instrument light

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rockonla

Club Guest
hi friends, the light for my speedo and oil gauge are currently out leaving only the rev meter and temp lit up. i want to know, if it is possible for a novice to replace the bulb by himself or is there any DIY manual for this, thanks in advance...it is super ugly for now with only one light on the instrument clusters.eep! :eek:

Removing the cluster require some skills, knowing the screws' positions and the overall shape of the cluster helps, esp when you do this with the steering in place. Once cluster is out, changing the bulb would be easy. For DIY instructions u can try google it or buy ur self an e30 Haynes repair book off Ebay. Hope this helps.

rockonla;496256 said:
hi friends, the light for my speedo and oil gauge are currently out leaving only the rev meter and temp lit up. i want to know, if it is possible for a novice to replace the bulb by himself or is there any DIY manual for this, thanks in advance...it is super ugly for now with only one light on the instrument clusters.eep! :eek:

It's not that hard. First remove the outer ring (dash borad support) by unscrewing the screws. Then you will see two or three screws holding the cluster. These are attached to the dashboard. You may have to struggle a bit when taking it out though. Once all the sres are losen, you can unplug the cluster.
Here is a diagram of cluster.

Get some spare bulbs first from the spare part shop as shown.
bulbs.jpg

You can easy remove the instrument cluster. The bulb can be replaced without open the casing.
(picture source from bimmerforum)
rearcluster.jpg

thank u guys..this is really helpful and i shall do it this weekend. thank you again!

where can one get the bulbs? I have tried asking Bavarian Auto as well as First Division but they do not stock them. I use to be able to get them easily in the late 90's but no more.

i could be wrong coz i havent open the clusters yet but those lights looks oh so similar to those of low beam bulb of a wira. looks like it but i could be wrong. will update once im done with this...buruk la with one meter only that lights up

virtualmystic;500350 said:
where can one get the bulbs? I have tried asking Bavarian Auto as well as First Division but they do not stock them. I use to be able to get them easily in the late 90's but no more.

go jalan pasar , look for end lot shop selling car accessory ..... buy a lot seem it cheap so you can have stock for another 5 years :) ....

The 2 big ones for the main illumination are just normal 5W T10 bulbs. Any car accessory shop should have. Some people use 10W ones for brighter illumination, but I'm personally wary of extra heat in the instrument cluster. I switched mine to LEDs. :D

evilnickwong;500591 said:
The 2 big ones for the main illumination are just normal 5W T10 bulbs. Any car accessory shop should have. Some people use 10W ones for brighter illumination, but I'm personally wary of extra heat in the instrument cluster. I switched mine to LEDs. :D

This is true. Extra wattage would generate more heat which may cause damage to instrument cluster plastic.
BMW make their cluster illumination in amber colour for a reason.

evilnickwong;500591 said:

Please explain how to change to LED. I think LED is better. Thanks

EEEE30;500690 said:
This is true. Extra wattage would generate more heat which may cause damage to instrument cluster plastic.
BMW make their cluster illumination in amber colour for a reason.

Please share whats the reason. This thing haunting me since day 1. Why amber color. Thank you

Rockonla, I used to buy the bulb from Auto Bavaria SS2 few years back. I don't know now can get it or not but like evilnickwong said, any car accessory shop should have but "upgrade" it to LED is much better

I can show you how to take out the meter cluster. PM me

The other thing,

[FONT=&quot]If you do remove the cluster, I would recommend tightening up the two small brass nuts on the back, opening it up, and checking the SI board batteries and the soldering of the large 220 ohm resistor near the temp. gauge.[/FONT]

Strider;500745 said:
Please share whats the reason. This thing haunting me since day 1. Why amber color. Thank you

Well it's a simple yet very practicle reason. Amber color considered to be the least distracting to human eyes because of that it won't make your eyes tired. Colours like blue on the other hand, is on the other side of the spectrum, very high intensity, thus very distracting.
Drive a vdub in the night and see the difference.

EEEE30;501007 said:
Well it's a simple yet very practicle reason. Amber color considered to be the least distracting to human eyes because of that it won't make your eyes tired. Colours like blue on the other hand, is on the other side of the spectrum, very high intensity, thus very distracting.
Drive a vdub in the night and see the difference.

Thank you very much

Just replace the T10 bulbs with LED versions, but they have to be multi angle ones like this:
7579409187.jpg

Also because of the extra height, you have to remove the two orange caps over the bulb locations. The main light of the cluster will still be orange, but some parts like the mileage numbers might be whitish. Unless you get orange LEDs of course haha.

ive yet to find a free weekend to do this DIY..haihh. il be sure to PM u bro strider.

evilnickwong;501359 said:
Just replace the T10 bulbs with LED versions, but they have to be multi angle ones like this:
7579409187.jpg

Also because of the extra height, you have to remove the two orange caps over the bulb locations. The main light of the cluster will still be orange, but some parts like the mileage numbers might be whitish. Unless you get orange LEDs of course haha.

I have shanged mine to LED as well but I decided on red colour.... the lightling effect is bo nice...

r37720;508247 said:
I have shanged mine to LED as well but I decided on red colour.... the lightling effect is bo nice...

dude, care to share a pic of that? :top:

Top Bottom