Help! "Some" oil leaks from the engine area

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

julianf7

Club Guest
Notice that there are oils leaking somewhere around the area of my front right tire...Havent got the time to go to workshop yet, car's driveable but worried bout the leaking...Can you guys help me to identify what is the prob?My N42 engine has been overhauled in Feb, this year, gearbox seals, gasket etc replaced in Apr...Auto Raco (workshop that i went to) told me that my powersteering oil leaks but it's just a small prob...Is the powersteering pump/oil container located at the leaking point?Have checked brake oil n engine oil, everything looks okay...
IMG00023-20120619-1841.jpg
Plz advise n thanks a bunch :top:

julianf7;752601 said:
Notice that there are oils leaking somewhere around the area of my front right tire...
Havent got the time to go to workshop yet, car's driveable but worried bout the leaking...
Can you guys help me to identify what is the prob?
My N42 engine has been overhauled in Feb, this year, gearbox seals, gasket etc replaced in Apr...Auto Raco (workshop that i went to) told me that my powersteering oil leaks but it's just a small prob...
Is the powersteering pump/oil container located at the leaking point?
Have checked brake oil n engine oil, everything looks okay...

Same as mine. I get used to it. Keep on monitoring your oil level. Mine also change everything. But recentlt i noticed my VCG leaked already. Try get underneath your car and check the source of the leak. :top:

julianf7;752601 said:
Notice that there are oils leaking somewhere around the area of my front right tire...
Havent got the time to go to workshop yet, car's driveable but worried bout the leaking...
Can you guys help me to identify what is the prob?
My N42 engine has been overhauled in Feb, this year, gearbox seals, gasket etc replaced in Apr...Auto Raco (workshop that i went to) told me that my powersteering oil leaks but it's just a small prob...
Is the powersteering pump/oil container located at the leaking point?
Have checked brake oil n engine oil, everything looks okay...

Same as mine. I get used to it. Keep on monitoring your oil level. Mine also change everything. But recently i noticed my VCG leaked already. Try get underneath your car and check the source of the leak. :top:

Looks like the source from a steering box. Happened to mine a couple of months ago

Source of the prob, steering rack...
Fixed it at Bomin Auto yesterday, shud be fine by now but John asked me to check out on the high compression hose (for steering oil) as well coz the hose was stained with oil when the rack was replaced...therefore, a bit difficult to tell if that leaks as well...if that leaks, gonna cost more than RM1k for a hose.....dang......

Went to Bomin again yesterday, leaking on power steering hose and gear hoses (gearbox)...got it fixed...the car's maintenance has really cost me a bomb LOL

julianf7;752990 said:
Source of the prob, steering rack...
Fixed it at Bomin Auto yesterday, shud be fine by now but John asked me to check out on the high compression hose (for steering oil) as well coz the hose was stained with oil when the rack was replaced...therefore, a bit difficult to tell if that leaks as well...if that leaks, gonna cost more than RM1k for a hose.....dang......

High pressure hose can be repaired by replacing the metal connectors at both end. Leak usually is from these two connectors. However, most workshop would not bother to replace the connector as they need to send the hose to an engineering workshop to do the replacement. Instead they will ask you to buy new hose.

Herbert;754069 said:
High pressure hose can be repaired by replacing the metal connectors at both end. Leak usually is from these two connectors. However, most workshop would not bother to replace the connector as they need to send the hose to an engineering workshop to do the replacement. Instead they will ask you to buy new hose.

Which shops that offer pressure hose repair?

julianf7;754048 said:
Went to Bomin again yesterday, leaking on power steering hose and gear hoses (gearbox)...got it fixed...the car's maintenance has really cost me a bomb LOL

Are u sure it's not the reservoir that is leaking? I was told that the reservoir is the easiest to get faulty because of aging if compared to other PS parts.

Not sure whether the hose is leaking or the connector but have changed those hoses (including for gearbox as it leaks too) :p
reservoir, nope, coz the car is running okay with no leaking now :)

Hi bros,

when you guys mentioned the N42 had done the overhaul, do you guys do full overhaul or top overhaul only??
thanks...

cheers!!!

Top Bottom