LED Plate Number Light

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Petrus

Club Guest
Hi all,Sorry to ask you guys this noob question,Last month, I installed an LED plate number light at the rear to replace the old yellow colour bulb for the plate number. Everything was fine and no Error Light came on.However, this morning I installed a Face Lift Tail Light for my E46. Intially, everything was fine.Suddenly, in the evening, my LED plate number light started blinking, and the Error Light oso start blinking on my dashboard. It got worse where the RHS LED plate number finally died and the left was still blinking thus leaving the Error Light on the dashboard permanently on.Am thinking of taking back the car to the accessory shop. But before that, I just need all you Sifu's opinion on whether the LED plate light not functioning due to new installation of the Tail Light? Are the wirings some how connected to each other?Hope some of you can shade some light for me.Thanx all !!!

Better go back to the accessories shop where you bought the LED lights, it could be the lights are made of poor quality components. And please double check on the wirings.

Error light on the dashboard is control by Check Control Module (CCM), it will sense normal yellow light buld through some resistance at the bulb filamen, the resistance is reduced when you changed the bulb to LED, therefore you get the error showed on the dashboard.

Hope you understand what I am saying..

wan, makes sense. in E46 this is handled by the LCM (light control module). I don't think the installation of the tail lights matter. Since the plate number light is broken, bring it back to the shop. My old plate number light is LED as well, no warning.

IMG_2829.jpg

bro aidilj ...where u get this LED light? how much? i live in small kampung...hard to get it here....

Thanx bro wan and aidil,

I sent it back and they gave me new bulbs. Under warranty according to them.

I hope that it is not the case of "it could be the lights are made of poor quality components" as Wan mentioned. Anyway, keeping my fingers cross that the LED will last longer this time.

The following is the LED light I installed, sorry for the really bad fon camera quality.

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

Bro this one always have problem where it will on the warning light then off when enough current is resisted...

Ive seen some great Mods online... do check this out instead...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/No-Error-LED-License-plate-Light-BMW-E46-323i-325i-330i-/180539806854

This one is similar to bro Aidilj one...but with better resistors... R1 & R2 actually simulate real bulb... but hope you get it coded so that instead of using Resistors, you can tell ur UDM that no need so much current for the tail light :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wht-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b71f201a

@Aidilj: Bro urs confirm made out from Self DIY rite ? :p

xcrave;636995 said:
@Aidilj: Bro urs confirm made out from Self DIY rite ? :p

I didn't install the lights, it is already like that, probably previous owner did it. Didn't examine if it has any resistors though..

Top Bottom