Iridium plugs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
Anyone out there who are currently using iridium plugs, as well as those whom had prior experience with these stuff. What is your take on it, good? Given the fact that it is relatively costly, I am wandering whether it is worthwhile to use them in place of the usual plugs. What are the benefits? I heard those iridium plugs gives a more intense spark thus providing better combustion leading to increase in power, etc, etc, etc. True or not, I dunno. Thus I am seeking your experience.

Have been using them for close to a year now, here's my observations:

1. Smoother acceleration ( esp in towards the top of the RPM range)
2. Slightly better power (experienced better low end torque)
3. They last ....(checked them 2000km ago and they still look new)
4. Slightly improved consumption (conservative driving)

Only worth it if you're going to mod your car (ie. advance your ignition timing through software tuning). If not, I don't think there's a big difference. Save your money for the software upgrade first.

How about the E34, year 90 which i think don't hv software tuning?Btw how much it's cost?

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Dec 29 2004, 01:19 AM
How about the E34, year 90 which i think don't hv software tuning?Btw how much it's cost?
u can get performance chip for the M20... but can't match up to increase cubic capacity....

If you are interested to have software tuning, can consider piggy-back ECU like SMT6 and UNIChip... I'll be getting SMT6 soon.. hehhee

c-square,

yes, it makes a difference. Plug it into my corolla seg and my e30. Both shows better fuel consumption and what exactly what kev has said.

I have clocked 10,000km with iridium for my corolla and it still gives good mileage. In fact now, the mileage is better than my sis-in-law corolla (same model but manual).

Worth the upgrade. :)

Depends on what engine you have, if you have a six pot M50 engine with individual ignition coils, save the money and invest in something else. Older engines like M20 and M40 may benefit from it kekekekeke

Originally posted by c-square@Dec 28 2004, 06:19 PM
Anyone out there who are currently using iridium plugs, as well as those whom had prior experience with these stuff. What is your take on it, good? Given the fact that it is relatively costly, I am wandering whether it is worthwhile to use them in place of the usual plugs.

What are the benefits? I heard those iridium plugs gives a more intense spark thus providing better combustion leading to increase in power, etc, etc, etc. True or not, I dunno. Thus I am seeking your experience.
Good stuff. The sparks are more consistent due to the fine tip (make sure its the 0.4mm tip).

Better than splitfire. Splitfire is makes my engine sound rough.

Best ones I used before were plasma plugs, made by Kidc, the same people that make Cyclone. Couldn't use plasma plugs on my e21 as it got fouled by oil leaking into one of the combustion chambers. It ran perfectly with my Citroen, reduced engine noise. Don't know if its still available.

Benefits of iridium plugs are as per kevster's comments.

Pls note that there is a long-life version with a 0.7mm tip. Not as efficient tho.

I am lucky that my m20 uses only six plugs. Think about those with twin spark plugs, like alfa romeo and porche. very painful if wanna change to iridiums.

Originally posted by elwine30@Dec 29 2004, 08:29 AM
c-square,

yes, it makes a difference. Plug it into my corolla seg and my e30. Both shows better fuel consumption and what exactly what kev has said.

I have clocked 10,000km with iridium for my corolla and it still gives good mileage. In fact now, the mileage is better than my sis-in-law corolla (same model but manual).

Worth the upgrade. :)
Just plug them in and experienced the improvement? No need engine mod like what The Necessary mentioned? If it is so simple, I might just go for it.

Seems to me that the majority are in favour of the iridium plugs with all those good points mentioned. But what about any negative points and side-effects (besides the costs, that it)? Will it cause premature wear-and-tear due to the more intense spark (or am I just talking crap here)?

No regrets so far. Plug & play... no need retuning or anything. Rest assure that you wont be making a mistake in changing.

Aiyah... nothing makes you grin better than to pay a small amount of money & get some noticeable improvement in your car.

Errr... side effects: You'll want more power :p By which time, it's re-engine time.

Its not all that cheap if you have 6 or more cylinders! Imagine replacing plugs for a V12....

how to know that i am using iridim plugs or not ah??? last time i changed my plugs, it has 4 heads per plugs, what's that?????

Originally posted by willie@Dec 29 2004, 05:07 PM
how to know that i am using iridim plugs or not ah??? last time i changed my plugs, it has 4 heads per plugs, what's that?????

Four headed plug - a Bosch - I cannot remember the name. Not a great plug.

Iridium performance plugs will have the single head and a sharp pointed electrode with a 0.4 mm tip.

Long life iridium plugs have a 0.9 mm tip.

So far, I have seen iridium plugs made by NGK and Denso. Toyota's use the long life iridiums by Denso. (Brought in by UMW Toyota)

Normal bosch/beru etc have a flat topped electrode.

Originally posted by 3er@Dec 29 2004, 03:35 PM
Its not all that cheap if you have 6 or more cylinders! Imagine replacing plugs for a V12....
Or a V12 with twin spark plugs - 24 pcs @ say, RM60 each - RM1,440.

I would go for Denso. Simply cos i heard good things about them.

Guys, Are the plugs compatible with NGK BKR6EQUP type of plugs? Mine is a E36 328.

Top Bottom