M42 wont start.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmer9

Club Guest
Hi guys,I recently got a M42 engine with ECU wiring, gearbox etc to be transplanted into my e30 (M40).Found a guy who does conversions who was willing to do it for a reasonable price.I requested for the engine to be started to see if its running ok before beginning the transplant. My mechanic has wired it up, it cranks but it just wont start. Have checked most of the common stuff, petrol supply, swapped ECU, swapped AFM's. What could it be?Can someone pls give me a guide on how to get this engine running??I have heard these engine's have a ignition code (or something like that). I dont have the ignition/key or anything of that sort. If this is the problem, how do we overcome this?Any input would be appreciated.....CheersJDY9670

it could be due to the EWS??? What's the last 3 digit of BMW part no of the ECU???

Fabian's right. Sounds like a EWS problem. No ignition key is your problem as the immobilizer chip is in the key.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply, havent had the chance to go check the EWS number.

Assuming this is my problem, how do I override this and start the engine.There is no key whatsoever

Any ideas? Thanks

Rgds

google for "EWS delete" together with the ECU number... otherwise, u got to look for another set of harness and ECU from a non EWS M42...
Or standalone ECU...

The M42 comes with gearbox? Manual or Auto?

M42 came with autobox, but I plan to use by m40 box on it.

So you reckon it possible, to get this engine going....wit new harness.

Coz one mechanic practically told me 'campak dalam sungai'. I didnt agree with him coz I dont think importers will be bringing them in from Japan if they cant be started/used rite?

bimmer9;500933 said:
M42 came with autobox, but I plan to use by m40 box on it.

So you reckon it possible, to get this engine going....wit new harness.

Coz one mechanic practically told me 'campak dalam sungai'. I didnt agree with him coz I dont think importers will be bringing them in from Japan if they cant be started/used rite?

the importers sometimes just sapu... If can't start, can still sell as engine kosong... or dismantle and sell separately...

anyway, if this is the case, u can pressure to buy at lower price.. Maybe just slightly more than engine kosong price.. and don't takethe gearbox since u won'tbe using.

bimmer9;501809 said:
hey guys ECU number is 0261203590.

What does this interpret?

Thanks

positively and definitely an EWS equipped ECU.. u'll need the EWS-chipped key, and also the autobox DME plugged in to start the car..

google "0261203590 EWS" and read up....

bimmer9;501814 said:
fabian, pls elaborate on a standalone ECU. How does that work?

standalone ECU like Motec, Haltech, megasquirt replaces the stock ECU... but it'll cost a bit.. ie: the Haltech now cost about RM3-4K and cost upon completion can go above RM5k... but u can tune it anytime....

fabianyee;499944 said:
... otherwise, u got to look for another set of harness and ECU from a non EWS M42...
Or standalone ECU...

QUOTE]
fabianyee;499944 said:
OP, this is the best way to approach the issue u r having. Just get a full wire harness from non-ews m42 and re map the wiring and call it a day.
I'm also having a similar situ with my obd2 s52 , which will go into my e30. I got no key, no ecu from the half cut. So planing to by pass the ews by converting to obd1.

Good luck.

Top Bottom