Infinity Reference 6010cs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ade

Club Guest
Has anybody tried these? Seems to be good value for money for those who wants SQ quality. Compared to Alpine SPR-176 components....how are they? Any good? Supposely to have a mounting depth of 2 1/6" which can be fitted to the e46 sedan without any modification though it has a 6.5" mid.

Hi Ade,

I hope you're refering to the current model - photo as attached. This new model comes with their new Starfish Tweeter Mounting feature which allows you to use the comps as co-axials when no tweeter locations are available. And yes, they have a 2 1/6" mounting depth which makes it possible to mount them in stock locations with minimal depth provision. As with the earlier versions of the Infinity Reference components, they are made in China/Korea if I recall correctly but then again so are most mainstream ICE stuff these days.

Initial impression - I heard it for less than 20 mins hooked up to an Alpine V12 amp was quite positive. Natural sounding tweeters that goes high with minimal harshness or distortion while the mids were smooth though mid bass response was pretty average. I wud not worry too much about this - that's why there's a sub to take care of those low frequencies anyway. Plus, we can only expect so much from a 2-way components, rite ?

They were not very fussy about location from the look of it - sounded pretty nice in a Waja cabin with tweeters in the stock dash pods and mids in the usual door panel. I suppose with some soundproofing done on the doors, the mids could have carried a bit more impact though overall sound quality was worth the money paid. I've not tried the new Type R range from Alpine but compared to the older version - grey poly cone with red Type R marks on the mid bass cone, the CS sounded more accomplished and performed more consistently with all sorts of music IMHO.

Now ... for a little spoiler though in your best interest - BEWARE OF FAKE INFINITY SPEAKERS that are flooding the market. Please ensure that the seller is providing you with local agent's set with full warranty. Otherwise, walk away and take your biz elsewhere.

Thanks,
VaN.

Hi Van,

Thanks for the valuable input.

Yupe, that's the correct one. I'm not too much of a person who's actually going for competition specs speakers. Since your initial impression were positive, I might gave them a try. And you are correct as well referring to those grey poly cones Type R.

In fact. I'm having those right now. The plan is to replace the stock speakers in the front with these Infinities and have those old Type Rs sit in the rear while a sub would do most of the low frequencies. Of course, I have an Amp driving them.

Yup...I'm aware of alot of fake Infinities flying around. Thanks for the heads up....

I think my setup would suit my preference very well...

WJ,

He may just PHASS out if he heard the sticker price for those compies.

Cheers,
VaN.

Ade,

Glad to be of some help. Just thought though .... you may wanna reconsider shifting the Type R comps to the back since you have a sub for the subsonic duties. IMO, once there are comps up front, a pair of co-axials at the rear would provide just the right amount of rear fill without over-powering front stage. Imagine sitting in a car where the vocals and tunes are coming from both front and rear of the car.... kinda confusing for the listener don't you think so ? The Infinity Reference co-axials would be just ideal for the job and provide you with an identical sonic signature of the Reference comps. up front. As for the Type R .... SELL, SELL, SELL !!!

Thanks,
VaN.

Sell my type R?.....kinda sad letting them go....:p...how bout not having a sub but the type Rs at the back...their mid is quite punchy...

Well, if that's worse than having a sub (I was thinking Alpine SWD-1600, the ones from Stephen's friend) and the co-axials...then i think i shall abandon it and go for the sub and co-axials...

Phass...that is sooo out of reach...I won't spend that kind of money...just my preference..:)

Hi Ade,

Well, you could switch the Type-Rs to rear-fill duties and forgo the sub but you will need to tune the rear comps to softer levels in terms of loudness. Otherwise you will end up drowning or matching the front comps level - which results in vocals and tunes coming in from both ends of the car. Do bear in mind that without a sub in place, low end response could be lacking but if you're not a bass junkie this should not pose much of an issue.

Cheers,
VaN.

Ade, would you be keen on 3 used Blade valve amps? If you have not blown your ice budget, perhaps I can give you an alternative. Dont really have to spend a bomb :)

Top Bottom