Lighter Rims = Better Performance Meh?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Cixo-cixo

Did some digging around about how much performance gains one will get if one buys lighter rims?

Answer is very very little performance gain....

-0.111 secs acceleration and 1.8 km speed gain by shedding 37.2 kgs ( about 9.2 kgs off each tire+rims)

track tested results HERE-0

Other dyno tested sites HERE-1 and HERE-2 also supported the track test above ( i think )

Any real experience or data on your bimmers after you change your rims to lighter set of tires+rims?

So other sites wrote that if you want to get rims, it should be either for LOOKS or PERFORMANCE.

Since results/numbers show insignificant ( relative to real world driving conditions ) - this leaves only LOOKS into the equation.

Hrmm....What do you guys think?

Cixo

It should improve the acceleration and braking capabilities significantly...
There was an article comparing 19 vs 18 vs 17 inch rims performance on a golf GTI not long ago...can google it....
17 inch is faster on its acceleration (its lighter)...
also for my experience....u can really feel car getting nimbler on lighter rims...but make sure dont get cheap ones! haha

Yes.. There's difference.. Huge difference..

My e90 320i 150hp with top speed 215kph on paper.. was on RFT.. It takes forever to reach 200kph.. Once I discarded the RFT, switched to non-RFT, I can hit 200kph multiple times on the same stretch of road.

Not long after that, I realised GPS reading of my so called 200kph was only 180kph... Pfft..

My experience from all 4 cars that were changed from 17"/18" stock rims to aftermarket 19" and 20" rims, definitely weight plays a huge role in driving performance..almost immediately you can feel the difference in driving dynamics..

However, bigger diameter rim will need to be mated with lower profile tyres, less side wall roll, handling improves.

Firstly need to understand what are the benifits of lighter tire and rim. Vehicle weight is classified into spung mass and i sprung mass. Reducing tire and wheel weight is basically reducing unspung mass. The basic benifits are as below (some eg only)
1. Better standing start.
2. Higher acceleration.
3. Lower fuel consumption.
4. Better R&H performance.
5. Better braking performance.

Secondly is need to hnderstand weight is not the only character that needs to be considered. Wheel stiffness and deflection angle are also important in handling character of a car, providing less compliance during maneuvering.

End of the day, what matter most is the subjective feeling of the driver and not the figures measured. So go and take a lighter rim and tire and try out on your car. Comment ur subjective feeling here.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom