jap tyres..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

adliz

Club Guest
what do u guys think about putting jap tyres on our udms? some think udm shud only use conti tyres.. either michelin, conti or pirelly.. err, but none of the big name makers are german, right? any comment on these tyres: 1) advan neova ad072) advan sport 3) toyo t1-R

that's silly and just euro snobbery...there are loads of great japanese tires like Yokohama and Toyo....its not where the tire comes from, its how good the tires are. To that effect, I've heard some good things about Kumhos and Falkens....

I think the low-volume Fulda is german...I remembered it to be OEM on Porsches some time ago.

Fulda is now part of Goodyear.

Do check the Japanese tyres' max. pressure - most of them have 44 psi max. pressure rating which is too low for the likes of the E46 in fully-loaded mode. Euro tyres have 51psi max. pressure rating.

lower max pressure? gud heads-up.. ill take a note of that when i go to the tyre shop.. but i read somewhere that the advan sport is factory fitted on exige and continental gt.. speed rating us claimed to exceed 300kmh.. so, i guess it shud not be an issue to our slower cars? :rolleyes:

been thinking to get a spare set.. thought the japs wud be cheaper, but not really!! just got quoted

advan sport
rm 1300 for 245/35/19
rm 1500 for 275/30/19

toyo t1-r
rm 900 for the fronts
rm 1150 for the rears

any idea on ad07 pricing? thanks!

adliz: those are pretty serious tires but check the tread wear...pretty low I think, for sure 12k to 15k miles maximum.

oh, and the toyo was fitted on the cayenne turbo to record the 'fastest suv in the world' with 3++ kmh if i recall correctly..

all these are very gud publicity to compete with the likes of the much more established brands..

adliz said:
oh, and the toyo was fitted on the cayenne turbo to record the 'fastest suv in the world' with 3++ kmh if i recall correctly..

all these are very gud publicity to compete with the likes of the much more established brands..

FYI: Im sitting on Toyo T1R.. cheap and GOOD..:)

KL2DC said:
adliz: those are pretty serious tires but check the tread wear...pretty low I think, for sure 12k to 15k miles maximum.

yeah man.. when we told the workshop mechanic that the ps2 lasted only 10,000 KM on one of our cars, he was damn surprised!! we really thought he shared our concern.. but he then said we were lucky they lasted more than 7,500km!! :eek: and that's without any track sessions!

what rft are u using? michelin? i heard rft are damn expensive?

AD07....I couldn't find them in 19" but I really wanted them
Advan Sport I didn't like too much
T1-R looks good though.

I ended up getting the Falken Azenis ST115, couldn't find Azenis RT215

adliz: I'm using POS Bridgeston EL42s all-seasons *embarassed* LOL

Working on a summer set-up but too many expenses of late. By the time I have the wheels/tires that I want, it'd be winter again LOL

casa.. yeah, i was just told they dun make ad07 in 19 and above.. dunno how true.. how's the azenis performing?

kl2dc, they dun call it POS for nothing.. hehe.. kidding.. when wud u be around in kl again?

adliz said:
kl2dc, they dun call it POS for nothing.. hehe.. kidding.. when wud u be around in kl again?

I hear you, man.... :rolleyes:

Would probably be down in December...how're the e90 parts shopping back home? Might want to look at a couple of transportable things to see how the prices are? Might make a trip down to Jakarta as well (have relatives there) and check out a couple of places that does custom one-off pieces for the e90. A poster alerted me of an angel eyes kit for the e90 fog lamps :eek:

Angel_Eyes_2_resize.jpg

confirmed AD07 largest size is 18" from multiple sources.

The Azenis are doing fine...wish I could have gotten the RT-215 (not sure if they have 19") instead of the ST-115 though.

What tire you end up deciding on?

kl2dc.. i doubt we have that many e90 parts locally.. malaysian market u know lah, only after awhile before all aftermarkets/replicas wud become available..

casa, i just installed the t1-r earlier.. so far so good.. to my surprise:

1) slightly quiter!
2) softer and less vibration from the road
3) pickup feels faster, maybe better grip?
4) high speed driving feels a bit floaty
5) cornering grip is not as good, the dsc comes in more frequent. maybe need to wait until the tyres are run-in

will monitor progress esp lateral grip.. :mad:

Just fitted 195/55R15 Yoko Advan Neova AD07 to my other car (Satria) 3 days back... very sticky tyres, sand will stick to the thread like glue... only did 100+km, still running 'em in, no chance to trash 'em yet.

Initial impression, compared with previous tyres (Yoko ES100), quite noisy (only slightly softer than the ageing ES100)... but sidewalls are softer, and much higher rolling resistance, possibly due to the softer thread... looks like I'll be expecting a fun time soon with the AD07!

Only RM285 each for 195/55R15... Should give one of the biggest bangs for the buck... Worth the 2-month wait to get this size in from Japan (had to force my tyre shop to order them from YHI)... If anyone out there with E36 running the stock size of 205/60R15, this tyre is available in that size, and plenty more sizes...

One thing missing from Jap all-out performance tyres is the ride refinement... this is something that the Euro tyres are better at.

LCP said:
Just fitted 195/55R15 Yoko Advan Neova AD07 to my other car (Satria) 3 days back... very sticky tyres, sand will stick to the thread like glue...

One thing missing from Jap all-out performance tyres is the ride refinement... this is something that the Euro tyres are better at.

yeah man, the ad07 was very gud when i had it on my previous 325i.. very near to semi-slicks i was told.. never had any semi-slicks myself..

people claim that the advan sport which is factory fitted on bentley conti gt is as comfortable as any euro tyres if not better.. though thread wear are not as gud..

adliz said:
what about comfort level and road noise? non-issue?

comfort level not very good maybe because sidewall is too short (225/45) and running on bilstein b8. haha i am the type who likes 60 series tire; damn should have changed to 60's. anyways it's still quiet after about 2k km. some say wet grip is not good but i think it is gripping well on rainy days. the reason i got those is because it's cheap and it's japanese.

tamade7 said:
comfort level not very good maybe because sidewall is too short (225/45) and running on bilstein b8. haha i am the type who likes 60 series tire; damn should have changed to 60's. anyways it's still quiet after about 2k km. some say wet grip is not good but i think it is gripping well on rainy days. the reason i got those is because it's cheap and it's japanese.

yeah man.. i think the japs are keeping up pretty well, and not too hard on our wallet.. i saved about 2k by getting the toyo! more night outs for me next months.. ehhe..

i'm still monitoring my t1-r.. so far the dsc still kicks in on hard corners.. damn.. but ride is waaaayyy better than the ps2 and much quiter too.. excellent!

any other jap tyres that'd be good for cornering grip beside ad07?

Top Bottom