Hunting for E39 523 or 528

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

indiedrotz

Club Guest
Dear sifu, im currently hunting for e39 prefacelift that comes with 35-45k price tag either 523 or 528. but my knowledge about e39 is quite little. so need help from all sifu here. my questions are:1) what are the common problems for e39 (m52) engine?2) which area i need to look carefully before buying the car to avoid buying a lemon car.3) how much i need to spend for wear and tear parts (once i get the car) to make the car back to its pristine condition? is 10k enough or should i spend more?thank you.

Thanks bro haywire. Such a good article. Just finished reading that article. Makes me want to buy e39 tomorrow. Haha

get the 525 instead of 523. same cc but different hp. 528 hp is a bit more than 525 but it is higher cc. at the end of the day it is your money & your like.

Just a reference:

523i - 165bhp 245Nm

528i - 190bhp 280Nm

525i - 192bhp 245Nm

530i - 231bhp 300Nm

540i - 286bhp 420Nm

M5 - dont ask, hehe

indiedrotz;784835 said:
Dear sifu, im currently hunting for e39 prefacelift that comes with 35-45k price tag either 523 or 528. but my knowledge
about e39 is quite little. so need help from all sifu here. my questions are:

1) what are the common problems for e39 (m52) engine?
2) which area i need to look carefully before buying the car to avoid buying a lemon car.
3) how much i need to spend for wear and tear parts (once i get the car) to make the car back to its pristine condition? is 10k enough or should i spend more?

thank you.

Dear indierotz,

Me not a e39 tifu but 2 months ago i just bought an M52 E39 523 1996 model.

1. I'm 2 months new to e39 so i guess i can't give absolute answer.
2. Must bring to your trusted knowledgeable mech and check the car ESPECIALLY the chassis, if the accident is serious most probably the signs will show, and also check if the engine has been overheated before bcoz overheated engine is the best candidate for a lemon.
3. Maybe less maybe more than 10k. When you check the car beofre buying, you n your mech shud be able to identify the things that must be replaced first. Then ask your mech to give estimate prices of all the parts that must be replace immediately after buying, so you would not be in shock after buying it.

10k is good. Excluding my new absorbers and new anti roll bar complete kit which hasn't arrive yet, myself had spent RM8k plus already. Most of the things i replaced still can be used but i don't know how long they will kaput so i like to keep track of when i changed certain parts so i'll know when to change them again in the future. Roughly items are:

All pulleys includiing tensioners
All beltings
Water pump
ATF oil
Axle oil
All radiator hoses
Fuel float (got petrol smell whenever car is parked)

And roughly the parts i changed to try to get the factory E39 driving pleasure are:

All front door rubbers
All front body rubbers
Sunroof rubber seal
Jack stand rubber under car.
Used air cond duct in the engine bay
New accelerator cable
Boot actuator
1 door actuator
4 new PZero Rosso tires ( body goyang during paying for these tires)
Under floor cover
and few more things that not too worth mentioning...

If includes the new absorber, ARB and m-sport springs, my bills will come to RM14k plus. But what a ride....

Tq.

Top Bottom