How Urgent is the "Inspection" warning?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Barry

Club Guest
Guys,Need your advice here. A few days ago, my E34 dashboard started to display the 'Inspection' warning/notice. Just wandering if I can continue to drive it, say for the next 2 weeks, before sending it in? Any ideas?

dude,

how often do you service the car?

if u r asking this question, seems u just got the car... so wud suggest u send it in quick, since u wud not know the service history by the previous owner...

why on earth wud u want to continue to drive it for a few weeks and send it in later? what's the difference, other than to risk expensive damage to your car? i assume u r too busy... so imagine this... during one of ur very busy days, ur car breaks down... it costs u more time and $$$ to repair. now, u got no choice but to interrupt ur schedule anyways to fix things....

so, any way u look at it, regular maintenance saves you money and time in the long run... take care of ur udm and it will take care of u... the udm is not the sort of car u can just pump gas and go... don't treat it like a japanese reliamobile...

You can run it for a couple of weeks as long as you dont clock up a lot of mileage. inspection 1 is just basic stuff. nothing much to worry about if you've been keeping your car in tip top condition internaly of course! :p

Can we tell if it is insp I or II from the dashboard warning light? I tot we hv to look at the mileage to determine? Barry, what's your mileage?

no problem as I drove mine for a few weeks before getting my mech to reset it after a visual+modic check.. Sending it to AB will cost you a bomb..

Donno about 1 or 2 - didn't notice it but will check it out. The engine's in top condition, I'm certain of that. It's not like I'm into thrashing the car.

Anyways, spoke to the mechanic and he says it's okay to continue driving. I'm quite busy these days, err actually, I'm ALWAYS busy. So many things to do but so little achievements .... :cry:

Do you reset the service light everytime you service? In fact, do you follow the service light? I stopped folllowing the service light already. Oil change every 7,500 km and major service every 15,000km. Of course, in between I will visit Ah Foo just for the hell of it to ask him to jack up the car to take a look.

Sometime I will change something that takes my fancy.........but somehow some parts just refuse to break down hence cannot upgrade :(

I am particularly upset with my engine - it's too healthy and slim. It should be fattened up with 2 extra pistons.......

It's just a reminder that Inspection is due. There's a margin for you to continue driving. It isn't a problem at all and I don't think you risk any damage if it's just a 1-2 weeks delay (unless you drive down to Spore and back very often in the course of the 2 weeks, heh!). So, don't worry! Your manual would say something like "as soon as possible" or "at your next convenience", I think.

The last time my inspection light suddenly appeared it was due to a leaking clutch pump. Drive half way no clutch. So if your inspection comes on suddenly it is better to go and check it out first.

If there there is a clock icon, it also means its the annual checkup (nothing to do with the green lights running down). I normally ignore the inpsection (with clock) light until my mileage (or green lights) run down first.

Like most of the forumners have mentioned, its down to your history with your car.
However if its a recently acquired car, then you should take it in for a checkup. Better to be safe than sorry.

cheers.

Yeah, ngkm, it's got the clock icon on the left side of the 'Inspection' warning light. So, it appears to be just an annual warning light - my goodness how time flies, then again, I don't think it's already one year since I last serviced it.

If you have a "clock" tell tale sign, that means that it is time to flush and change brake fluid and coolant.

These two items degradation is a function of time not usage. Normally, it lights up every 2 years.

Oh, I see... if u're busy, never mind... keep driving until something breaks or u see smoke coming out somewhere... after all, all those inspection lights put in by those pesky german engineers are only to hassle us to keep buying bmw parts and labour, they don't mean anything... u can safely ignore it for another 100,000 km or so... especially since you just serviced your car less then one year ago...

Top Bottom