Loud sound/jerk when changing gear from R to D

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

RC523

Club Guest
Dear all,I just bought a E60 523 from AB a couple of months ago. I was wondering if anyone had experienced problem with a loud sound/yerk when switching gear from R to D. This problem is no perpetual. I sent it in to AB service centre and the mechanic told me that it's normal and that I shoudln't change the gear too quickly. I find it hard to believe that I have to wait for 3 seconds before changing from R to D.Besides problem with the gear, I am also hearing a beeping (4 times) sound from the car every now and then.Appreciate if anyone could shed some light onto this.Cheers!

Only 3 possible causes for that.
1.) The universal joints are bad and need to be replaced (just did this myself)
2.) The Diff has an issue (Maybe Half Shaft Bearings).
3.) The gearbox is Gone bad (Not enough fluid or the bands need adjustment/replacment)

The first 1 is Cheap.
Second mid range cost.
Third is not good at all...
The change over is never really instantanious but 3 seconds is a long time.

Send it into AB Glenmarie and look for Moorthy (one of the SA). Mine with the same problem and is now in AB to check. Since yours is absolutely under warranty, just it in and make good to it at whatever cost under AB.

RC523:

I have the same experience with you, except mine is from D to R.

Because im prone to reverse parking, everytime i slot the car in for parking, and i push it into reverse, theres a slight delay and then a sudden thunk as the car engages reverse.

I find that this doesnt happen if i go slow by pushing it into N, and then subsequently into R.

Anyhow, im driving the N-series 525i sports which i bought from AB in Feb 2006.

My car was into Sapura Auto for some other things and they discovered the following.

1. My rear diff was almost gone. They emptied out the diff oil and along with it came alot of metal shards.

They replaced that under warranty.

2. My active steering assembly also kaput it seems.

They also replaced that under warranty.

I still have some gripes with the car but all in all, i hope to get it all sorted before the warranty expires. Hehe.

Sometimes at high speeds, i feel like the car is swaying abit?

Is this normal?

And the 4 beeps is extremely normal. Hehe. Go to your vehicle settings or Display settings. Under time and date, there is this thing called HOUR MEMO.

Just untick it.

Ticking it means your car will beep 4 times everytime an hour is approaching to inform you. Like eg 11:59 or 3:59.. :)

Guys, thanks very much....it was really helpful...

Will try to send it in to AB again. This is my 3rd time visiting them in 2 months and I thought buying a new car means hassle free :-(

Cheers!!!

Waiting 3 secs before a gearchange? The guys at the BMW driving school ikn 2000, never gave the cars that chance. they were trashing the 328is with high speed front to reverse and vice versa, sliding the cars, etc.. And still, the cars worked like a charm.

David,

How's your car now? Have AB sorted it out?

K3nny,

Will the active steering assembly cause the car to tremble slightly when making a reverse/forward turn. I feel that this happen to my car when I am making a quick turn/steer especially from a stationary position?

Cheers guys!!

David, just spoke with Moorthy and according to him this is normal due to the gear transmission moving in opposite direction. He said he has tested it with you also. Is this true?

Anyway, I will send it in again tomorrow. Now, it's not only from R to D. Even from R to N, I am experiencing this sound.

Sigh!!!!!

Initially when he tested with me it is choking but after he did some programming on it, it is better now. I think your car situation is much more serious than mine. Mine do not have problem from R to N. On problem when quick shift from R to D. But now it seems like the problem is gone after the programming. Suggest you to check with Moorthy to find out what programming is that.

RC523:

My active steering when going very slow ie: neogiating parking, reversing out of my house, etc, and you turn the steering and up a bump or uphill or on uneven surface, there will be a knock knock sound in my dash that is very hard to replicate when i return to the dealership.

Try as i may, it appears sometimes and it dissapears.

Even now after replacing my steering rack, said sound is still there. Ive given up on trying to rectify it and i will really give more thought the next time i purchase a BMW.

My gearbox now is getting from bad to worse.

1. When you are on the highway and you wish to overtake, you floor the pedal and the car downshifts to a lower gear. You accelerate and are dragging on that gear and when that is done, you ease back on the throttle abit and the gearbox should now upshift. It does but it does it with a big jerk.

This happens quite often.

2. When i enter a carpark to reverse park, from D - R, it delays abit like nothing is happening and then finally a clunk when it enters.

The car is now at Sapura Auto trying to sort out other problems not related to these problems which they + AB have tried to solve countless number of times.

Fed up lar.

Top Bottom