined to Bimmers only. Mercs, Porsches, Jags, etc, they're all great cars during their time, and many still elicit cool stares from others even today. :top:

Again, no worries nursing back the E23 back to health bro. Slow and steady, and I believe you'll tackle this restoration meticulously, and by the end of it all, you can bask in the knowledge that you have played a part in restoring such a wonderful classic.

PS: No Jags ah in your garage... :biggrin:

Eggie86;668080 said:
PS: No Jags ah in your garage... :biggrin:

No Jag, but I do have this...

P1030650.jpg

P1030612.jpg

P1030590.jpg

P1030655.jpg

P1030694.jpg

P1030710.jpg

1966 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible... Factory RHD with 3speed auto column shift ... 1 owner too (My mom) now shes MINE :)

Wow, what an awesome classic! She looks to be in such great shape! :top:

Eggie86;668144 said:
Wow, what an awesome classic! She looks to be in such great shape! :top:

Thanks Eggie. Enjoy my other cars at "Other Makes" section. Comments pls! :)

What's up with the racist 'Chinaman' term??

MalayCooper;668018 said:
Thanks bro. We have quite a few hehe.

But this is a BMW forum so ill talk BMW haha.

Dad used to "kau looi" my mom in 1972 with an E10 2002ti. Then once they got married, bought a white 1977 E23 730 (carb - not 730i) 4speed manual. Used to send me to kindy with that car and people were wondering what BMW is that!

Then in 1981 the 735i came out, so bought ANOTHER E23 (the pictures u see here). The 730 was with the family till sometime in 2006, Dad sold it to a Chinaman in Kuantan. He went mabok one CNY eve and bang a COW head-on on the Kuantan Coastal road... the car was totaled (but he survived) hehe. The latest plate was ABY 9181 when sold. Original plate was "much nicer" hihihii.

So now only left with ONE beemer with the family, albeit a non runner :(

Cheers

Syed

Whats wrong with Chinaman? Seen even Chinese use that term.

I sincerely don't know so please enlighten me.

haywire;671301 said:
Whats wrong with Chinaman? Seen even Chinese use that term.

I sincerely don't know so please enlighten me.

It's the context of the term that has been used ever so loosely. A black man will call another black man 'nigger' but no one will take it as an insult. But try having a white or a non-black man calling a black man that term. See what happens. For a Chinese to call another Chinese a 'Chinaman', well what can I say but shame of him/her for not knowing the historical implications and abuse created by colonist west.

The term 'Chinaman' was historically used by the westerners to degrade and 'de-human' Chinese migrants settling in US hundreds of years ago. By thinking the term has become a common term over the years does not make it 'OK' to be used.

Thing is I never heard it from other people except from Chinese themselves. Perhaps they're to blame themselves to spreading its use?

Thats food for thought although personally I dont see the issue here.

Anyway Syed nice car and interesting history of the family BMWs.

Bro, no more pics to share for the E23? Hehe. Eagerly awaiting pics of the restoration process. :top:

Eggie86;671336 said:
Bro, no more pics to share for the E23? Hehe. Eagerly awaiting pics of the restoration process. :top:

So early on the forum ah bro?? Respect la

pardypeople;671342 said:
Knew that was coming..Was finishing my night shift and was off peak.. :p

Ahh I see... Hope you'll get a good rest bro. Haha. Looking forward to more updates on your thread too. :top:

cloudbuster;671312 said:
It's the context of the term that has been used ever so loosely. A black man will call another black man 'nigger' but no one will take it as an insult. But try having a white or a non-black man calling a black man that term. See what happens. For a Chinese to call another Chinese a 'Chinaman', well what can I say but shame of him/her for not knowing the historical implications and abuse created by colonist west.

The term 'Chinaman' was historically used by the westerners to degrade and 'de-human' Chinese migrants settling in US hundreds of years ago. By thinking the term has become a common term over the years does not make it 'OK' to be used.

In my humble opinion, the term "Chinaman" does not necessary mean any insult. It just kind of referring to one with old tranditional china behavior. I think most of you would have heard many term as "chinaman company". It means the way that the company is run follows the old style china manner.

Just my personal opinion. Btw, I am chinese too.

morrogan;671727 said:
In my humble opinion, the term "Chinaman" does not necessary mean any insult. It just kind of referring to one with old tranditional china behavior. I think most of you would have heard many term as "chinaman company". It means the way that the company is run follows the old style china manner.

Just my personal opinion. Btw, I am chinese too.

Or refer to as a "rich chinese man withs lots of cash" by my late father.

But, old worded saying should not be said now, as cloudbuster said, let move forward being one without race and religon involved.

Impressive collection of rare classics. The 735i deserve a wooden gear knob IMHO and would fit in well with the interior. Enjoy the rides.

Top Bottom