knocking sound from under the hood..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

deep3102

Club Guest
I just had this experience after flooring it a lil.. Noticed it when i wound down the window to tag me Touch n Go this morning..a constant "knock-knock-knock" sound follows..sigh..i wonder wuts up..:106:

Alas, what i fear most has happened.
diagnose: 8 litres engine oil all "eaten" up...
Symptom: Hard knocking sound even at stand stil, disatisfied owner..l
solution: overhaul..whether top overhaul or the whole engine, yet to know.
Bright Side: good as new or almost..
Dark Side: $$$$ (yet to know)

ooo...sorry to hear that...what caused the loss of the 9litres of engine oil? leakage?

Deep,

When was the last you checked your oil-dip stick? What was the level then?

Did it leak at your car porch? Try putting your car on hoist and see if it''s all basah underneath with oil...

Deep3102, so sorry to hear that.

Same knocking sound but a little different though, it's from the back... Just wanna get you guys opinion.:listen:

Only when the car is still cold, when you almost come to a stop, there’s one very light knock sound from the back. One time only. The rest of the time is OK. I’ve checked with AB when I change my gear oil there(mileage 47k, 2004 E46 325i) last week, they told me to monitor after oil change, but it’s still there.

According to the AB guy, he told me dat could be the gear oil hasn’t reach the optimum temperature yet. Some times when I have short drive like from some food stall back to home(2-3km at night), when I almost come to a stop, this knocking sound can be heard.(I am very sensitive to sound from car)

Again it happens only when slowly down to almost a stop(in front of house gate), not when car is accelerating. Sounds like a sound when gear drop from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st gear. Is this normal?(I guess any sound is not?)

The car is very new when I bought over from AB as premium car selection at 35kkm with 1yr warranty. After 6mths owning the car it’s 47kkm now & I just had the gear oil change last week as a preventive maintenance. I also have my oil change every 10kkm. Next time onward thinking of every 8kkm for an oil change.

Is this the symptom of any trouble on GB?

Thanks!

well king82, engine thus old (1997 model) is bound to have such problems if the previous owner may have not been particular about servicing, type of oil used etc...So, since it came into my hands, me lah jadi the kambing to face the consequences...hehehe..but u know what, despite the heavy bill, torn pocket n underwear, im happy in a way bcoz, im rest assured that for the next couple of years, my engine is as good as new..

bimmerholic, no leaks, did the hoist lift, removed the cover beneath....all clean bro. but anyways, the car is in since yesterday evening, and WIP now...just hoping that everything is alright.. i checked the deepstick 2 weeks ago n didnt notice any shortage in engine oil..

also, thanks for your concern guys.

bro vroom325, y do think its somethnig to do with g/box? i'd say keep the options open, n also check out rear bushings, perhaps brake calipers n everything beneath..
if you want, maybe come down to Autopex Glenmarie, Kelvin is every ready to help. Let me know, ill be going there quite often the next few days..

cheers~

hehe...looking into the bright side...yup, at least you know what has been serviced and repaired since you own it...and with TLC, the car will be able to bring you JOY for more years to come =)

Do update us on the type of repair and if possible, the costs incurred...so that i'll know what i'll be facing when I do upgrade to E39 later =)

Vroom325, early in the morning (on the way to work) my E34 also has a loud knocking sound when it goes to a complete stop...but it's coming from the front. After a while, the sound disappears. Think need to get it checked when I have the time, i think you need to too...maybe I'll also get the ATF oil and the filter changed. :p $kaching kaching kaching$

bro king82, the knocking u mentioned, does it go off when ur in "N" or constantly apearing? hows ur engine oil level and u should also check the rod coupling, fan gears and all that..could be reasons for knocking too.. same to Vroom325 also..
just my 2 cents and info a buddy of mine was telling me about when i told him abt my knocking sounds...

btw king82, ipoh which part arr? i saw ur location..im from ipoh too, taman anda (tasek) side..working here in KL..

Bro deep3102, I seldom put the gear into neutral when nearing stops. The knocking sound (seems from effect of braking) occurs while stopping at the "D" gear...it goes away after some time (after the car has warmed up a bit). I've never had to add engine oil before the service interval, so I don't think there's anything wrong there...I'll just let the professional do the checking and let me know what's wrong... =)

guys, thanks.

I can tell it's not brake. It doens't sould like brake in fact. The sound really make me feel like something to do with the gear. The sound doesn't come up at point of complete stop, it comes up when it's ALMOST stop, just like to car dropping gear when it slows down.

I heard there's rear differential oil also need to be change? Do you think anything related there?

Where is autopex Glenmarie? My car still has warranty, so I can still bring back to AB to get them fix though, but it will be good to hear few different comment.

I'm staying in Ipoh Garden, near Jusco area...and working here in KL. I go back to hometown usually on weekends...once or twice a month...

wah...same kampung la we all..Batu Gajah, i love ur golf course there lah...nice place to pukul bola..
me too go back almost 1 every month...maybe we could meet up for breakfast over the weekends ke..Bro Vroom, Shah alam which part? im staying at Seksyen 27, Alam Megah. heehe..

Autopex is located just by the main Glenmarie road, u can never miss it...opposite Politeknik bro..

About the differential oil, i doubt it needs to be changed so soon la bro, n i think, if urs is under warranty, then u shouldnt let the chance go, get them to check it properly for u...after all, ur paying them so much already...
but second opinion is always good..then u can counter them kaw kaw...wakaka..

haha...what a coincidence...orang perak...=)

Vroom325, i can't help you much on your problem...do you have a regular mechanic that you often go to? If yes, do take your car for a check there...i think your problem is a bit more severe than mine. From your description, it does sound like gearbox problem.

For mine, during downwards gearshift, it's smooth...just that when it reaches a complete stop...there'll be a "grrrrkk" sound.

bro king82, it does sound funny, could it be a worn our bush that probably jerks the box a lil..i dont know la, but i guess ur option of leaving it to the professionals to do their job is the best bet...after all, we would all be mech's if we knew wuts wrong..heheh..

I guess we'll need a lot of time and experience to actually determine or "guess" what's wrong, which parts to replace/ repair etc...I've just been driving this E34 regularly for less than 1 year...and between this period, I've only encountered some minor repairs and the regular engine oil + filter service...

Hi Bro King82 & Deep3102, wat a coincidence! Guess wat, our nick name all got numbers!!! is this common for Ipoh mari?:wink:

Deep3102, u mean clear water sanctuary, right? I go there to practice when I go home. Hei, we can even go golfing! If u want to play cheap, there's one more in Batu Gajah, about RM50 only. Oldest golf course in Malaysia.:top:

I am going back to hometown again End/mth, probably around 30/Dec-1/Jan.

Since I've got my car for only 6mths & I only travel 12k km in 6mths time, only service once at M speed USJ Ah Meng's place to change engine oil only. Gear oil done at AB coz afraid of the warranty. but I do get opinion from Ah Meng & others to counter AB, it will be helpful to equip ourself before hand. From meachnics & also this forum.:top:

So far, I have got AB to replace my fan belt & pulley(sound rough, once complain, changed right away), then replaced 6 ignition coils at AB at their cost coz recently one of them kong, cause misfiring. Also did some small claim here & there lah.

Will get them to check the rear differential bushes. Advise from our expert in the forum, since sound from the rear not GB. Phew...

Top Bottom