knock sensors

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vincent

Club Guest
guys/sifus knock sensors 1 should it be change ?2 if is, how long need to change ?3 if dont change what is the bad side of it ?4 how to check if it is faulty ..will this sensors make the car fc very high and loss of some power .my ride is e36 m43 318 i .thanks in advance

vincent,

did you try a MODIC check on your car ? Did the fault code came out ?

modic done , the guy say my car is healthy , but does the modic let me know my sensors healthy as well , i know that he told me my 02 sensor healthy ..

Vincent,

Knock sensor task is to detects vibrations at the crankcase.

It is a self contained system. Inside the knock sensor are piezo crystal.
The screened cable is fitted directly onto the knock sensor.

Any vibration which occur are converted with the aid of the piezo ceramic into electrical signals.

Piezo-electric effect: If a mechanical force acts on a crystal, electrical voltages are produced.

Knock sensor signals may also indicate engine damage, Example : increased engine noise resulting from a widened piston.

hope this help

Wow, very detail and usefull explaination. So i guess that it works on the same principle of a piezo mic. ususally used for accustic instruments?

Originally posted by KiNaKa@May 4 2006, 07:39 AM
Vincent,

Any vibration which occur are converted with the aid of the piezo ceramic into electrical signals.

Piezo-electric effect: If a mechanical force acts on a crystal, electrical voltages are produced.

Knock sensor signals may also indicate engine damage, Example : increased engine noise resulting from a widened piston.

hope this help
wow kinaka...u can be our walking 'manual'...hehehe ;)

Originally posted by KiNaKa@May 4 2006, 07:39 AM
Vincent,

hope this help
Bro,

Where is knock sensor located?
Is it different from crankshaft sensor that located at lower engine?

hey don't mention that bro... i just share some info only.

initialM,

The knock sensor usually attached on both side of the engine block(crankcase), there are the nearest/ most direct place to detect knocking & heavy vibration.

Top Bottom