M42 engine rebuild project review.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

python_dev

Club Guest
Hi All,I'm thinking of doing up a little project and wanted to see any suggestions from the general forum. I am working with an M42 because I want to. to suit my own ego/pleasure/etc. I know there are other ways of doing this (maybe cheaper) with the bigger 6ers.Concept:M42 EngineHiOP or Schrik Performance camsM47 Crank shaft (stroking and strength)High compression pistons (about 13:1 compression, will lower from M47 crank closer to normal)new exaust headers (not sure which yet)remapped chip (Means 95 onwards chip)Ported and polished top overhaul (Maybe solid lifters from the Mini)< forum input here >4-throttle, titanium retainers, racing engine bearings?Going into E36 with current M40 and 5 Speed manual Getrag 260 (keeping my Manual)Any further suggestions accepted accept the normal upgrade to 6cyl as I said, doing this for my entertainment along the S14 lines sort of a concept S15 ;) if BMW made another 4cyl M3.

been reading a lot on M42club forum??? Where are you getting the M47 crank???

ahh getting some good inputs to think about.
M47 I can get from Thailand. (comes in handy speaking Thai :p )

dont forget bout the valve springs, port matching
if you are really interested in what u r planning to build i can get u the schrick cams, ferrea valves, performance valve springs, cp or wiseco pistons, MLS h/g and even performance coated racing bearings.
nice nice! N/A!

I think similar to what gizmo has done in South Africa. The M47 comes from the 2 liter diesel engine. Then do MAF conversion.

To realise high HP gains in N/A engines, you probably need to build something that can rev up to 8 rpm.

I'm not really into turbo charging, but your right about into the 8K rpm mark.
4cyl cars can really high rev when done properly.
needs some good cams, blueprinting and overall tuning. plus they have a nice sound when done properly...
the BMW M42 is a nice solid engine that is under rated and can be tuned to perform alot better, and many people know it..

BMW under tuned them so they wouldn't compete with the 325's.

Top Bottom