MAF Conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MeanStreak

Club Guest
Sifus,I intend to do AFM to MAF conversion on my ride. :p Couple of questions:1) Any particular model of MAF that I must go for? 2) What is piggy back? Why is it neccesary?3) How much should it cost?4) Anyone wif related experience you want to share on the pros and cons?Thanks in advance for the feedback. :D

Originally posted by MTek1318@Mar 23 2005, 09:14 AM
Sifus,
I intend to do AFM to MAF conversion on my ride. :p Couple of questions:

1) Any particular model of MAF that I must go for?
2) What is piggy back? Why is it neccesary?
3) How much should it cost?
4) Anyone wif related experience you want to share on the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. :D
you should considered to include the dyno test after the conversion for optimum performance.

I think fabian and albunny also have taken the plunge.

Piggy back is needed to tune your ECU for correct A/F ratio. Tom of ZTH have done that.

Tech chronology..
Carburetor -> AFM -> MAF -> MAP

great..!!! i'll be doing that soon..but for the time being I have to run in my engine first.

I'll be going down state under to Viswork autolab to do it. Going for the Unichip system...interested?? ;)

ya... sounds interesting !

After sitting inside the Tom's car for a ride by kevster , i plan to do that conversion as well.... cannot tahan la...the RPM very light and smooth !!!! *drooling....

how much issit for the full conversion actually ???
can we tune the piggyback control unit by our laptop ? or have to bring it back to the piggyback shop for tuning ???

for UNIChip, need to send back to Viswork for tuning....
SMT6 can tune urself.... Can download software from the website.

1) Any particular model of MAF that I must go for?

In theory, any MAF will do but for appearance's sake, I recommend getting one from any of the M50 engines.?

2) What is piggy back? Why is it neccesary?

A piggy back refferes to an additional ECU that is neccessary to decode and control the signals from the MAF so that your existing ECU can understand the signals.?

3) How much should it cost?

You have to shop around but market price for a used MAF would coast around RM250-RM350, a piggy back ECU anywhere from RM1.8k-RM2.5k.?

4) Anyone wif related experience you want to share on the pros and cons?

Pros: Increased performance >5bhp and drivability
Increased tunability, can reconfigur your fuel mapping and ignition timing.?

Cons: Tendency to drive faster, hence increase in risk and consumption:)!?

Originally posted by KiNaKa@Mar 22 2005, 10:06 PM
ya... sounds interesting !

After sitting inside the Tom's car for a ride by kevster , i plan to do that conversion as well.... cannot tahan la...the RPM very light and smooth !!!! *drooling....

how much issit for the full conversion actually ???
can we tune the piggyback control unit by our laptop ? or have to bring it back to the piggyback shop for tuning ???
if you are running on L jetronics...it might be hard to do the MAF conversion.But you'll have a bit of advantage here..with Ljet,you can advance and retard.!!

IMHO...

SMT6 is good oso...if you are a DIY khakis and likes to twig it urself. AS for me..I'll let the pro do it for me..!! :D

If you buy the portable programmer, then the UNichip can also be program as per when you like it. RM 599 I think! Nowadays, dun need to carry lap top...a good PDA will do it!

As for piggyback ECU, what it does is altering the values/signals from the DME to a different value. Things that will be altered are the AFM mapping and ignition timing as well. But but...for cars with O2 sensor, the effect will take place after 3000 rpm, that is when the O2 sensor readings is "ignored" by the DME.

IMO, this MAF conversion is a great MOD for cars with air flow meter which is restrictive and problematic! :rolleyes: :)

SOunds interesting... If it works on cars with L Jetronic fuel injection I would like to do it too...

Hey BH

Not sure if our L-Jet car's ECU will accept a piggy back chip. As I understand it it has a soldered in eprom.

Would appreciate if someone who knows can enlighten us on this!

Having said that, considering the RM2k+ cost involved, a MAF conversion would be a nice to have, but would be some way down on my to do list...

Any one have the technical write up about the AFM, MAF and piggy back? Would really like to know in detail about the signal conversion that the piggy back does. If the piggy back's sole function is to convert signals, why does cost around RM2k :eek: ?

Becos it's variable and allows you to customize settings, besides that price includes installation and dyno tuning lar.............

Google 'unichip' and 'SMT6' for technical details that you are seeking.

Cheers

Let me u if you want the SMT6, I can install for u too once I'm familiar with my own set.. heheheheh

Its interesting that Tom did an E39 MAF conversion using Unichip.
Tom, must have cost you a fair bit, huh ?.

The gains he has, I am sure he is pleased with it. For the rest of us, this is a pretty serious undertaking, so think carefully before embarking on it.

Last year or year before, I corresponded with Tom about my home built 535 AFM conversion with Apexi SAFC2 piggyback. My aim was to get a bigger intake airflow in preparation for the Rotrex supercharger which I planned to install but changed my mind.

The mod itself is rather useful for me and I have enjoyed it since then. I have asked myself, why install the SC when I only need it for a few mins per trip. Using this Apexi, I can key in values and change air/fuel maps while I am driving or at the stop light. Works well. I even did track for a whole year on it. Never did miss a beat and has sometimes made me push a bit harder on the track!.

You know the feeling, after several hot laps and taking a rest, I used to tell my friend, after this run, I will go home or take it easy. Then my friend would say, "Whoa, so early, why don't you reprogram the Apexi to make it kick harder?". On a couple of occasions, it has made better laps times for me by changing to my known aggressive modes. Fuel consumption will suffer but what the heck, its on the track right ?. And i paid $150 for track fee right ? Might as well go for it. Good thing no incident with my car during the time. I am retired from track now. No fun in this car already, I am consistent within 0.2 sec per lap, so I achieved my objectives.

Been wanting to get an E30M3 but never could find one at the right price. Ended up buying a E34 Touring (stationwagon E34) with manual tranny.
For family use, this one!. No crazy mods on engine or suspension or drive train. Just nice audio and computer on board. More for occupants than driver. These days enjoying more Fun Runs with the BMWclub in Philippines. Still doing small mods occasionally. Can't help it when you got the Mod Bug!.

Top Bottom