Is it true?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mikeyew

Club Guest
Dear members,I was told by BMW authorised workshops (IA & AB)that they are using special formulated (proprietary)engine oil for our cars and it cannot be found anywhere else. It seems that the oil is 'special'that it will allow our service intervals to be stretch to 25K - 30K km.How far is this true? Does that mean we will never be able to change oil outside again?:eek:Your feedback and thoughts are appreciated.Cheers.

mikeyew;381275 said:
Dear members,

I was told by BMW authorised workshops (IA & AB)that they are using special formulated (proprietary)
engine oil for our cars and it cannot be found anywhere else. It seems that the oil is 'special'
that it will allow our service intervals to be stretch to 25K - 30K km.

How far is this true? Does that mean we will never be able to change oil outside again?:eek:

Your feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers.

IA and Sapura told me they are using Petronas Syntium. Not sure about AB though.

The oil used by all the Authorised Dealers are LL (long life) spec, which at the moment are not available at the market. Auto Bavaria uses Syntium and also Shell Ultra Helix (all LL spec).

You can still use regular synthetic oil, just that it won't last till 25k km.

Cheers

even though they use LL oil but sludge built up is still very common...whatever oil u use just change it max 10k km interval...

the first sign of serious sludge built-up is on the engine oil refill cap...

t2ribena;381450 said:
even though they use LL oil but sludge built up is still very common...whatever oil u use just change it max 10k km interval...

the first sign of serious sludge built-up is on the engine oil refill cap...

I cannot agree more! 10k km interval is the ideal limit you should push the oil... though I chnage mine every 6k km on Petronas Syntium 5000 0/40. Remember, there are times when engine is running and car is not moving - hence the km is not being clocked but combustion is still taking place.

The oil that is being supplied by AB, SA and IA is the Petronas Syntium fully Synthetic Long Life version that has been accredited by BMW AG! You will never go wrong with this oil........ :top:

ALBundy;381398 said:
The oil used by all the Authorised Dealers are LL (long life) spec, which at the moment are not available at the market. Auto Bavaria uses Syntium and also Shell Ultra Helix (all LL spec).

You can still use regular synthetic oil, just that it won't last till 25k km.

Cheers

In other words, if you are using LL specs oils, does that mean it's absolutely safe
for 25K km?

I'm still contemplating whether to listen to them(AB, IA) or play it safe and have it
changed every 10-15k km.

We need to be thrifty these days as I do not want to spend unecessary, you know.

Regards.

Silver;381476 said:
I cannot agree more! 10k km interval is the ideal limit you should push the oil... though I chnage mine every 6k km on Petronas Syntium 5000 0/40. Remember, there are times when engine is running and car is not moving - hence the km is not being clocked but combustion is still taking place.

The oil that is being supplied by AB, SA and IA is the Petronas Syntium fully Synthetic Long Life version that has been accredited by BMW AG! You will never go wrong with this oil........ :top:

but it's not sold on d market right? ... cos recently i checked at petronas station d syntium 5000 doesnt have LL-01

mikeyew;381575 said:
In other words, if you are using LL specs oils, does that mean it's absolutely safe
for 25K km?

I'm still contemplating whether to listen to them(AB, IA) or play it safe and have it
changed every 10-15k km.

We need to be thrifty these days as I do not want to spend unecessary, you know.

Regards.

Well bro ... if you must stretch d oil change to 25k then you can (at your own risk) but you must change d oil filter every 5k km ... cos it's d filter dat will keep all d metal shavings and other impurities from recirculating inside your engine and prevent sludge buildup too :D

mikeyew;381575 said:
for 25K km?

changed every 10-15k km.

Regards.

Well, they are the experts and I am sure they know what they are doing.

But it will do you no harm (except a little on the wallet) to get your oil change every 10k km.

Cheers

Well guys, my logic got the better of me and I when to IA to have the oil changed today.
Car feels refreshed but my wallet is lighter by RM720....sorb

Thanks for the advise all sifus out there.

Cheers ans Merry Christmas.

B33mEr;381576 said:
but it's not sold on d market right? ... cos recently i checked at petronas station d syntium 5000 doesnt have LL-01

Yes bro - the oil currently is not available in 4 litre packs and hence not sold at the stations or dealers... This special Long Life accredited lubricant is supplied in steel containers to very selected workshops including AB, SA and IA - I strongly suggest that u try it out coz it really does make an impressive difference........

Silver;381794 said:
Yes bro - the oil currently is not available in 4 litre packs and hence not sold at the stations or dealers... This special Long Life accredited lubricant is supplied in steel containers to very selected workshops including AB, SA and IA - I strongly suggest that u try it out coz it really does make an impressive difference........

Yes. Agree w' U. It is only available in 5 litre packs and sold at selected workshop. The price observe around RM330 per pack/5litre. Most of them are American blend or europe blend. Never try on it before.

mikeyew;381789 said:
Well guys, my logic got the better of me and I when to IA to have the oil changed today.
Car feels refreshed but my wallet is lighter by RM720....sorb

Thanks for the advise all sifus out there.

Cheers ans Merry Christmas.

Is that for 6 cylinders or four? For that price I don't see how there can be savings when it is equivalent to servicing twice with the regular synthetic oil in the market. And that is including two filter changes which is the real limit of our service intervals.

B33mEr;381576 said:

Yes correct. So to say if the syntium 5000 sold in malaysia is the same as the LL-01 syntium, only petronas can confirm. Syntium5000 LL-01 however can be found in, for example, in South Africa.

Top Bottom