How long does your absorbers last?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Fireblade

Club Guest
Am getting mixed info from parts suppliers on shock absorbers available for an E30. Some say that with standard height springs the absorbers will last about 1 to 3 years. Others say that with lowered springs it will only last a year! This is with using standard spec absorbers. So, what have you guys experienced so far? It would help if you could tell me also the brand & type of absorbers you are using.

BOGE Gas + Terra springs = 1 week !!!
BILSTEIN Sprt + Eibach = 3 yrs +
KONI + Eibach = 2 yrs +
HotBits = 1 month = too hard !!

GAB gas - rear = 1 mth - mounting pee-ciah worr .

I shared similar predicament too...go for Bilstein shocks!! They last for a long long time!! For comfort, get the touring (black), for a more sporty handling, get the yellow (sport) if you don't mind the harsher ride. The touring is already 15% firmer than the stock Boge shocks, and I have these on my car :)

Originally posted by Fireblade@Aug 15 2005, 06:01 PM
Am getting mixed info from parts suppliers on shock absorbers available for an E30. Some say that with standard height springs the absorbers will last about 1 to 3 years. Others say that with lowered springs it will only last a year! This is with using standard spec absorbers. So, what have you guys experienced so far? It would help if you could tell me also the brand & type of absorbers you are using.
I'm running std. SACHS on my rear they have been absorbing shocks for the last 3 years with no signs of wear. :D

it depends on the springs it is mated to, Eibach is progressive rate meaning initial compression is low then get progressive harder. and for other springs, most are linear rate meaning it's hard all the way. But don't quote me for this, just something I read from somewhere.

Bilsteins are longer lasting than others but oso depends on the kind of roads u travel on everyday. the more oscillation it goes thru daily, the faster it goes.

Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 16 2005, 12:11 AM
it depends on the springs it is mated to, Eibach is progressive rate meaning initial compression is low then get progressive harder. and for other springs, most are linear rate meaning it's hard all the way. But don't quote me for this, just something I read from somewhere.

Bilsteins are longer lasting than others but oso depends on the kind of roads u travel on everyday. the more oscillation it goes thru daily, the faster it goes.
spot on Fabs,

i had the bilstein springs- yes bilstein springs(but made by eibach) :p
which was packaged with the bilstein sports, both had progressive rate

perfect for daily commuter and occasionally spirited driving....

now some lucky dude has it on his ride, he smiles from ear to ear when asked about his suspension....... :D

Originally posted by Fireblade@Aug 15 2005, 06:01 PM
cbr900,

absorbers have a set travel length, when compressed, a much higher pressure is put on the system, and there's the dampening rate to consider

lowered springs have a much higher rebound rate, if not coupled with a matching absorber with the matching dampening rate, the absorbers will be pressured to more than it can handle( compress and de-compress)
thus standard absorbers will not last as long as it was designed for

on occasions lowered springs causes absorbers to bottom out, meaning the internal parts of the absorbers are on collision course each time there is a compression and de-compression- not good at all

you can mix and match absorbers with lowered springs and set, but are those people you consult truthful enough?

one good example is 535i's M40, over the years we have been comparing notes on suspension, but he being a super driver, :lol:
certain setups don't get him horny....... :eek:

but overall he has far much more experience in matching up absorbers with springs...... :yes:

1.sachs abs +standard stock spring= 3 years
2.koni abs+eibach......cheh.. :angry: the worst.
3.koni abs+apex spring..whoa...?? damn shiok...but the shocks last me 1 year only.
4..apex abs+apex springs(combo)= the best i got so far...the shocks won't last any longer then 40k mileage...as i was told la.. :)

now... :( the front shocks is too soft to my liking. :beaten:

Good info guys. I'm looking at getting the Bilstein HD, with the outside housing diameter of 51mm (the TC is 45mm) but so far no dealer has any stock or not willing to bring it in. They only got the TC - which I dont think will last long on my lowered E30. But looks like there isnt much choice at the moment unless someone can get the HD for me. Would love to get the yellow Bilsteins but its too costly.

HD ... ptuuiii .....

E36 running on Sport, E30 Evo running on HD ???
Not fair .....

Pisau Api .. a few of us a going down for Spore drive .. Can kirim what ...

Better to get the Sports! The shorter sports abs will go well with the lowered spring. If you cant find in Spr, i can help to bring in from USA. How?

especially for E30s, the height of the absorbers matters, Bilstein has shorter shocks for E30 to match with the lowered springs

or just fork out a bit more and get coilovers..........

I have tried 4 types - standard (which are probably BOGE), BOGE turbogas, Bilstein black and now Bilstein yellows. IMHO the Bistein yellows are the best match with my EIBACH Prokits.

I cannot comment on longevity of the shocks-springs since I kept on changing shocks until recently :) ..... but I am VERY happy now :yes:

My guess would be - match them properly and they should last a good span of time.

Its a good idea to go with spring and shock combos, if you are lucky enuff to get your hands on them e.g. teejay's former set (in UK they are popularly referred to as a SPRINTLINE kit).

Lets not forget that these are all quality stuff we are talking about here and most are TUV certified ...... cant argue with that right?

where can I get them Bilsten yellows? and how much?
what about the Eibach prokits springs? where and how much?
I've asked around but only got the price of the Bilstein yellows which were quoted at rm 1600 for a set (rear and front).

I'm new in this market so please help a brother out :D

Eibachs are generally around RM1200 (inclusive of workmanship) available at most good dealers.

535i- Unless u r willing to sponsor then I'll go for the sports. Find out how much the HD & Sport costs in S'pore.

Alvin- Your offer sounds interesting, so how much la?

TJ- Coil-overs are good but dont think really useful for the kind of driving in KL. Agree with u that sports shocks are much better for shorter springs.

Originally posted by Fireblade@Aug 16 2005, 03:18 PM

TJ- Coil-overs are good but dont think really useful for the kind of driving in KL. Agree with u that sports shocks are much better for shorter springs.
eleh.... :p

forgot you had coliovers in front and rears.....adjustable summore......upside down summore.....!!!!

but those were the good days ya......!!!! :lol:

RedZ4/Fireblade........ RM2+k for yellows (if you were quoted 1.6k thats a really good price..... you should post up the source!)...... RM800+ for blacks (bav auto SS2 etc)...... RM800-1100 thereabouts for prokits (hup shun etc.) ...... it pays to shop around..... hokomoto has good stock of E30 bilsteins and konis..... bear in mind in most cases only the large diameter shocks are stocked so u guys with the small tube strut inserts may have to terliur aje OR special order OR retrofit the larger 325i struts (318iS and maybe 323 osso can) :lol:

Got my bilstein yellows in Singapore, becos could not find big body struts here. Had to grease my way through customs to bring it back. However were told by Eng Soon (in Sin) that they will not be bring in e30 shocks as there were no market for them in Sin, actually got their last set.

Originally posted by Fireblade@Aug 16 2005, 02:18 AM
535i- Unless u r willing to sponsor then I'll go for the sports. Find out how much the HD & Sport costs in S'pore.

Alvin- Your offer sounds interesting, so how much la?

sponsor ??? U siow or what ?
Contact in Spore given already to you .. somemore ask me to find out .. ceh !!

For Coca Cola perasa Vanilla, get the HD enuf lah !!

Top Bottom