How to differentiate a E60 HiLine?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AhTu

Club Guest
Hi there, I am thinking to upgrade my current ride from E39 to E60. My budget is around 210+/- and there are some offers from local dealers for a recon Japan Spec Hi Line 2006/2007 model.I don't have any idea of E60 spec. So, can anone guide me how to tell whether it is really a Hi Line? Thank you,Ahtu

Bros, go check one of the threads in this forum - this was discussed before...

Again, a lot of people are not sure whether this hi-line thing really exist (as in originally from BMW) or it is just the importers here making it more marketable.

The only full options ones from BMW are the M-sport models as far as we far concerned.

What the importers do is to fit the body kits, steering, etc. and label it as hi-line so they can sell it at a premium...is this right?

Peter Sauber;590322 said:
Bros, go check one of the threads in this forum - this was discussed before...

Again, a lot of people are not sure whether this hi-line thing really exist (as in originally from BMW) or it is just the importers here making it more marketable.

The only full options ones from BMW are the M-sport models as far as we far concerned.

What the importers do is to fit the body kits, steering, etc. and label it as hi-line so they can sell it at a premium...is this right?

Thanks Peter. I found one unit of so called 'Hi-Line' from a local dealer and it is tagged at 225k++, made 2007 Japan spec. Well, it has wallnut trim, 10 srs, 17"rim, real shade roller, multi-function steering, leather seat and etc.

My E39 is having similar accessories but it wasn't quoated as 'Hi-Line' when I bought it in '06. Hmmm... confusing.

Comparing to this price tag, I can get an unit of 2006 MSport. Now, really don't know which to buy?

Go for M-Sports bro. No regret. Better spec and higher resale value. Make sure it is a genuine factory fitted M-Sport so no need to worry about upgrading to M-Sports kit later like most of us do...he he. Do check the VIN online to ensure it is manufactured the same year as claim by the salesman. Don't trust the JPJ registration card either.

Perhaps get the LCI model if it is available.

there is no such thing as Hi-Line spec'ed e60 from BMW...its the marketing term created by the dealer here to sell a better spec'ed e60 at higher price...

since it is almost possible to specify all the fittings and accessories when ordering the car in Japan and UK, the e60 there comes with so many different type of spec.

a highly spec'ed e60 should have xenon lights, active steering, i-drive professional, UV protective double glazing, sunroof, electric comfort/ sports seats, Hi-Fi sound system or Logic 7 and etc...

I agree with Zidee, get the M-Sports Model. U can get the E60 at quite a reasonable price now especially towards year end.

zidee;590450 said:
Go for M-Sports bro. No regret. Better spec and higher resale value. Make sure it is a genuine factory fitted M-Sport so no need to worry about upgrading to M-Sports kit later like most of us do...he he. Do check the VIN online to ensure it is manufactured the same year as claim by the salesman. Don't trust the JPJ registration card either.

Hi Ah Tu,

I totally agree with zidee, t2ribena and xeto.

Highly likely there's no such thing as hi-line from BMW...

If you really want accessorised unit or full options unit and of course better resale value get the original specs ones like M-sports or non-Msports from local dealers such as Auto Bavaria, Sapura, Quill, Ingress then you fit those options/accessories after purchase. Find out the price first for those items then decide. You can't compare light with light though as those items for a Hi-Line unit such as body kits, etc. are likely not original, so there's always a price difference there, meaning the Hi-Line units are normally 'cheaper'.

The good thing about units from local dealers like AB, Sapura, Quill and Ingress is you may have the full history of the car and for sure the correct mileage. Japan and UK specs grey imports DO NOT have real mileage for sure. The grey import units look good and clean as they really clean them well inside out before they put them in the showroom. Best still, some are given new coat of paint which can 'change' the car. Again, since human beings are easily swayed by visual, they like what they see as the car normally look good. Bad paint job can only show up after a few months though, haha.

Also, I have heard of some units which ran into problems a few months after purchase even though the mileage is ridiculously low relative to its age. On the other hand, some are ok. So you take a risk there but not sure worth taking or not. Cost of repair can be very high for many items. Imagine things like gearbox, hoses, alternator, water pump, etc. The list is endless for a car which has clocked up higher mileage than you think. haha

I speak not for the interest of the 4 local dealers as i have zero personal interest in these companies. :) haha

Sorry to some bros, just my 2 sen, and always stand to be corrected.

zidee;590450 said:

Agree with zidee ... I get VIN check at this website http://www.bmw-vin.com/ ... for $9.99 USD .. around RM30 ... Here is what i get from this VIN check ..

Vehicle information

VIN long WBANE520 ................. (Your VIN)
Type code NE52
Type 525I OL (EUR)
Dev. series E60 ()
Line 5
Body type LIM
Steering RL
Door count 4
Engine N52
Cubical capacity 2.50
Power 160
Transmision HECK
Gearbox AUT
Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)
Prod. date 2006-11-20

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
2NN M LA WHEELS DOUBLESP. 172 M/MIX.TY.
205 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
300 EMERGENCY WHEEL
302 ALARM SYSTEM
337 M SPORTS PACKAGE
339 SATIN CHROME
4M3 INTERIOR TRIM.FINI. ALU. CUBE PURE
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
502 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
508 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
522 XENON LIGHT
524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS
540 CRUISE CONTROL
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
612 BMW ASSIST
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
633 PREP.MOB. PH. BUSINESS BLUET.INTERF.
672 CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS
698 AREA-CODE 2
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE
775 INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE
8SA COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF NAVIGATION
8SM VIN, VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE
8SP COP CONTROL
812 ENGLAND VERSION
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
863 EUROPE/DEALER DIRECTORY
877 DELETION CROSS-OVER OPERATION
880 ENGLISH/OWNERS HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOKLET

Series options
No. Description
442 CUPHOLDER
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

To differentaite between the so called Hi-Line with M-sport, well to put it bluntly..the hi-line is plain looking without bodykit, whereas the M-sport with all the front/rear/side m-sport bodykit and nice M-sports rim.. of course, the speedo and steering comes with the M-sport logo, plus the suspension is firmer (not too hard like the sports suspension though)..

hope that helps..

Hello all sifu,

Thank you very much for your input and advices. Sorry for my late response because I just got back from a business trip.

I am glad to read your advices on E60. I had seen few units of M-Sport and Hi-Line so far but most salesman couldn't explain in detail of the different between two. Now, got better picture!

Having some extra cash on hand that makes me itchy to get one righ away. Geeeee.... Is it advisible to get one now or wait for another 2 weeks?

r37720;590868 said:
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM

can someone explain this

if i'm not wrong it is the voice recognition option for phone and sound system (or maybe other commands as well)..mine has this option but i hv never used it, haha

Top Bottom