Loose front end

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ultimat_xtc

Club Guest
Hey guys,I was wondering if any of u guys have experience this before.. my streering wheel seems to have freeplay ... and they seems to be some loose connection somewhere on the front wheels connection when going thru bumps at slow speed... I just got my ball joints and lower arm replaced. Wud appreciate feedbacks.....

check your stering rack free play rod...could be excesive free play. ;)
Thanks.

Originally posted by ultimat_xtc@Jan 31 2005, 02:39 PM
... I just got my ball joints and lower arm replaced.
What model (car) and how much it cost u?

Had the same unfortunate experience. Took me a while to pinpoint the problem. Possible culprit are the ball joint, steering rack (as described above) and if after checking and replacing those the problem still persist, try checking the control arm bushings.

On my E34 it was my freeplay adjustment. After driving modern rack and pinion based cars, driving my E34 was a bit like steering a barge. Had the freeplay adjusted until there was no more adjustment left and now it's much better but still has some play. I think all reculating ball setups are like that. Driven a Merc W124 lately? They're much worst I tell you.

same here... mine replaced not long ago that loose sound is still there. Let me know the cost if you happen to get it fix.

Check the steering coupling too, the universal joint could be due aledi given slight free play...

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyway, I drive the E36 318. If its the steering rack free play rod, do i need to change it or can it be adjusted?

Strider, I got the both the balljoints and lower arm replaced for about RM800/++

Top Bottom