Low Mileage

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ezain

Club Guest
Car seller often advertise the car and claim that it is low mileage.Now...what is the defination of 'low mileage'? Is it ranging from 0-20,000km?70,000km?100,000km?Below 5 years? Recently i saw somebody advertise 2nd hand car with 130,000km but still claim low mileage.Obviously, the car is more than 5 years old.Need some advise.Tx

i am not too sure why some ppl say their cars are low mileage...

but my understanding of it is that assuming an average driver does 20,000 km per year, then anything less than that multiplied by the years of ownership would be "low mileage". so, if you are buying a 15 year old car, 100,000km is considered really low mileage.

to some its worth getting a low mileage car... if the warranty is still there... well... it may not matter to some.

i have a low mileage car which i intend to sell but it made no difference oso becoe everyone just want it cheap, low mileage or not... **sigh**

base on average milage at 25000 km /year.just multiply with the no of years.

Originally posted by acs@May 1 2006, 01:12 AM
base on average milage at 25000 km /year.just multiply with the no of years.
bro acs...what if the car is ten years old with milage 250,000km...can it be consider as low milage?

Firstly, ask yourself; is milage really that important? I don't think it really is a factor unless it's really low or really high for that type of vehicle (meaning; a daily driver or sports car or commercial vehicle, say).

I think the condition of the car, full service records and a thorough mechanical inspection are more important.

Originally posted by The Necessary@May 1 2006, 02:02 AM
Firstly, ask yourself; is milage really that important? I don't think it really is a factor unless it's really low or really high for that type of vehicle (meaning; a daily driver or sports car or commercial vehicle, say).

I think the condition of the car, full service records and a thorough mechanical inspection are more important.
100% agreed with you. my cars are all touch 600k km before I sell if I do, but maintenance according to the book is important thats me. when I got my e30 it reads if I am not wrong was 250k at 8 yrs and the owner can tell me that the car just use around KL where I see the windscreen full of sand marks shows that the car often on long distance H/Ways but I don't care much as fell in love and I had use past 7yrs and done all changes and repairs that is normal ware and tear happy about it. Once I had a new car run till 700k not even done any major repair xcept normal service and when I want to sell it, my own mechanic offer to buy and paid cash as he maintain the car he like it. all depands on how you look at it.

Originally posted by The Necessary@May 1 2006, 02:02 AM

agree.....milage can show us how far the car has travelled before....but its useless if the milage was very low....still the car has not been serviced accordingly....the condition of the car was bad.....summore milage can be adjust....its normal for dealer to do this.theres many more things tht you must take into consideration when you want to buy a car.for me LOW MILAGE is just.......a small advantge

wat u guys mention was very true...low mileage is just a small advantage...there are many other things shud be consider....have to start filing all the service job sheet for the future purpose...hehe

Originally posted by ezain@May 1 2006, 12:41 PM
wat u guys mention was very true...low mileage is just a small advantage...there are many other things shud be consider....have to start filing all the service job sheet for the future purpose...hehe
thts what i've done......

In my opinion, I totally agree that the milage on the meter can be adjusted. I have heard of these before. those are for the Jap cars.
But for conti can be done?

Anyway the most important is the condition of the car that counts. If the car has low milage but neglected, then what's the point

I personally view one E46 318i year 2001 two months back. advertise in Star for low mileage only 40,000+KM. tipu one, the car interior look like a warzone, rubber lining along the door got hole someore melted, the seat all scratches, the two steel bar holding the seat where u can push and adjust front and back also rusted as if it kena salt water. dashboard also alot of scratches. 40,000+KM car so teruk? I didnt comment on anything to the dealer, i just say thanks and bye bye

low mileage is just to indicate the the car was not being used much, 3 years for 30K is consider low mileage , 3 year 70k is normal, this is how used car dealer value the car. this is why they used to adjust the meter to value it higher....

Originally posted by tkew@Jun 19 2006, 10:22 AM
low mileage is just to indicate the the car was not being used much, 3 years for 30K is consider low mileage , 3 year 70k is normal, this is how used car dealer value the car. this is why they used to adjust the meter to value it higher....
true la...low mileage with inconsistent service also no use...future buyer shud look the car service files of previous owner...baru confident mau beli maa..

when my wife's kancil was sold, it had 25k kms on it..had for 3 years +, the buyer offered me a higher price for it..

low milage is good for buyers..

now the kelisa is 4 years old and milage is 33k kms... still using original air filter, spark plugs...

really, how important is "low mileage" when u can change an odometer and get a new mileage reading?

id rather buy a higher mileage enthusiast-owned car than a low mileage car with a clueless owner.

redd

Cars with too low mileage are not necessarily good. An elderly family friend's very low mileage pampered 1981 Mazda 323 1.5 (FWD) - which spent most of its life doing short and gentle urban commutes - promptly gave lots of problems when he sold it (about a decade and a half later) to a high mileage user who drove the car hard and fast.

With the latest GT1, the "original" mileage can read. Well, only applies to newer models with Siemens ECU.

Top Bottom