Malaysia's auto king dies

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Don Franco

Club Guest
Naza Group founder and chairperson SM Nasimuddin SM Amin died this morning at 1.15am (local time) while undergoing cancer treatment in the United States. He was 53. Nasimuddin S.M AminKnown for keeping a low profile, Nasimuddin passed away with his wife, Zaleha Ismail and children by his side.He had been undergoing lung cancer treatment at a private hospital in Long Beach since January, Malaysian counsel Ahmad Asmawi told Bernama in a phone conversation from Los Angeles. n the mid 70's, the businessman started establishing his name by applying for government-issued Approved Permits (AP) to import cars for bumiputras.Getting married at such a young age made him keen to venture into his own business. Since he was in school, he saved every sen he received from his parents and from what he earned helping his father in his construction business and later from his job as a clerk.“My family was not rich. I saved every little sum of money I earned as well as whatever my parents gave me and I ended up with RM80,000 in savings,” he said in an interview with the Star at Naza World last year.Always being interested in cars he said what he father did was a total opposite from what he loved. “My father’s construction business was not my cup of tea,” the Negeri Sembilan born businessman said.Naza Group currently holds the nation franchise for South Korea's Kia vehicles, and France's Peugeot vehicles. It also holds the import permits for Mercedes Benz and Mazda vehicles.

my deepest condolences to the family and to a man that rose from nothing till someone today..

Is this the guy who abused the AP licensing? And isn't he the guy who somehow managed to get a re-badged KIA MPV recognised as a national car when technically it shouldn't even be at all?

My deepest condolences to the grieving family.

Al-Fatihah!

Semoga ALLAH s.w.t memcucuri rahmat ke atas roh beliau.... Amin!

This was a great man that rose to the pinnacle of the automotive Industry in this country!

Well, all's not so well...unfortunately 'rags to riches' icons in M'sia are more for people with 'who you know' rather than 'what you know'...if this is being investigated by the British authorities, so what's the M'sian authorities doing about the thousands of under declared Naza imported cars!

UK probe into dead tycoon's business practices

Posted by Super Admin Saturday, 03 May 2008 His operation allegedly exported cars to Malaysia using forged British papers
By Leslie Lopez, THE STRAITS TIMES
Kingdom were alerted to a luxury auto distribution operation involving Malaysia's auto czar Tan Sri Nasimuddin Amin which was allegedly exporting cars to Malaysia using forged British vehicle-registration documents. Now lawyers and auto executives wonder whether the probe will be abandoned following Tan Sri Nasimuddin's death in the US yesterday of cancer.
Sources close to the situation told The Straits Times that the investigation is in its initial stages and stems from a business disagreement between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and his one-time British business partner, Mr Nigel Peter Albon.
According to the lawyers and auto executives, the dispute is over funds Tan Sri Nasimuddin allegedly owed Mr Albon.
In the course of the legal wrangling, the mechanics of Tan Sri Nasimuddin's export operations surfaced.
The Malaysian tycoon was a major recipient of so-called Approved Permits (AP), which are essentially licences to import foreign cars into Malaysia. These APs are granted to a select group of government agencies and ethnic Malay businessmen like Tan Sri Nasimuddin.
Foreign auto industry executives have long argued for the scrapping of the controversial AP system citing concerns that the import licensing system is not well supervised, resulting in the loss of millions of ringgit in foregone tax revenues.
Auto industry executives say that in some instances new cars purchased overseas are passed off at the Customs entry point in Malaysia as second-hand vehicles using forged documents which predate the year of manufacture.
'By backdating the year of manufacture, the importer pays less tax to the government,' says a senior car industry executive familiar with the dispute between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and Mr Albon.
Executives from Tan Sri Nasimuddin's Naza Group were not available for immediate comment.
Disputes between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and his business partners are not new.
Last year, he was embroiled in a fight with his Singapore partners over the distribution of Ferrari models in Malaysia.
Businessman Alfred Tan Chor How and his son, Edward, left Malaysia abruptly last year after they fell out with him over disagreements on how to run their car import business.
The elder Mr Tan is the patriarch of Singapore's Hong Seh Group, a marine equipment supplier which diversified into the distribution of luxury cars in the early 1980s.
The company has been the sole agent for the distribution of Ferraris in Singapore since 1982 and added the Maserati and Bentley franchise to its list in the early 1990s.
The Tans struck a partnership with Tan Sri Nasimuddin in 1996 through a joint-venture company called Next Car Sdn Bhd.

okow;320259 said:
Well, all's not so well...unfortunately 'rags to riches' icons in M'sia are more for people with 'who you know' rather than 'what you know'...if this is being investigated by the British authorities, so what's the M'sian authorities doing about the thousands of under declared Naza imported cars!

UK probe into dead tycoon's business practices

Posted by Super Admin Saturday, 03 May 2008 His operation allegedly exported cars to Malaysia using forged British papers
By Leslie Lopez, THE STRAITS TIMES
Kingdom were alerted to a luxury auto distribution operation involving Malaysia's auto czar Tan Sri Nasimuddin Amin which was allegedly exporting cars to Malaysia using forged British vehicle-registration documents. Now lawyers and auto executives wonder whether the probe will be abandoned following Tan Sri Nasimuddin's death in the US yesterday of cancer.
Sources close to the situation told The Straits Times that the investigation is in its initial stages and stems from a business disagreement between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and his one-time British business partner, Mr Nigel Peter Albon.
According to the lawyers and auto executives, the dispute is over funds Tan Sri Nasimuddin allegedly owed Mr Albon.
In the course of the legal wrangling, the mechanics of Tan Sri Nasimuddin's export operations surfaced.
The Malaysian tycoon was a major recipient of so-called Approved Permits (AP), which are essentially licences to import foreign cars into Malaysia. These APs are granted to a select group of government agencies and ethnic Malay businessmen like Tan Sri Nasimuddin.
Foreign auto industry executives have long argued for the scrapping of the controversial AP system citing concerns that the import licensing system is not well supervised, resulting in the loss of millions of ringgit in foregone tax revenues.
Auto industry executives say that in some instances new cars purchased overseas are passed off at the Customs entry point in Malaysia as second-hand vehicles using forged documents which predate the year of manufacture.
'By backdating the year of manufacture, the importer pays less tax to the government,' says a senior car industry executive familiar with the dispute between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and Mr Albon.
Executives from Tan Sri Nasimuddin's Naza Group were not available for immediate comment.
Disputes between Tan Sri Nasimuddin and his business partners are not new.
Last year, he was embroiled in a fight with his Singapore partners over the distribution of Ferrari models in Malaysia.
Businessman Alfred Tan Chor How and his son, Edward, left Malaysia abruptly last year after they fell out with him over disagreements on how to run their car import business.
The elder Mr Tan is the patriarch of Singapore's Hong Seh Group, a marine equipment supplier which diversified into the distribution of luxury cars in the early 1980s.
The company has been the sole agent for the distribution of Ferraris in Singapore since 1982 and added the Maserati and Bentley franchise to its list in the early 1990s.
The Tans struck a partnership with Tan Sri Nasimuddin in 1996 through a joint-venture company called Next Car Sdn Bhd.

Too bad he's not around to face the charges anymore. Lucky him.

This practise is not uncommon among all auto-dealers with AP licenses. A close friend of mine who worked in a major Mercedes auto-dealer in KL recently told me they under declare the cars as much as 50% of the original value.

For me, this is the man who knew the right people and made it big. That's all...nothing great about him.

loafer;320260 said:
Too bad he's not around to face the charges anymore. Lucky him.

This practise is not uncommon among all auto-dealers with AP licenses. A close friend of mine who worked in a major Mercedes auto-dealer in KL recently told me they under declare the cars as much as 50% of the original value.

For me, this is the man who knew the right people and made it big. That's all...nothing great about him.

For me, this is the man who knew the right people, and knew how to capitalize on them, and was able to execute the plans well, and made it big.. :rock: else, ALL dealers, wud be filthy rich like him already?

not all people are lucky, but not all those lucky few are capable either.. :smokin:

Let the mamn rest in peace-leh! His successors will know how to rectify all his doings like the saying goes....."if money can solve the problem, then that is not even a problem at all".

so we get cheaper cars from Naza during this mourning period? he he

My condolences all the same to his immediate family.

Al - Fatihah. Tak baik menceritakan keburukan org yg dah tiada. Tiada yg sempurna diatas muka bumi ini.

well.... wat goes arnd comes arnd too. may he rest in peace n no more con men surface.... .its like hoping for snow in msia!.. hahaha

I think this thread should be closed. Otherwise you invite unwanted comments on a dead man....

Committee?

al fatihah...let the man rest in peace.
There are some good things done by this guy too. It is just not mentioned here.

For those who has a lots of dissatisfied statements to say about the dead man, why don't start another thread bashing about AP, Politics, Corruption, Royal Commission and Malaysia in general. I would be more than happy to add my 50 cents there...

planta

Top Bottom