Instrument Cluster Pixel Repair by haywire

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

seech

Club Guest
Met up with bro haywire yesterday to get my E38's instrument cluster fixed.Thankfully he had one spare ribbon from the group buy and I was able to arrange to meet up with him to get it done.http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?45879-Group-buy-MID-amp-instrument-cluster-ribbon-ring-bulbThis is what it looked like before:
DSCF7941.JPG
DSCF7944.JPG
My car might be trying to tell me that, "haywire is an awesome guy who is unfortunately wearing the wrong jersey", but with the state of the pixels on my instrument cluster who knows.....The work was carried out at haywire's workshop ie. any available mamak stall... :)
photo+%281%29.JPG
Frankly speaking, after watching haywire carry out the ribbon replacement, this isn't a DIY for those faint of heart. It is NOT a simple plug & play. Drilling with power tools are required with a VERY high risk of breaking some irreplaceable plastic bits off the instrument cluster assembly. Best to let the professionals handle the work....The offending ribbon....
photo.JPG
Note the worn our portions of the ribbon. Contrary to popular belief, the pixels itself aren't the source of the problem. Rather its the ribbon which has worn out that is causing the problem.Any burnt out bulbs were also replaced in the process...
photo+%282%29.JPG
I must say that haywire was very meticulous and also a perfectionist as can be seen from his awesome thread about his E39 530i.http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?33080-BMW-E39-530i-M-Sport-Individual-Aegean-Blue-Edition-2003The success of the pixel repair is highly dependent on getting the ribbon lined up correctly and it took three attempts to get 100% of the pixels working. Maany thanks to haywire for the persistence in troubleshooting the repair and getting all 100% of my pixels back!
photo+%283%29.JPG
I am extremely pleased with the results as you can see from the pictures below...Before:
DSCF7944.JPG
After:
DSCF7958.JPG
Many thanks bro! *still the wrong jersey though..... ;-)

*ahem ahem*

What wrong jersey ah?

Haywire not a footie fan :D

Hahaha, I remember one TT two years ago, he came with Barca shirt. :biggrin:

But awesome work man!

Seech, when can we be privy of the detailing thread for your E38 la? :D

Eggie86;734226 said:
*ahem ahem*

What wrong jersey ah?

Haywire not a footie fan :D

Hahaha, I remember one TT two years ago, he came with Barca shirt. :biggrin:

But awesome work man!

Seech, when can we be privy of the detailing thread for your E38 la? :D

;-)

Errr.... been really busy leh.

Don't worry will start a thread on my 38. Planning a full sanding, correction thingy....

Great!

Will definitely subscribe to the thread for updates!

How's KC bro? Long time never hear from him. :p

Anyhow, great work again from Haywire to breathe new life to your OBC readout.

I know how frustrating it can get with those 'phantom' pixels. :biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words bro..

Bro Eggie is right, I'm not a footie fan, but just liked jerseys. Any jersey from any club would do. Sometimes I'm not even aware that there are football matches going on, and wore wrong jerseys..hehehe

Anyway I'm bought some more ribbon stock for the ribbon repair for the cluster and MID unit for the E39 5 series, E38 7 series and E53 X5s.

haywire;734239 said:
Thanks for the kind words bro..

Bro Eggie is right, I'm not a footie fan, but just liked jerseys. Any jersey from any club would do. Sometimes I'm not even aware that there are football matches going on, and wore wrong jerseys..hehehe

Anyway I'm bought some more ribbon stock for the ribbon repair for the cluster and MID unit for the E39 5 series, E38 7 series and E53 X5s.

Hahahaha.... According to Eggie it's not only the correct jersey... its the ONLY jersey.... :)

Will be trying to get my hands onto a MID as recommended.

For anyone looking to recover any lost pixels I would highly recommend getting in touch with bro haywire!

Haha no lah, Eggie said I wore a Barca one when he saw me, yesterday proven from the pictures I'm wearing Man U shirt! Also got England, Germany, Brazil, among others...

haywire;734258 said:
Haha no lah, Eggie said I wore a Barca one when he saw me, yesterday proven from the pictures I'm wearing Man U shirt! Also got England, Germany, Brazil, among others...

Next time you do a repair make sure you ask which shirt to wear.... :)

aidilj;734296 said:
Bro Haywire, great handywork. Keep it up.

Last edited by aidilj; Today at 01:59 PM. Reason: remove hair comment

Don't lah like that..... :)

thats real kool haywire.
5 thumbs up for ur effort.
wat i really love to if hv the opportunity is to ask haywire to do a 3.5mm jack to fit iphone/ipod.

initialM;734612 said:
Nice work, hope haywire can do mine soon........

Which car of yours have the cluster pixel problem?

Or you planning to buy back an "old skool"?

kayzhen911;734350 said:
thats real kool haywire.
5 thumbs up for ur effort.
wat i really love to if hv the opportunity is to ask haywire to do a 3.5mm jack to fit iphone/ipod.

Apparently thats easy enough. What year is your car?

If after Sept 2002 build date can do like my OEM harness:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?33080-BMW-E39-530i-M-Sport-Individual-Aegean-Blue-Edition-2003&p=500280&viewfull=1#post500280

If before Sept 2002 can do with a simple computer cable and 3.5mm jack:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1763361&highlight=Aux

In both solutions it should be really simple.

initialM;734612 said:
Nice work, hope haywire can do mine soon........

I think its the backlight. Let me see your car next time you are in KL.

the king of DIY talks and i listen dumbfoundedly!
hahaha....me still dun understand.. :(
wat the fucuk!
common sense is really not than common u know.....

actually bro....
02/07
quite similar to urs tho.
but then again, to my untrained eyes.....
sad eh bro???

kayzhen911;735727 said:
actually bro....
02/07
quite similar to urs tho.
but then again, to my untrained eyes.....
sad eh bro???

gimme the VIN number. I need exact build date e.g Oct 2002. Doesn't matter if it looks the same to mine.

Top Bottom