how well is E36 rustproof

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sam1741

Club Guest
hi all...is it all E36 have rustproof finish under the paint?or is it after certain year only bmw start doing thisand i like to ask, is the rustproof really good on E36?if the car is lower and have scratch the bump quite a few times... on under the body, will it become rust later?thanks in advance ...

yes the e36 is almost rust proof due to the galvanising coating. However, it will rust if the coating is damaged to accidient, etc.

Yup bmw undercarriage is quite low compare to others. Normally I drive slowly thru hump. I also keep a can of anti rust spray like a tar in my boot & inspect/spray undercarriage whenever jack the car. If not mistaken all BMW produce after 1989 got the antirust coating & should be good unless like bro jarance said. Another thing must always wash the car & not let the mud be too long on the car:top:

yes, the E36 has a fully galvanized body, however like u mention the undercarriage seems to have lost quite a bit of the coating due to a lowered ride and humps scratching over time...

initial M, where to get the spray u were talking about, can i hv some details.. i need one too.. thx

cheers...

sachseelan;376927 said:
yes, the E36 has a fully galvanized body, however like u mention the undercarriage seems to have lost quite a bit of the coating due to a lowered ride and humps scratching over time...

initial M, where to get the spray u were talking about, can i hv some details.. i need one too.. thx

cheers...

Last time I got it from my spray shop less than RM50. Its wurtz brand. Try to ask paint shop.

oic...
than if have scratch the undercarriage before.. than must check for any sign of rust
if there r no sign, than cover up with the antirust spray, than it will be OK right?

if have rust... than is already too late... right?

from my experience on driving old car....
every other things , can be repair
but rust.... it just wont goes away once there is some

sam1741;376973 said:
oic...
than if have scratch the undercarriage before.. than must check for any sign of rust
if there r no sign, than cover up with the antirust spray, than it will be OK right?

if have rust... than is already too late... right?

from my experience on driving old car....
every other things , can be repair
but rust.... it just wont goes away once there is some
Sam..as long as the rust can be cure without using torch/weld, it should be okey..
Saw few E36 badly rust esp in the battery tranny in the rear boot..:rolleyes:

oic.. thanks bro
than batt compartment must be check also

i know should be the acid leaking from the battery causing the rust?

sam1741;376999 said:
oic.. thanks bro
than batt compartment must be check also

i know should be the acid leaking from the battery causing the rust?
Yeah too bad..sampai I tak jadi nak beli kereta tu...:listen: you have to look carefully underneath the carpet..dun look underneath the car, you won't see anything coz the anti rust were so damn good!!it prevent the rust from 'tembus' thru the floor! but the rust is actually there...:eek:

some of the prime spots for rust on an e36's

1) rear booth ( battery compartment )
2) rear booth ( spare wheel compartment )
3) petrol tank area ( if you're prone to always filled it up with full tank )
4) front and rear mirror area ( if you're using a woofer in the rear, be prepared for the rear mirror to be lifted up )

As for undercarriage area ...it's subjective as it highly depends on how low your ride is and how frequent do you rub onto the speed breakers .....

therefore it would be better if you could spend some $$$ for a total new paint and some anti rust coating with it say every 5 ~ 7 years once ........

Mr sam you may inspect my car pictures in the show room thread ....

thanks Iceman.
the information is useful
i will go to see your car pictures in the thread

i really scare of rust.... all other things mostly can be repair..

btw, just wan to add one point that i read from online article
another place prone to rust are

5) the front fender area bottom where it meets the door and rest of the body.

bro sam

not only the fenders ...another area that i've missed out in the rear internal mudguard ....the anti rust may be thinner by now ....

Bro....
one thing.. check under the carpet in your car.. i've got some rust caused by soaked carpet... well you know we have monsoon season. best solution, get that carpet out of the car and start paint the anti rust tar in it. wait for a day to cure then put the carpet back on :)

Top Bottom