High price for branded tire ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

esther_chan90

Club Guest
if you know that the price for certain brand of tires expensive, will u still go for it ? I personally think the Michelin tires are expensive yet still so many people buying it. does it really value for money ? just survey from different shop and compared the price.Michelin Primacy 3 ST - RM440 Quicksave USJNeuton NT8000 - RM220 Weng Heng Bukit Kemuning the price for 3ST can buy 2 pc of tires for Neuton. what do you think ?

Excuse me Esther , what is the size of tyre that U referring too ... care to share ..

tyre price is generally an indication of its quality. question now is how much quality do you require?

Just like insurance, comprehensive or 3rd party, which is more value for money?

eter;854431 said:

That depends how much your vehicle is worth and how much it'll cost to repair it. As for tyre, you can't judge it purely from price point. Tyre twice the price of others isn't going to be twice as good but will inherently be better. As for is it worth twice as much, that's for you to decide.

And remember the small tyre contact patch is the only thing keeping you on the road. You wouldn't want to compromise too much on price vs quality.

Ya I support mizhan. More expensive means that it has more value lo... I personally have the P3ST. So far very fuel saving and comfortable more me... I am planning to change these wheels for my gf as well...
[video=youtube;xj90yhYym58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj90yhYym58[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I support mizhan. More expensive means that it has more value lo... I personally have the Michelin P3ST. So far very fuel saving and comfortable more me... I am planning to change these wheels for my gf as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj90yhYym58

excelrace55;854484 said:
Ya I support mizhan. More expensive means that it has more value lo... I personally have the P3ST. So far very fuel saving and comfortable more me... I am planning to change these wheels for my gf as well...
[video=youtube;xj90yhYym58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj90yhYym58[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I support mizhan. More expensive means that it has more value lo... I personally have the Michelin P3ST. So far very fuel saving and comfortable more me... I am planning to change these wheels for my gf as well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj90yhYym58

an insider told me the comparison between the 3ST is Continantal Max Contact 5. after i do a research the MC5 is not create for quiet. they should compare with Yokohama DB. so sometime dont always listen to their advertising should see it and feel it by our self.

There is a difference with the quality with big brands like Michelin and Continental. I'm using Michelin for my 23 year old E30, currently using the XM2 'Green' tyre... after running 47,000km (1 year 8 months), the rear tyres are still like new....
For the front tyres, using BF Goodrich (sister brand of Michelin), now at 78,000km (4 years 8 months), with 2 track day outings... Almost time to change... but still have some life left on it....

The lesser brand tyres which I have used before in no way can match the grip and long lasting performance of the bigger brand tyres...

Some tyres after 50% tread, it hardens and becomes noisy... Some can retain the same performance till it get to the indicator except for wet weather performance as it still need sufficient groove depth to disperse water...

But 1 thing for sure, the tyres are the only thing to keep the car on the road... It would only take 1 occasion for the tyre to fail for disaster to happen... Think about that... I don't drive fast all the time but when I do I know I can trust my tyres to keep me and my car on the road...

When it comes to tires..it really is a very subjective topic. IMHO, people do not drive it to the limit enough to REALLY tell the difference between tires of the same category. Most of the time you'll hear people saying "yeah X brand is quieter" or "Y brand has more grip in Z condition", all of these are anecdotal at best with many other factors not considered.

But like all the other sifus mentioned, tires are the main thing keeping your car on the road. You will have to identify what is important to you when looking for tires. Is it longevity? dry traction? wet traction? noise? comfort level? price? brand? After you've weighed your needs, then you look for a tire that best suit your requirements.

Generally, a long lasting tire (i.e hard compound) will have less traction compared to a ultra high performance (UHP) tire which generally has softer rubber. Harder sidewalls (performance tires) will give a slightly harsher ride than those with squishy sidewalls (passenger tires). Performance tires will generally be slightly noisier than passenger tires, but if you're opting for performance then the noise probably isn't gonna bother you much.

The brand will basically give you peace of mind because you can expect them to have a certain level of quality which corresponds to the brand's reputation, but what is more important is comparing the TYPE of tires. For example if you compare a Michelin Energy XM2 to a Nexen N8000 in terms of traction then the Nexen N8000 will definitely have an edge because the N8000 is a UHP tire while the XM2 is a passenger tire. Nexen is cheaper while the Michelin is premium priced.

It all boils down to choosing the right type of tires based on your needs, based on your driving style, your financial means, your preference etc etc. I hope this little blurb helps in your decision making process, I can relate to how frustrating it is trying to decide on the 'right' tires for your car.

Agreed with what 2wenty6 said. It really depends on the usage and what you are looking for in a tyre...

For me the price difference isn't that big... the XM2 for my size is

eter;854431 said:

What I wanted to say was some of the value in a good tyre is not apparent until you really test it in an emergency when you stomp on your brake. Even a few inches of early braking can mean big repair bill or none at all. That's when one of the value equation comes in.

I think michelin is worth the money because it really is very durable and energy efficient. If you feel it is expensive, you can always wait until promotions here. Hehe, I got this Travel Emergency Gadget last month.
x3f0.jpg

Your love's one safety definitely more important than the money la...No need to thin twice to get better quality tires that no need to change it within one year time lo.

In my opinion, if a certain reputable brand/quality of tyre meet your requirement and it is half or 2/3 of the price of the premium one, i will buy the cheaper and change every two years instead of or 4 years. The reasons being new tyre are always better and quiet, every tyre get hard after a year or two regardless of brands and price.
My observation over the last 30 years. Just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, if a certain reputable brand/quality of tyre meet your requirement and it is half or 2/3 of the price of the premium one, i will buy the cheaper and change every two years instead of or 4 years. The reasons being new tyre are always better and quiet, every tyre get hard after a year or two regardless of brands and price.
My observation over the last 30 years. Just my opinion.

I just changed Michelin PS3 215/45/17 tyres for RM516 each tyre. Is it worth the price?

My Champiro HPY tyres are the best bargain tyres I have ever used. Rated Y ie 300km/hr top speed. UHP tyres. Used them for 1 year/35k km and still have enough bunga. 17 inches tyres... 1800 ringgit for all 4 at Leon's Quicksave in USJ. Gonna buy another 4 next week. Best to change tyres every 1 year. Don't wait till almost botak. Fresh rubbers for the rainy season!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

crusher;854839 said:
I just changed Michelin PS3 215/45/17 tyres for RM516 each tyre. Is it worth the price?
That's a very good price for PS3.

- - - Updated - - -

crusher;854839 said:
That's a very good price for PS3.

Top Bottom