Mass airflow sensor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gwumpkus

Club Guest
has anyone tried using the Mass airflow sensor from the E36 320i M50 engine, in the 318i M40 engine before?i've been told its a possible solution to the problematic airflow metre used in the stock M40 engine... any fancy electronis to re-calibrate etc?any advice, gurus?..:)cheers!michael

yes, but you need a piggyback ECU to decipher the readings to the onboard ECU...its not plug and play..read Fabians earlier post..

thanx ... erm...keen to learn more..can direct to Fabian's post pls?..cheers!

michael

Originally posted by Zoggee@Aug 29 2005, 02:03 PM
B) hmmm.... B)
Thot you did the same same to ur yellow submarine? :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

the signal from MAF is of a different range of voltage compared to the AFM.. therefore, u need some form of device to 'shift' the range upward so that the ECU can recognise the voltage range.
u can either use the piggyback ECU like SMT6 or UNIchip to do the signal mapping or the Splitsecond system from US.

Anyway, will come up with something for us AFM users here.. ;)

Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 29 2005, 11:55 PM
the signal from MAF is of a different range of voltage compared to the AFM.. therefore, u need some form of device to 'shift' the range upward so that the ECU can recognise the voltage range.
u can either use the piggyback ECU like SMT6 or UNIchip to do the signal mapping or the Splitsecond system from US.

Anyway, will come up with something for us AFM users here.. ;)
hahh...yo Fabs...u da man!!!...hahhah...:p..thanx mate!!

Proper service of the AFM unit will bring back to 90% of the original condition.
MAF if the hot wire type consist of a special ECU instruction to burn the wire to 1000 deg C for 1 second after 4 seconds of engine off.

Originally posted by cchsbn@Sep 6 2005, 03:53 PM
Proper service of the AFM unit will bring back to 90% of the original condition.
MAF if the hot wire type consist of a special ECU instruction to burn the wire to 1000 deg C for 1 second after 4 seconds of engine off.
what kinda risk does that translate into, if any?..:p

cheers!

Where is the mass airflow sensor located in the diagram? My 318i is having problems starting after being idle for an hour or so, but runs normally otherwise. Also, there is slight amounts of black smoke visible from initial start, but dissipates eventually. Can the mass airflow sensor be faulty causing this symptom?? Can it be repaired, or must the whole unit be changed?? Appreciate your comments

Cheers

Top Bottom